Project N64, Controller / minor graphics help

Shifty1776

Hello! This is regarding Project 64 1.6.

I have a (hopefully) small issue with my graphics and my controls.. Ill start first with the control issue, as this seems the most irritating

To start, I use Jabo's DirectInput7 1.6 (the default one), and to be able to use an N64 controller, i bought one of these:

http://www.4triangles.com/catalog/n64-to-usb-adapter-nintendo-64-to-pc-p-28.html

And it seems to work great, all the buttons function properly, except for the n64 joystick. The game I am trying to play is The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, and the only issue that I'm having is that when I try to move around, I just walk and not run around like normal. I tried playing around with the deadzone and range options, but they only seemed to make things worse (not moving at all, just turning in the desired direction).

And again, all the other buttons work flawlessly.

-----

Now on to my very minor graphics problem.

When on the pause menu, if I go to the "Equipment" subscreen (the one that displays available swords / shields / clothes) I get a big white rectangle on the left side, which looks something like this:

http://i547.photobucket.com/albums/hh470/Shifty1776/ZeldaGrahics.jpg

I can't quite remember what is supposed to be in that square, as it's been ages since I've last taken up the Master Sword. (this is with Jabo's Direct3D8 1.6 graphics by the way.)

If anyone has any clue on how to resolve these issues, it will be very much appreciated!!

Thank you :)

Shifty1776

for the first problem change the range:D if you dont know what it is ask:p

Thanks for the quick reply :)

As I had said, I tried to play around with that to no avail :(

I moved it 2% at a time, all the way down to 0% (started at 100%) and it just got worse. I don't know if that's the issue though, because I left the range at full, and switched movement to the D-pad, and it worked fine, but I would really like to use the joystick as that provides for more precise movement.

Last edited:

retroguiden

Man of Many Talents
Hello! This is regarding Project 64 1.6.

I have a (hopefully) small issue with my graphics and my controls.. Ill start first with the control issue, as this seems the most irritating

To start, I use Jabo's DirectInput7 1.6 (the default one), and to be able to use an N64 controller, i bought one of these:

I'm not familiar with the adapter but it isn't unlikely that the adapter is causing all this. But in the meantime, try another plugin lika N-rages DirectInput8 and see if it works better. Also, check in windows control panel to see that the gamepad works ok.

As for the graphics problem, try another plugin there and play around with the plugin settings as well.

ulaoulao

Controller Man
Staff member
Thanks for the quick reply

As I had said, I tried to play around with that to no avail

I moved it 2% at a time, all the way down to 0% (started at 100%) and it just got worse. I don't know if that's the issue though, because I left the range at full, and switched movement to the D-pad, and it worked fine, but I would really like to use the joystick as that provides for more precise movement.
- Calibrate your joystick in windows first. Make sure you get full coverage of your calibration box.

As for the second, I believe that is a pj64 thing. 1964 does not have that problem.

Last edited:

ulaoulao

Controller Man
Staff member
my opinion is also that its a plugin problem:happy:

That may have been the case. found this
RenderToTexture=4Effects of these settings:Accurate Texture Mapping (Off): Prevents inaccurate pixel rendering and icon sizes Normal Blender (Off): Fixes transparency in Link's hood as well as other rare object alpha glitches. Normal Color Combiner (Off): The default setting may be off, but if someone is unlucky to have 'accidentally' changed the default to otherwise, the game will look pretty messed up. That's what this option is for to back up. Primary Depth Hack (On): Fixes hard-to-notice polygon/textural glitches in the N logo at the very start of the ROM. Frame Buffer Emulation (Basic Framebuffer): Fixes background rendering when you press Start to pause the game. The setting with the smallest sacrifice of speed that still gets it to load. Rendering-to-Texture (Basic & Write Back): Smallest speed-costing option that lets you get away with fixing the rendering issue with Link's preview on the Equipment Subscreen.The ForceBufferClear paramater was removed. Though it fixes the buffer glitch when you pause the game in OOT, Rendering-to-Texture fixes that and Link's equipment preview at the same time, making this option pointless and a waste of speed deduction.
This is for Rice's Video Plugin. Also there is a hires pack for oot thats fixes it.

retroguiden

Man of Many Talents
I had to go check my own rom and yes, it sure had the white rectangle. Messing around with the settings did nothing until I discovered that the white rectangle only appears in resolutions above 640x480, not all but most I think.

As for the Rice settings, could you provide a link to it because I have trouble sorting that one out. But it's not impossible that a switch to Mudlord's Rice plugin might solve the problem since Rice has more options to be tinkered with.

Last edited:

ulaoulao

Controller Man
Staff member
try this.

http://www.coolrom.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1253 ( this is for topic related to this issue, If you can get free roms from here I no not of this)

if this link get deleted here was the verbiage.
I have found an alternate strategy to improve the GFX emulation of your Nintendo 64 games. This plan needs to be in it's own separater thread for a reason I hope you soon see. I'm sure some of you have tried the many different graphics plugins for Nintendo 64 emulation. But I don't think anyone here on CoolROM has used Rice's Video Plugin except for FD and maybe Kameo. You may have tried using it, but I'll bet you failed because it is the hardest plugin to activate for emulation usage for Project64. Reason being: It requires other dynamically located library files to support it. There are only three five-star graphics plugins out there:

* Rice's Video Plugin (does what Jabo's doesn't)
* Jabo's Direct 3-D 8 (does a little bit of what Rice's doesn't)
* GLN64 (****ty Direct-X 9 plugin hardly loads any textures)

Rice's Video Plugin was not designed for any particular emulator. It was designed as a substitute third party plugin for emulators with plugins that fail to process some graphics. Don't get me wrong; Rice's doesn't exactly process everything, either. But it is a very unique graphics/video plugin. It is, unfortunately, the most complicated plugin and hardest to configure for optimal emulation. But here's the cure: I've configured some Nintendo 64 games for you to be emulated with minimal, but not completely none, graphics glitches. I have spent the five past hours setting the perfect configuration settings for some of the Nintendo 64 ROMs I have, and I feel I have done what I could.

