not to emulate with a PC but how about with real hardware

houdini

OK, going to throw this out there:

I've read questions from people about emulating a PS3 and it seems to be regarded as not possible due to the processing power required to run an emulator which effectively sits on a box and uses some other sort of OS to then emulate the console OS and run the game.

So what if you built something out of the same hardware as used in the PS3 (it's available) and then simply ran the real games on that?

No roms or hacks etc but the same spec'd hardware to run the purchased games? Am I mad?

FatTrucker

Abusus non tollit usum
So what you're saying is why not make a PS3 from a kit rather than buy one that's already put together?.

That's not emulation thats actually running the games on the hardware they are designed to work with.

A bit like saying would Genesis emulation be better if you ran the games on a real Genesis rather than a PC???!!!!.

Am I mad?

I would say fairly borderline, yes.

Zach

I'm fairly certain there are bound to be proprietary chips and functions you aren't going to be able to get over the counter.. However this would be one hell of an interesting project.

Assuming the parts can be had, your biggest obstacle is either going to be obtaining chips that mimic proprietary function, and getting your hands on a BIOS, or BIOS code that can be flashed onto a chip.

I can't imagine obtaining the CPUs/GPU's is going to be cheaper than just buying the whole damn unit from a store though. Unless you plan to salvage a couple units that are otherwise dead, but have intact CPU's and other chips you can use.

You'll also have to be one hell of a wizard with industrial soldering

Last edited:

houdini

A bit like saying would Genesis emulation be better if you ran the games on a real Genesis rather than a PC???!!!!.

I probably should have discussed the emulation bit: you could basically spec for the top, most powerful one (PS#) but then use that to run the others. And of course you'd have to run something to emulate on the hardware because you wouldn't get the propoer OS. I know the Xbox360 is effectively just a PC wrapped in a nice box and all the stuff is available off the shelf, and the PS3 even uses that IBM chip.

retroguiden

Man of Many Talents
AFAIK, it's not the same IBM chip. I read somewhere Sony turned the first chip down, probably wanted something more powerful which took longer to develop. In the meantime IBM offered tha "old" chip to MS. Anyway, the punchline of the story I read was that in a sense, Sony had been paying development costs for the chip being used in Xbox. Something like that.

alcoatjez

Capo di Tutti Capi
Isn't Sony still making a loss on every sold PS3? That would mean building the machine you want would be more expensive than a PS3 :p

Zach

Well if you really must know, the correct way to say it would be "Isn't Sony still selling them at a loss?"

This lesson has been brought to you by the English on the Internet Union
Local 185

Boozle061083

8-bit soul
The blue ray player alone would eat up most of your project money. It simply can't be done for cheaper than the system is sold for.

houdini

The blue ray player alone would eat up most of your project money. It simply can't be done for cheaper than the system is sold for.

not neccesarily.youre thinking retail for a blueray player. pc bluray drives are cheaper now and you may not pay retail. also what makes you think i want to do it cheaper? :)

JoshM22

Well if you really must know, the correct way to say it would be "Isn't Sony still selling them at a loss?"

Local 185

LOL.

alcoatjez

Capo di Tutti Capi

Local 185

Haha, these forums even teach me something once in a while :D