choosing graphics card?

zerugaze

I need a new graphics card and it must have at least---

3D graphics processor with Vertex and Pixel Shader capability with 128 MB VRAM - Such as an ATI Radeon X1600 or NVIDIA 7600 class card or better.

I have a max output of = 350 watts (18A) and a budget of around £70
Quad core PC with 6GB DDR2 (RaM), HD monitor

any recommendations appreciated, i really dont want to get the wrong card and have to mess around sending it back and find a new one. =)

Zach

The hell are you talking about? Nvidia has been known for rock solid drivers for years and years.. ATI on the other hand..

Anyway... that's not a lot of money to spend on a graphics card.. It's not something you want to skimp on either, especially with that system.. Though your PSU is a little underpowered..

The best thing to do is go to a popular site that deals with your currency, and just browse through their deals.. I am very happy with my 8800 GTS 512MB but its old by most standards.. If you go for Nvidia you want a card that is at least as good as that.. and make sure its based on the G92 core.

Well I try to update my card drivers and then blue screen so my experience use the drivers of the cd and never update lol

onewecallgod

The hell are you talking about? Nvidia has been known for rock solid drivers for years and years.. ATI on the other hand..
I know we'll never agree.... But I do have to say I'm a little disappointed in nVidia's drivers in terms of running dual monitors and SLI settings. Then again, no one told me running 8800GT in SLI would be painless.

Well I try to update my card drivers and then blue screen so my experience use the drivers of the cd and never update lol
That's the worst piece of advice I've ever heard on this forum. I ought to ban you for saying that.

To the OP: you NEED to get a new power supply right away. Running a quad with only 18A max is extremely dangerous, especially if you have a supply from a garbage company.

Zach

I agree I am disappointed with some of their latest drivers too, but was just making the point they have a good track record..

Besides.. how is the update taking place is also important.. If you're using the shitty brand drivers that come with the card that can also be a problem..

I always use drivers straight from Nvidia. Regardless you should uninstall the previous drivers first if you are having problems, but especially if you're switching from some manufacturers drivers to Nvidia OEM drivers

Last edited:

Zach

I have used TV out from time to time, to test things out...

TV out is only worth it though, if you have Component or HDMI on your card and TV.

You can get away with composite and s-video if you simply are trying to TV-out an emulator like NES/SNES, etc.. But if you want to be able to see a clear picture and use your PC on the TV like on a Monitor, then Component or HDMI hooked up to an HDTV /LCD TV is what you'll need..

My 8800GTS 512 came with an adapter to split the output port into RCA x3 Component (R/G/B) and even my old Geforce 6800 came with an adaptor box type thing to do that..

Component/HDMI is where its at.

the_EMU_kid

Anyway... that's not a lot of money to spend on a graphics card.. It's not something you want to skimp on either, especially with that system.. Though your PSU is a little underpowered..

The best thing to do is go to a popular site that deals with your currency, and just browse through their deals.. I am very happy with my 8800 GTS 512MB but its old by most standards.. If you go for Nvidia you want a card that is at least as good as that.. and make sure its based on the G92 core.

true play it '
The way was meant to be played

the_EMU_kid

Don't make senseless replies, especially when they're lame one line marketing slogans.

cant take a joke :glare: but the fact is that most games and even emus are optimized for Nvidia card ,even if Ati card reach a higher framerate its not stable like an Nvidia card ,

Last edited:

Zach

Got proof to backup that assertion?

Being optimized for a specific brand of hardware doesn't mean every other brand is "unstable". It just means there are tweaks that allow the game to be more efficient on Nvidia hardware. ATI has deals with some companies for the same thing, or at least has in the past. It's nothing but marketing. They provide hardware for developers to test the game on, and probably pay a good deal to get their name and logo on the opening credits of those games.

This has nothing to do with stability.

If you want to make "jokes" in the future, then make sure they don't break the forum rules.

Last edited:

ZjnMater98

My 8800GTS 512 came with an adapter to split the output port into RCA x3 Component (R/G/B) and even my old Geforce 6800 came with an adaptor box type thing to do that

jeruka9-san

Rookie Developer >_> <_<
i have simple hd4350 and vga to s-video conventer

Dailenth

I guess you're not aiming for the modern gaming titles. Because for a price of 70 pounds is extremely weak.
If you're going to play oldschool games and 2D Indies I believe GT730 Is a good deal.