Emulator Problem: Emulator will not read discs

Psykira

I went looking through this forum and could NOT find any useful information, so i thought i would put it in a simple questions that would get a simple answer.

I have the PCSX2 emulator, i can get the bios to boot and i can format the "memory cards" but it wil NOT recognise a game, and no i am not getting an error message other than the cannot load patch message. can ANYONE tell me what i am doing wrong and how i would fix it to where it will play?

And before you start asking if my system is good enough, i assure you it is all the spec info i have seen on this forum as recommendations to run this emulator, my comp could run it twice at once easy. Brand new system.

And i ask you PLEASE not waste my time, if you do not have anything useful to say or ask please do NOT post. this thread is designed to get useful information for those who cannot figure out why they cannot get their emulators to work. And this is for the PCSX2 emulator, not one of the ps1 emulators, and yes i do have the most updated version i could find.

If you have any questions that you need to ask me to help me please ask.

retroguiden

Man of Many Talents
I went looking through this forum and could NOT find any useful information, so i thought i would put it in a simple questions that would get a simple answer.

I have the PCSX2 emulator, i can get the bios to boot and i can format the "memory cards" but it wil NOT recognise a game, and no i am not getting an error message other than the cannot load patch message. can ANYONE tell me what i am doing wrong and how i would fix it to where it will play?

And before you start asking if my system is good enough, i assure you it is all the spec info i have seen on this forum as recommendations to run this emulator, my comp could run it twice at once easy. Brand new system.

And i ask you PLEASE not waste my time, if you do not have anything useful to say or ask please do NOT post. this thread is designed to get useful information for those who cannot figure out why they cannot get their emulators to work. And this is for the PCSX2 emulator, not one of the ps1 emulators, and yes i do have the most updated version i could find.

Although I don't find your post very humble I'll try to get you started as far as I can. I cannot however give you a simple answer. There rarely is one when dealing with advanced emulators that's not nearly finished. Not based on the info you've given anyway.

First, instead of telling us that your computer is good enough and that you have the latest version of the emu, you could just post your specs and the emu version to avoid any doubts or misinformation further along the line. This info is important!
We (or at least I) need that and more info from you.

The first BIG question:
* What CD/DVD plugin are you using and have you done something to the default configuration of it?

Now, other helpful things assuming there's nothing wrong with the DVD plugin:
* What is the "cannot load patch" message? How did you arrive at that and what does it say exactly?
* Are you running the game from an ISO or from a real disc?
* What game is it?

Let's start with those!

Last edited:

Psykira

System Spec:
Manufacturer: HP
Model: Pavilion dv7-1245dx notebook pc
Processor: AMD Turion X2 dual-core Mobile RM-72 2.10 GHz
Memory (ram): 4.00 GB
System type: 64-bit Operating System

I was saying what i have is good enough because all the spec requirement info i have read this unit matches or beats, and the Emulator either loads to the PS2 menu or i get isoReadBlock: ####### > 2126

the ####### is a representation of the numbers that repeatedly count up
and i get that with PCSX2_0.9.4 by simply choosing run CD/DVD, i also have to use the PCSX2t application, if i use the PCSX2 application it says Failed to allocate enough physical memory to run pcsx2, and asks if i want to launch pcsx2t.

if i use the click-2u pcsx2 0.9.2 and i choose run cd/dvd it boots the ps2 menu, however will not read the disc.

as for the game, the only game i have tested was Soul Calibur 3

other games i currently have easy access to are Warriors Orochi 2, kingdom hearts RE:Chain of memories, Shadow Hearts, Shadow Hearts Covenant.

I hope this is enough info for you

FatTrucker

Abusus non tollit usum
You don't mention what CD/DVD plugin you're using for PCSX2 or whether you are running from original media or a downloaded ISO?.

Your problem at the moment clearly relates to its inability to read and/or find the game you're trying to run so its likely to be either an incompatible plug-in or an issue with the actual disk or image itself.

The reason vanilla PCSX2 won't run is because its an XP optimised build and you seem to be running on Vista, you could try running it in compatibility mode for XP, or you could try the 'PCSX2 Playground' build which people seem to be getting good results on. PCSX2t is known to be slower and doesn't use virtual memory afaik which is probably why you're getting a memory allocation error.

With regard to your specs, you will struggle to get playable framerates with that processor with PCSX2. The current requirement for decent speeds is a fast dual core processor and a 2.1Ghz Turion isn't a particularly quick one in terms of pure number crunching (which is what's required for emulation).
So even when you get it working its likely to be very choppy. You don't make any mention what graphics card is in there.

Looking at the specs if you're running from a Laptop its highly unlikely you're going to get a good result.

The reported specs for PCSX2 are what are required to make it physically run they don't necessarily equate to the spec required to run it at a reasonable or playable speed. They are making fairly regular improvements though so it might be more compatible with slower systems in the future.

Last edited:

Psykira

ok i have been trying the disc itself, and the disc is in near new shape, i take good care of my games.

As for the recomendation for the PCSX2-PlayGround version the Click-2u PS2 Emulator works faster, and sadly the Playground one still runs the PS2 menu at a near normal speed to my eyes, it is just that the image is a little jumpy.

As for the Rom plugins, i have tried all of them and they will either not load t all, load just the PS2 menu, or give me the isoReadBlock message.

And again i would like to point out i am running the Game Discs not images, rips, copies or any other not actual version of the game.

FatTrucker

Abusus non tollit usum
Everything I've managed to uncover so far recommends using the P.E.Op.S CDVD plug-in when using original Media with PCSX2, however everything I've managed to find indicates its specifically written for 2000/XP so I don't know if its Vista causing your problem.
It could also be an ASPI problem although I would have expected it to chuck an ASPI specific error message at you if that was the case. Might be worth downloading an ASPI layer from somewhere like Adaptec though just in case.

The only other suggestion I can make is to make an ISO of your disk and try booting that via the emulator instead.

Not sure how things stand with PCSX2 as I've not tried running ti with the original media, but I know from experience with ePSXe and PSX that often an ISO will run perfectly when the disk the image that same ISO has been made from won't.

I think a lot of the time its because the drives in the PS1 and 2 are so comparatively primitive compared to modern drives that modern PC drives don't read and write the data slowly enough to work with the emulated system.

Psykira

Then i shall ask a very stupid question, how do i make an ISO of a game, i need to know how to do it and what file/files i need to look for to do it. Also will i need a program to do it, i saw something mentioning isobuster so i got that but i am not sure what to do with it.

neohxc

I solved this issue.

Basically when I loaded the iso image on my windows 10 desktop I was getting a disc error message. I was using a zip program that didn't tell me the percentage of the file unzipping. So the problem was I wasn't unzipping the entire file and then I tried to load the iso image in the emulator. I would try to use a unzipper like Pea Zip then you will know the file has unzipped to 100%. When it is 100% unzipped then your game should load. Also make sure all the files are in a separate folder and run it from there. Peazip doesn't do this automatically.

This worked when I went back and tried a game that didn't work previously. Hope this helps. Thanks!

Last edited: