Keyboard/mouse to dualshock 3 emulator

dsfarfeg

I hate analog control for FPSs, so Im looking for a way to get kb/m working.

I know the primary option consists of a programmable adapter to emulate controller keys (a la smartjoy frag), but the one designed for ps3 is $100, and the smartjoy requires a bunch of adapters and is limited to ps/2 and ball mouse.

Is there a program I could run on my computer (Or on my PS3 if it inst much hassle) to emulate controller buttons and feed to my ps3 via usb, thus eliminating the need for the hardware? Ive done a little searching, but havent turned up anything.

Last edited:

dsfarfeg

google is your best friend.
Im not ignorant to the wonders of the internet. Does the fact that I understand that the console interprets signals from the controller, and that these signals can be emulated, not demonstrate to you that Im of some degree of technical knowledge such that I would have the capacity to use a websearch? How do you think I even found this forum?

Edit: Oh, and then theres the fact that I explicitly said I did some searching. Youre not very bright, are you?

Last edited:

FatTrucker

Abusus non tollit usum
Im not ignorant to the wonders of the internet. Does the fact that I understand that the console interprets signals from the controller, and that these signals can be emulated, not demonstrate to you that Im of some degree of technical knowledge such that I would have the capacity to use a websearch? How do you think I even found this forum?

Edit: Oh, and then theres the fact that I explicitly said I did some searching. Youre not very bright, are you?

I don't think you're going to find a software solution at the moment, meaning you're probably going to need some kind of custom made encoder (like the one you mentioned in your first post). A software solution wouldn't really be that effective anyway, because apart from needing your PC to be switched on and connected to the PS3 when you play, the information transfer time would mean any kind of twitch play would be impossible because of the lag between your PC receiving info from your Keyboard/Mouse, running that into a program, converting the signal, then sending it to the PS3. So really a directly connected hardware solution is going to be your only option.

Might be worth emailing Andy over at Ultimarc (who makes all the encoders for Mame arcade enthusiasts). I'm pretty sure he does adapters for last gen machines but I don't think he's knocked out anything suitable for the PS3 yet.

If he can't help directly he's more likely to know if anything else suitable exists.

One thing to consider is the sensitivity though. Console FPS that are designed for analogue Joypad controls aren't programmed for the pixel accuracy and speed that PC FPS are because they would be so sensitive as to be uncontrollable with a pad. So even if you find a suitable solution you might find the mouse controls just as sluggish and frustrating as using analogue sticks.

And yes the advice on Google was a pointless and unhelpful comment but there's no need to be rude. If someone makes an inoffensive post (however stupid) that doesn't solve your problem just ignore it.

Last edited:

dsfarfeg

Yeah, Id hoped that something written for the ps3 would be possible so that I could connect the kb/mouse directly to the ps3. Id also hoped that some form of acceleration would be possible, so that I could just swing the mouse wide and get an appropriate speed for acquiring my target. I generally turn the sensitivity up so that joystick turning isnt painfully slow, but then I can never get my aim on the target quickly enough to avoid taking excessive damage, as my aim just flies all over the place. Ive never really had this much of a problem until trying to play resistance, so maybe Ill fiddle around with the sensitivity some more to find a more comfortable spot.

I apparently felt like tearing a new asshole at the time... Such a suggestion is insultingly arrogant (especially considering the obscurity of my request), and this doesnt seem like a place that would host many trolls.

Ill get in contact with Andy then. Thank you.

ulaoulao

Controller Man
Staff member
I cant say this will work, but its worth a shot, try xpadder.