Emulator Problem: Fusion speed problems

Davaros

While running Kega Fusion I can get perfect 60fps while in windowed mode, but as soon as I switch to full screen the emulator slows down to about 50fps. The game is barely playable and the music is horrible at this speed. I have a fairly powerful computer, so I know that that isn't the problem. The CPU is not overclocked.

Intel Core Duo 3Ghz E8400
2GB Ram
8800 GT 512MB
Windows XP

I've tried changing the resolution, turning off/on filters, changing the sound quality, turning off other applications, and even different roms. Nothing works.

I really like Fusion and I don't want to switch to another emulator. Does anyone know what's going wrong?

Zach

I don't really know what would be causing that.. You might want to ask over at the Kega Fusion forums.

Are you on Vista? and using the latest release of Fusion? I know there was some Vista specific code issues and some way to change things around.

Still at 50FPS it should not be going dirt slow

Zach

I wouldn't be surprised if SP3 was the cause.. If you can narrow it down to either changing a major software component (updating drivers, SP3, etc) or updating to a newer version of Fusion, then I'd say go back to the previous setup and see if it still causes problems. At least you'll have it narrowed down a bit..

However, getting help on the Kega Fusion forums is probably going to be your best chance.

flamingo24

Sui Generis Avis
I'm running XP Pro sp3 w/o any problems, try deleting the ini file, then reconfigure the emulator. Ensure the "no frame skip" option is not enabled, it is only used as a troubleshooting option. It won't skip frames anyway with the specs given and not recommended by the emulator author (snake).

Davaros

I think I might have figured it out. If I disable the sound in Fusion the emulator runs perfectly. It had never even crossed my mind before that sound that played perfectly in windowed mode would slow it down in full screen mode.

I have Realtek HD Audio sound, so I'm going to look around for an updated driver to see if it will fix the problem. I'll come back and post what I find out.

Davaros

Well I figured it out. I downloaded an updated driver for my sound card and tried a game. I had the same problems, but then I enabled "Use Alternate Timing" and everything works beautifully. Full speed in windowed and full screen mode.

Thanks for the help Zach and Flamingo24.

ROL

I have a problem with Fusion 3.64. I tried running it on laptop with Win 7 and when I double click on it the program does not start at all and also freezes computer I mean I can move cursor around but cannot start any program because it takes forever (even Task Manager). I even have problems with turning off the computer and once even had to take out the battery out because screen was black although computer was working.
I mean I've been using it on other computers with Win XP with no problems but when I try to use it on this, which is HP 635, this happens. I also read somewhere that in Win7 you have to switch from aero to basic in order to work and I did this but the problem remains.

So any solutions? I also have the same problem if I use Gens emulator.

Last edited:

VintageTorrie

Megadeth Fan
I can use Fusion on Win 7 just fine, don't know what the problem could be, maybe you have a virus?

Also, you should have made a new topic for this.

ROL

hm i don't think it's a virus because there's for instance lego batman 2 installed on it and it works fine but i can't run fusion or gens emulator. as if i have to set in windows something. i mean it's present in task manager as a running process but i can'r see it on screen and windows become very slow.