Game Problem: Trouble playing Doom

IronSideZer0

When I try and load the rom, nothing happens, it's just a black screen. But the white text shows at the bottom and says that the rom is fine. I'm playing on zsnes. What am I doing wrong? Every rom I've tried has done the same thing, so it must be my fault. Thanks.

Zach

You're not missing much to be honest.. You'll get a much better experience just using something like DOSBox and the original PC version. There is also the Doomsday engine, where everything is pretty much tweakable or your can turn it all off to mimic the original look of the game, including low resolutions in hardware or the original software modes.

I'm not really sure why it wouldn't work, maybe the emulator lacks support for any special chips or other technology that was used in the cartridge?

I've played it fine in ZSNES before but that was many years ago.

IronSideZer0

DOSbox works like crap on my computer for some reason, but i'll try the doomsday engine. Anything really important I should know before I go screw up my registry doing something stupid? (It's happened. Damn you Phantasmagoria 2!!!)

Zach

Well, you don't need to touch your registry for one..

As long as you have a decent graphics card you should be ok

www.doomsdayhq.com

You of course need the original WAD files for any games you want to use that the engine supports, and it does support a lot.. Doom, Doom 2, Ultimate Doom, Final Doom, Heretic, Hexen, prolly a few others.

Just be sure to tweak your graphics accordingly. It's a great engine, allows things that couldn't be done in the original like jumping, I think also bridges.. All kinds of nice lighting and particle effects. Playing it with all the details on really is a cool experience, even if its just 2D sprites.

There is also... Netplay :D

There are also graphics packs, for high resolution textures, 3D models of the monsters, etc.. Man now I wanna play again, haha

Last edited: