mame ctrlr editor

ulaoulao

Controller Man
Staff member
So I needed an xml reader for mame ctrlr files and finally broke down and made one...

For the un-know: Mame uses ctrlr files that are XML files to read in what input of said joystick goes where. My program runs out side of mame and allows a much more elegant approach to editing it. The files are used for special controllers like the XArcade stick. This should also work with the default files but it was not made for it. In theory this files will work with any xml, but the formatting is tailored to a mame ctrl file.

For the know: Hey if you can use it go for it. Yes I know there are XML readers out there and I know of one in game editor, but this is what I needed. So if you can use it go for it. If you would like to see a change name it. If you dont care then go away.. Bye now..

shot.JPG

For thoes of you that wish to have this or help beta test it get it here.. download

TODO:

1) There is a bug that wont allow saving if you run mame after ctrlr_editor is open. I think its a file lock issue.
2) Try to make a button mapper so you can press the button in ctrlr_editor is stead of knowing the code.

Last edited by a moderator:

ulaoulao

Controller Man
Staff member
Na its a flash app that I created with swf studio. So its going to be a bit big.

update, I was able to get the joystick button mapping work, stay tuned for the next release.

BTW: If you get grooveutil error you have to uninstall the groveutil by Microsoft office ( change / remove ).

Last edited:

ulaoulao

Controller Man
Staff member
Curious why you went with flash?
- Very good question.

To be honest, I never intended to release this.. I used flash do to the fact its ridiculously simple. That and the grafix are easier IMO.

But its actually swf studio not flash, but samey samey.

UPDATE:

The newer version uses joystick inputs and a button location helper. You can use the ctrl key to do a "AND" or "OR" when adding buttons.

FYI: Some controllers like smart joy use two buttons ID's for a button. Like the n64 B button used button ID 9 and 5. Gay... So in this case I just let it add both as I could not do much about it otherwise.. ( listed as a bug if there is interest ill work on it) The joy sticks also will add axis..

also it's important to remember a button id in the control panel will show 1,2,3,4.... the MAME GUI shows the button id's as 0,1,2,3... the XML shows it like the control panel 1,2,3,4.... In other words. in MAME button 1 on your joystick will show as button 0, but in this app its 1 to mach the XML.

shotv2.JPG

Here is the old v1 file.
Here is the new v2 file.

Last edited by a moderator:

ulaoulao

Controller Man
Staff member
LOL always a critic.. Its do to underground gamer uploads and that fact its on my server. LOL.. They are only 140, 398, and 412 k.

Ok I changed them all to jpg so they are all now 80 k, but I cant edit my post... If you wish just change the PNG to JPG ( case SeNSiTiVe) linux.. .

Last edited: