Play ROms on Official SNES

AnAutisticDog

Such Coin. Many Doge.
I want to buy a SNES and I need to know if there is an easy way to play Roms on the Actual system. I found a Cartridge for the NES that allows you to put roms on it then play it in the NES, but I cant find one for the SNES.
If anyone can help me out, it will be greatly appreciated.

EDIT: oops, I think I put this in the wrong section

Last edited:

alcoatjez

Capo di Tutti Capi
You will need a SNES copier. You're lucky, since SNES copiers are much easier to get than NES ones (I have 6 of them).
Check sites like eBay (you have to get lucky, since they're mostly forbidden there) or order one from Tototek.
BTW, you will need a decent size memory to play them. F.e. with a 16MB copier you can only play 2MB ROMs and smaller. Just devide the memory by 8 (Bit/Byte difference) to get the size of the ROMs you can play. Also, most copiers don't support special chip games, like Star Fox.

Last edited:

Zach

I'm still wondering why no one has invented a special loader interface that jacks console CART slots to a PC Serial/USB/whatever port.

Yeah it's not the PRETTIEST thing in the world to imagine, but beats having to go through the CART mess and get the proper size, etc.. and for games like Starfox, etc with SFX chips loading it directly off a hard disk would allow the console to still play them.

AnAutisticDog

Such Coin. Many Doge.
Well, seems too complicated. I'll just go buy a controller and use an emulator.
Thank you for the though

alcoatjez

Capo di Tutti Capi
I'm still wondering why no one has invented a special loader interface that jacks console CART slots to a PC Serial/USB/whatever port.

Yeah it's not the PRETTIEST thing in the world to imagine, but beats having to go through the CART mess and get the proper size, etc.. and for games like Starfox, etc with SFX chips loading it directly off a hard disk would allow the console to still play them.

IIRC you can play games by connecting the copier to a parallel port on your PC. Never tried it, since I only collect copiers and use them for (re)dumping for No-Intro.
If you would load a game like Starfox like you said, you will still need the SFX chip. There are some copiers in which you can plug another SFX cart and then play Starfox f.e.
Also, some copier have SFX support built-in.

Boozle061083

8-bit soul
Or just do like I do and use ZSNES like a rental service. Play any and all games that catch your interest and just buy the actual carts of the ones you really like. My library is only A++ games thanks to this method. The only reason I would have to use a loader would be to play prototypes or unreleased games that I would have no way of buying the real cart. Emulators are great and all, but unless you have a Media PC or a laptop hooked to your tv (also highly recommended), nothing beats sitting on the couch playing a game.

FatTrucker

Abusus non tollit usum
You're looking for a piece of hardware called a Super Wildcard. It comes in several versions with the 32MDX variants having better compatibility and fits into the snes cartridge slot. This will allow you to write any games in .smc format directly to a 3.5" Floppy disk, plug them into the unit and play them on your snes.

Xenepp

I don't see why some enterprising techy doen't build an SD/CF based cart like the R4 or NES unit over at retrousb. It'd sell like crazy. The SWCDX2 + IDE combo is great but far too expensive and elusive.

Jale

I was wondering the same thing, looking at all those crazy USB devices you can imagine...

peter35

It should not be technologically simple, although it is true that such an interface is missing. While to continue playing online here.

GASIYAT

Banned
You will need a SNES copier. You're lucky, since SNES copiers are much easier to get than NES ones (I have 6 of them).
Check sites like eBay (you have to get lucky, since th filezilla uc browser rufus ey're mostly forbidden there) or order one from Tototek.
BTW, you will need a decent size memory to play them. F.e. with a 16MB copier you can only play 2MB ROMs and smaller. Just devide the memory by 8 (Bit/Byte difference) to get the size of the ROMs you can play. Also, most copiers don't support special chip games, like Star Fox.

to play Roms on the Actual system. I found a Cartridge for the NES that allows you to put roms on it then play it in the NES, but I cant find one for the SNES.

Last edited:

hainz

You could use something like this, I understand that you just put the roms into memory and voila. but I don't know if the games run as they should

cartucho-flashcard-sd2snes-super-nintendo-2-mil-jogos-D_NQ_NP_779271-MLB27197031542_042018-F.jpg