Before downloading the plugin I have linked to in this post, let's finish up here. You must know this. Rice's Video Plugin will sometimes be very disappointing in graphics performance compared to Jabo's GFX plugin that comes with Project64. But sometimes, it's vice versa. For example, Donkey Kong 64 has many geometry problems with pretty much every plugin except for the advanced GFX plugin made by Rice. The ROM is emulated almost perfectly now except for the bad zipper transition that may be because of the emulator PJ64 and not Rice's plugin.

One last thing, when you download the plugin, which I will soon give directions for activating, I ask all of you to help me out. I have only configured Rice's Video Plugin for you in about 25 out of the hundreds of N64 ROMs. When you get the plugin downloaded and ready, I would like you to post here your problems with Nintendo 64 emulation you get when using Rice's Video Plugin. When you post them here, I will download the ROM you report to me and try to add proper configuration for the game to fix your problem. I will also update the INI configuration file, the file containing the configuration settings for Rice's Video Plugin, with these incremements and post updates of the file to improve your emulation with this plugin. Do not attempt to configure the plugin yourself! You will get lost and confused, and you may even totally screw up the ROM emulation settings...though it depends on the programming simplicity of the ROM you're emulating. I have to admit that it's not usually that hard to screw it up by messing around. Even so, if you think you're such an expert at it, make a backup copy of the file in case you screw up.

To activate Rice's Video Plugin (beta 10):

1. Click here to download the ZIP archive containing the necessary files.
2. Go into the "Required DLLs" folder. Copy all of the files you see in there in the exact directory that your Nintendo 64 emulator is in.
3. Go back up a directory of the archive and then into the "Plugin" folder. Copy both of the files in that folder into the plugins subdirectory of your Nintendo 64 emulator.
4. Open your emulator and configure it to use Rice's Video Plugin. Being the plugin of the most largest file size, it will take awhile to load, but eventually, it will be ready.

This is my list of the ROMs I have configured optimal performance for Rice's Video Plugin into:

* Banjo-Kazooie
* Banjo-Tooie
* Bomberman 64
* Donkey Kong 64
* GoldenEye 007
* Legend of Zelda, the: Majora's Mask
* Legend of Zelda, the: Ocarina of Time
* Mario Kart 64
* Mario Party
* Ms. Pac-Man: Maze Madness
* Penny Racers
* Pokemon Snap
* Powerpuff Girls: Chemical X-Traction
* Quest 64
* Snowboard Kids
* Star Wars: Episode I - Racer
* Super Mario 64
* Super Smash Bros.
* Tony Hawk's Pro Skater
* Virtual Chess 64
* World is not Enough 007, the

I know that some of these ROMs work better with a GFX plugin other than Rice's, but some of them (DK 64 and Ms. Pac-Man: MM, for example) work best with Rice's. I would appreciate posted emulation questions on the performance of the plugin I have uploaded for the ROMs listed above as well as all other ROMs I have not yet added to this list. But people, one question at a time! Adding support for one N64 ROM takes at least 5 minutes to confirm perfection! And to avoid replicas of the same question, read the posted questions of other users here. Please, tell me when you see any GFX glitches in any N64 games so I can fix them! I will call the currect version of the INI configuration file version 1. Simply, no decimals or anything.

I just remember when playing OOT with 1964 I didnt have the glitch, but PJ64 did, though it could have been the plug-in.

Last edited:

retroguiden

Man of Many Talents
I found the right post and followed the instructions:

* Accurate Texture Mapping (Off): Prevents inaccurate pixel rendering and icon sizes
* Normal Blender (Off): Fixes transparency in Link's hood as well as other rare object alpha glitches.
* Normal Color Combiner (Off): The default setting may be off, but if someone is unlucky to have 'accidentally' changed the default to otherwise, the game will look pretty messed up. That's what this option is for to back up.
* Primary Depth Hack (On): Fixes hard-to-notice polygon/textural glitches in the N logo at the very start of the ROM.
* Frame Buffer Emulation (Basic Framebuffer): Fixes background rendering when you press Start to pause the game. The setting with the smallest sacrifice of speed that still gets it to load.
* Rendering-to-Texture (Basic & Write Back): Smallest speed-costing option that lets you get away with fixing the rendering issue with Link's preview on the Equipment Subscreen.

(ulaoulao previous quote with instructions was for those who want to edit the ini file directly, the changes above are made in the graphics plugin configuration as "usual".)

However, this only partly solved my problem since the white rectangle was replaced with a garbled image. For me, the best solution (other than trying switching emulator) still is to run the game in 640x480 resolution.