Emulate on PS3?

Roxmond

The Pro Gamer
Hello people, I want to ask something!
Have anyone try to install an emulate console to PS3?
Can it works?

Zach

You are asking if anyone have written emulators that run on the PS3? So that you can play NES/SNES/Arcade, etc?

I honestly don't know but I wouldn't be surprised if there are emulators out there. You just have to know what to look for. The PS3 is certainly powerful enough to emulate other systems (but don't expect to emulate Wii or Xbox games, etc)

Try using google searching for "x emulator for PS3" where x is the system you are looking for. You should get plenty of results for "NES emulator for PS3" for instance, I just tried it.

But I don't think anyone here has a any links to a specific project or home page

Last edited:

Roxmond

The Pro Gamer
I'm asking if the emulators and roms (like VisualBoy Advance) can played in PS3.
I mean if I can use my PS3 like a simple personal computer...

Zach

Well like I said, you need to find emulators specifically programmed to run on the PS3 in order to do this, and we don't usually deal with those kinds of emulators here... If you want a personal PC to run these kinds of things it generally better to just buy a... PC.

A home theater PC can be built or purchased pretty inexpensively these days, and then you'll be able to play DVD's, some PC games (depending on the graphics power required, HTPC's don't usually come with great acceleration capabilities) all the usual roms and emulators for most systems that don't require heavy 3D emulation, etc.. Easily hooked up to a TV with an HDMI port, or at least using DVI or component output (VGA sucks even though TV's include standard VGA. It's very limited)

So those are your two options.. search google or other console-oriented emulator forums, or buy an HTPC

sonicchaos90

I heard about emulation on the PS3 directly is a pretty much touch and go experience, apaprently you need a PS3 which supports playing PS2 games at first.

But if you install Linux then I suppose it will be a lot more easier that way. Just make sure you have enough HDD space for linux. I swapped hard disks from the PS3 and my laptop so now my PS3 has a 200gb HDD and I plan on experiementing with Genesis and SNES emulators on my PS3 because my PS3 doesnt support PS2 games.

Zach

If you install linux, PS2 compatability shouldn't matter.. PS2 compatability is probably only necessary if you are trying to use an emulator or Linux OS that was programmed for the PS2, in which case it would make sense. But outside of that it shouldn't matter.

MCP

Banned
You have to install Linux and than run a emulator wrinten for linux...I just goy myself a PS3 the other day and I think I'm going to put Linux on, though I'm not really a Linux fan.

Wolf1777

Woah, There making ps3's that dont play ps2? If thats true there goes any hope of them getting me to buy one. I was considering it because my ps2 is on its last leg.

Cant you also run Vista on ps3? Although I heard that its....not a good idea xD.

Zach

The newer models lack backwards compatability, not sure why they made the decision, but if you find out which model numbers are PS2 compatible, you can always purchase one used at a GameStop, or off Ebay, etc.

xplics

The newer models lack backwards compatability, not sure why they made the decision, but if you find out which model numbers are PS2 compatible, you can always purchase one used at a GameStop, or off Ebay, etc.

The decision was made to save money by taking the actual hardware and using emulation with the 80 gig model. So the 20 and 60 gigers have the hard ware for actual backwards compatibility. The 80 gig uses emulation. All other models DO NOT EMULATE PS2 games only PS1 games. Now I can understand the need to save some money and going towards emulating the games as done in the 80 gig model. However taking out the emulation is just greed on Sonys part by making people purchase another PS2 if the people do not own one.

Zach

Well a slim PS2 is pretty cheap these days anyway and I'm sure a lot of people just bought a PS3 and kept their PS2 anyway, so for the most part it probably doesn't matter.