Pokemon FireRed

fiddlefox

ok, i have Visual Boy Advance, and everything is up and running, BUT, when i go and save (i save it in the file menu where it says "Save", kinda obvious, and i save it by pressing SHIFT + F1 [to save it in a slot, to reopen it later]), the save file is saved as a .SGM, and the Slot isn't there anymore (i even checked it had "written" the slot after i pressed SHIFT + F1, and it was there), i open up VBA, and then i go to recent, nothing there, i go to Load, nothing there either, i try and Drag my saved file (Name.SGM) into VBA, and a message pops up saying it doesn't support that file.
My question is, how do i save my game properally? (either making it a .GBA file so VBA reads it, or keeping it in the load slot, or some other way, i need help-- it's really fustrating).

Thanks guys!
(BTW, this is my first ROM experience, so, u may need to explain some stuff, just lettin u know) :rolleyes:

Lefteris_D

Administrator
Staff member
Have you configured the folders? Go to Options > Emulator > Directories and set everything up.

Denopqrihg

maybe you should just press enter (or something) to bring up the menu in the game and save it there.

the SHIFT+F1 thing you're using is a savestate, and there are problems with savestates (I don't use them very often)

Chaos

Realy Evil guy
You might need to make an battery file from the export for save to work, i just reread your message and will ask, have you tried pressing f1 because, you won't find slot saves in load.

destinylord

ive the same problem with pokemon firered. I want to catch all the other pokemon when ive beaten the elite4 and my rival but i cant because i return to my last asve game. If i start a new game and i want to save with enter/save then i get a save error: please change the backup memory..... can somebody give me a patch or a link to the newest virtual gba so i cant catch all the pokemon;)

Chaos

Realy Evil guy
If you got it in an zip, there might be an patch file, look in the stickey topic one page behind of who to get it work, although you might have to restart your game toadly like i did

destinylord

Chaos do youve played firered on a virtual gameboy advance 2? if you did that and you can continue after beating indigo plateau can you send a link where you download your virtual gba and your firered cuz ive played the whole game 3times now but still cant continue:s

Chaos

Realy Evil guy
Originally posted by destinylord@Nov 27 2004, 07:20 PM
Chaos do youve played firered on a virtual gameboy advance 2? if you did that and you can continue after beating indigo plateau can you send a link where you download your virtual gba and your firered cuz ive played the whole game 3times now but still cant continue:s
Speak English!

destinylord

i will talk english ;) Chaos do you've played firered on a virtual gameboy advance to? can you continue with the game after you beat the elite four"? i can't. I have to save in the start menu but when i press save they said: save error, replace the backup memory. Maybe i need a newer Virtual gba edition so i want to know which virtual gba you have and where you've downlaod it.

belmont

You must patch it with the fix that is on the same zipfile as the rom.
If you don't have it here it is.

Attachments

• save_patch.zip
    305 bytes · Views: 969

Chaos

Realy Evil guy
Originally posted by destinylord@Nov 28 2004, 10:54 AM
i will talk english ;) Chaos do you've played firered on a virtual gameboy advance to? can you continue with the game after you beat the elite four"? i can't. I have to save in the start menu but when i press save they said: save error, replace the backup memory. Maybe i need a newer Virtual gba edition so i want to know which virtual gba you have and where you've downlaod it.
It Wouldn't save after i put in the patch but it worked when i restarted the game and Started an new game... Back to the orginals than
You may have to go menu, export, battery for the battery to work
Also thanks for speaking english :D

I got Vba 1.7.2

Crash

Ok, I read this page and figured out why my game was not saving and then decided to restart, the only problem is after I installed the patch and even exported a battery file I still could not save on a brand new game. But I could still save on my Leaf Green version, which I never played until after I got the patch. I'm thinking that there is something I am forgeting to do but I cant think of it.
Please help me.

Koden

if your using VBA 1.7.2 you must make sure that your emulator save type [set in options, emulator save type] is set to flash 128k I'm not sure if the top option needs to be flash but thats what i set it to be. I think you have to reset the game for it to work, not completly sure on that though.

Crash

That didn't work, I think I'm using the Save patch I got on the page wrong. I didn't really do anything with the patch, I just downloaded it and put it in the same folder as the game and played. My Leaf Green game is working with all of the original settings on the VBA 1.7.2 but the Fire Red won't.
So I think that the Fire Red is missing a file or the patch or something, and if I did have to do something with the patch instead of just leaving it in the folder then that must be it but I cant think of anything...... please help!

Crash

sweet it worked! The 128k flash thing didn't work until I changed my save type to SRAM.
So I guess you guys can omit my previous message, lol.
Thank you Koden for the info that really helped a lot!!

Originally posted by Crash@Dec 12 2004, 01:49 AM
sweet it worked! The 128k flash thing didn't work until I changed my save type to SRAM.
So I guess you guys can omit my previous message, lol.
Thank you Koden for the info that really helped a lot!!
Okay i have VBA 1.7.2 And I have FireRed Version, and i changed my settings to 128k Flah and Save type to SRAM, but i still can't save, it still says Error, Please Exchange the Backup Memory!!!What do i do? And when i start up the game it says.....The 1MB Sub-Circut Board Is Not Installed - What does that mean! Can you please post your FireRed Rom, as it seems to work for you! Can anyone Please help me with this problem?

Koden

have you tried loading the game with those settings and having the game start as a new game, like you just put in the game?

also try having the save type as flash instead of SRAM
edit:

After some testing i found that you must restart the emulator after changing the options. If you don't nothing changes aparently.

Originally posted by Koden@Dec 13 2004, 02:46 AM
have you tried loading the game with those settings and having the game start as a new game, like you just put in the game?

edit:

After some testing i found that you must restart the emulator after changing the options. If you don't nothing changes aparently.
Thanks, i'll try those!!

Originally posted by platinumspyro666+Dec 13 2004, 04:30 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (platinumspyro666 @ Dec 13 2004, 04:30 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Koden@Dec 13 2004, 02:46 AM

edit:

Thanks, i'll try those!! [/b][/quote]
No, it still says Save Error, Please Exchange the Backp Memory!! :angry: