Am I missing a file in this ISO?

retroguiden

Man of Many Talents
Um, yeah. So I thought I was going to play a copy of Akumajou Dracula X Chi no Rondo, also known as Castlevania: Dracula X on Ootake. But when I unpacked the RAR file I couldn't find a single file to mount. (I almost always use Daemon tools). There are 2 (!) cue files but no bin file. I was told this RAR held the entire game. What am I missing or not seeing/understanding?

Isofiles.jpg

FatTrucker

Abusus non tollit usum
Actually I would be interested to find the answer to this too as I have exactly the same problem. I have a .cue file for the game that isn't recognised by anything as a .cue file.

Not sure if its a borked copy or if the formats are screwed somehow?. The filesize is correct so I'm presuming its a format rather than content issue. Particularly since I grabbed mine from a very reliable source for everything else.

Its worth noting that all the other PCE - CD games I have have the exact same issue so I'm thinking its something we have to do with the files beforehand, as opposed to a problem with the files themselves.

I had forgotten all about this after giving up a couple of months ago. You've rekindled my interest in getting it going again now though, so I've got some of my special winged emulation monkeys on the case as we speak.

Will report back if I find a fix.

Last edited:

retroguiden

Man of Many Talents
Its worth noting that all the other PCE - CD games I have have the exact same issue so I'm thinking its something we have to do with the files beforehand, as opposed to a problem with the files themselves.

I haven't bothered testing all games, but Metamor Jupiter and Castlevania Rondo of blood extracts mountable files.

When I looked through the files again I noticed that the 'cue' files contained references to wave files and *not* mp3's. Could this be a clue? Do we need to convert the MP3's to waves? Could that be it?

Looking more closely I found this info in a text file:

Audio tracks had been encoded in MP3PRO. So you MUST use a Mp3Pro COMPATIBLE decoder , in order to convert mp3 in 44100Hz 16Bits Stereo Wavs.

Any suggestions on a good converter that will do the trick? (And why have they bothered to make MP3's of the files in the first place?

You've rekindled my interest in getting it going again now though, so I've got some of my special winged emulation monkeys on the case as we speak.

Will report back if I find a fix.

Ok, normally I don't like monkeys, but in this case it's "Go monkeys, go!" :D

FatTrucker

Abusus non tollit usum
Some of mine actually have a batch file to convert the various audio formats to .wav. Some are in .ogg, some are MP3. But the .cue files I've got aren't recognised as .cue's with any CD manipulation software.

Much the same as yours all the PCE - CD games I've got feature file number 2 and the last one as an .ISO.

tgxcdzg1.jpg

tgxcd1ok5.jpg

Last edited:

FatTrucker

Abusus non tollit usum
Well I've managed to get all of mine except Dracula X running. For some reason it still won't recognise the .cue as any kind of disk media file. So if you've got a happy .cue file for it I'll do you a swap.

I have all the batch converters for .MPC, MP3, OGG etc to .wav now, all very one click and easy to do, so if you want em sent over, chuck me your email address or MSN via PM and I'll pack em up and send em over.

retroguiden

Man of Many Talents
Damn, I thought I was going to beat you to the solution. Seem I was a few hours too late. :p

However, I have only tried and solved one game so far and that just happens to be (insert fanfare here) Akumajou Dracula X Chi no Rondo. However, strangely enough the voice during the intro sequence seem to be german..?

The original problem was that Daemon tools couldn't handle MP3's, right? So I converted them (could have used your batch file there) to wave. However, DTools was still complaining and the problem this time was that the sample rate was too low. So then I had to convert the files to 44.100 Hz (aka CD quality). I used Audacity for all these conversions by the way.

After that my cue file, referencing wav files was accepted and the game played just fine in Ootake.

Now, I want your batch files. Do you need anything from me? :D

FatTrucker

Abusus non tollit usum
The working .cue for Dracula would be great thanks. Just pm me an email address or MSN and I'll send the batch file stuff over. All of my other games are running fine now, so if you get stuck with any other non-working .cue's just let me know.

And the voice sequence is meant to be in German, they did that for 'authenticity' with the subject matter apparently!.

Jale

Actually the game is the Track02.iso file, but you need to convert those MP3 files to CDA format as well. They're like that to save space for downloading.

FatTrucker

Abusus non tollit usum
Ok I've managed to fix Dracula X (at least in part). I opened up the .cue with notepad and changed all the .mp3 MP3 entries to .wav WAVE. The game boots now and after some tinkering with the PCE.ini file I can get sound effects too. Still no CD soundtrack or dialogue though. So I think I have a problem with the way my .ini is setup.

When you get a minute would you copy and paste a copy of your PCE.ini file? Cheers.

Edit: I've managed to get it all running ok with Ootake so at least I know my sound files are ok. Now just got to try getting the CD Soundtrack working with Magic Engine.

Edit Again: All sorted now.

Last edited: