Wouldnt This be Cool

DigitalxxxFr34k

Everything is about Portable... yeah its great lets do our favorite things on the go... YA... ok ok ok... we all think its kewl to be on a plane or a train sitting there with your DS or PSP... playing or Fav classic games using emulation technology, dont get me wrong i think its awsome my self thus one of the reasons why i bought a PSP that and square-enix ^.^

But dont you remember what it was REALLY Like playing these 8 16 32 bit games, sitting on the floor staring up at a glowing screen avoiding bad guys getting to the next level... or going on killing rampages just to get a mission done, what ever the situations was, it was always fun... intill u got a crappy game which 3 days after playing it you turned around and pawned it to put twords ur next game.

But anyways to the point, the kewl Idea, the kewl idea that will set you back in time....(almost), and would compleatly avoid some of these damn questions on when a certain emulator is going to be released for the new era systems

Make one System that can play Sega Gensis, SNES NES GB GBC GBA roms ... 1 CART!w/ SD/MCSD card 2 Controllers, and of course that hooks up to your TV so you can go back and stare up to that glowing screen again

Anyways sounded like a good idea to me specaily if it was STABLE and played Hacked version of roms and Imports ^.^ so if any one knows how to go about this lol which i would think if some one had a clue on how, they would be making bank right now but anyways just throw it out there i would totaly pay 150-200 bucks for it

FatTrucker

Abusus non tollit usum
You wouldn't get anything official or commercial doing it because the licensing would be a nightmare.....however. You can use a common front-end for all your emulators. Set it up with a couple of gamepads and you're away.

To see what I mean I made a post with my emulation setup over at Retrogamer Here.

If you look about 6 posts down that thread there are pics of Mamewah setup as the gamelist for all my emulators. The whole thing is controlled from the Dual Shock pads.

AnAutisticDog

Such Coin. Many Doge.
I think what your looking for is a Computer....?

alcoatjez

Capo di Tutti Capi
@FatTrucker: Wow, excellent setup!
May I ask how you did it with all your ROMs/pics? Which screenshot packs do you use or did you create them yourself? Which ROM renamer (GoodTools/No-Intro) do you use?

FatTrucker

Abusus non tollit usum
The roms on that one are all goodtools names.

Got the pics, boxart etc from www.localarcade.com/screenshotarchive

With Mamewah you basically either find or design a skin for each console, then configure that emulator gamelist using that skin.

Once you've set them all up you simply edit the config file for the controller you're using for things like switch emulator, up and down list, gamelaunch etc.

It doesn't show it in those static shots but all the games actually run a short AVI showing the game in action, rather than a still screenshot. You can get these from www.emumovies.com

You can set it up to play sounds from a folder while you're browsing, either mp3's etc or the arcade ambience track, you can use it to launch a startup movies before the gamelist loads, play custom sounds or speech for startup, shutdown and gamelaunch, exit to windows, exit and shut down your PC. It comes with a layout designer which you can use to assign your artwork and gamelist fields over your chosen background.
You can pretty much set it up to do whatever you want. Its has a pretty steep learning curve to begin with but once you get the hang of it, its very intuitive and a really powerful tool.

I've posted a link to a vid of my mamecab here somewhere, if you can track that down you can see it in action with all the sounds and everything running.

DigitalxxxFr34k

I think what your looking for is a Computer....?

no no no not a computer i know about computer emulation im not that much of a newb, lol im talking about a system that hookes up to your tv Via AV cables so you can play it on a BIG screen not a little monitor,

And Using a SD Card or Micros SD Card

i mean if there is a way to play on ur computer using your TV please tell me... I do not have a HDTV i have a Beast of a Box 32 inch SDTV, my Svideo use to work on my TV but it fryed out so that is out of the question so... if there is other ways to do it please tell me

( i kinda wish they would make a VGA cord that would plug into the Red White and Yellow AV hook ups on my TV, now that would be awsome)

Last edited:

FatTrucker

Abusus non tollit usum
no no no not a computer i know about computer emulation im not that much of a newb, lol im talking about a system that hookes up to your tv Via AV cables so you can play it on a BIG screen not a little monitor,

And Using a SD Card or Micros SD Card

i mean if there is a way to play on ur computer using your TV please tell me... I do not have a HDTV i have a Beast of a Box 32 inch SDTV, my Svideo use to work on my TV but it fryed out so that is out of the question so... if there is other ways to do it please tell me

( i kinda wish they would make a VGA cord that would plug into the Red White and Yellow AV hook ups on my TV, now that would be awsome)

S-Video or Scart work perfectly well I would imagine you can get VGA to component adapters too.
Why would you want to run from a SD or MicroSD card?. I mean you can do it this way now and have a card with emulators and roms, but for the most part you would need to use a seperate card for each emulator and roms because of the limited sizes they come in so it defeats the all-in-one solution.

Far easier to simply hook a PC to a TV (CRT or LCD doesn't really matter) and set your emulators up with a front-end and gamepads. No disk or card swapping to be done, no installation, setting up or anything else just switch on pick your game and press start.
In fact for the majority of 8, 16 and 32 bit consoles and mame a standard CRT TV offers a better more authentic picture than a modern LCD TV as the games were designed to run on a normal TV originally.

alcoatjez

Capo di Tutti Capi
Thank you for your response, FT :)
I was hoping you would have them in No-Intro format. No problem, I will eventually try to make a setup like that with the No-Intro sets.
Do you know about the No-Intro Screenshot Archive? They have screens/titles for most No-Intro sets and they're working on boxes/carts/etc.

FatTrucker

Abusus non tollit usum
It will work just as well. The only thing necessary is that your artwork names match your rom names, so if your roms are in no-intro format then your artwork will work perfectly fine.

If you decide to have a go and get stuck let me know and I'll help you set up your ini and config files.

alcoatjez

Capo di Tutti Capi
Thank you for the offer, I will certainly get back to it.
I'm bidding ATM for a house together with the GF. I can't wait to make a nice setup when we're moving in! There will certainly be a Hotrod or X-Arcade with it, because there's nothing better than some oldskool arcade ;)