Antvirus, Anti Spyware, etc

turokzone

Turok of the Turokzone
Looking for the best antivirus , antispyware, firewall, etc.

Tell me what YOU think is the best one. let it be for free or pay-to-use software

Mupen64 Man

Big fan of Mupen64
Staff member
The Best Anti-Virus Software out there has to be Sophos. Then the best anti-Spyware is Spybot Search and Destroy.

Mystic

Banned
I have to disagree with Mupen64.
IMO the best anti-virus is AVG
The best anti-spyware is Advanced WindowsCare V2 Personal

Combine those with your disc cleanup and disc defrag and you should be golden.

haSu101

Reaper
I am running McAfee powered by comcast, and I have to say I have yet to be infected, with anything.

retroguiden

Man of Many Talents
Since I wanted to run only programs that are free of charge I've found AVG (anti-virus) and Zonealarm (firewall) to be working great.

And referring to a mistake from AVG doesn't say too much about wether it's generally a good anti-virusprogram or not. I believe it is.

turokzone

Turok of the Turokzone
Personally I use Avast! and spybot S&D. for a firewall comodo.

Heard Panda the best antivirus though.

alcoatjez

Capo di Tutti Capi
And referring to a mistake from AVG doesn't say too much about wether it's generally a good anti-virusprogram or not. I believe it is.

Perhaps it's a matter of opinion, but I think it is.
When a AV-program does damage it does the exact opposite of what it whould do: prevent damage.

Mystic

Banned
That's odd, I've used AVG for a long time, and never had anything like that happen.

P.S. Advanced WindowsCare V2 Personal is amazing, it'll get rid of anything it can find (spyware, junk files, ect...) it'll even optimize in some areas for a little speed boost.

FatTrucker

Abusus non tollit usum
NoD32 here, excellent AV, catches all sorts of stuff that isn't flagged by many other AV's. I also use Zonealarm firewall, really effective and easy to set up and use.

Depends on what you're doing though, if you spend a lot of time lurking in the murkier areas of the web then decent security is essential. For general web use and browsing though, free solutions like AVG seem perfectly good.

for spyware programs i don't have right now, i use Avast Professional as antivirus and Auslogics BoostSpeed, disk diafrag thouse ;)

turokzone

Turok of the Turokzone
I heard Windows own firewall is so bad that you might as well turn it off and use comodo or zone alarm firewall....

alcoatjez

Capo di Tutti Capi
I heard Windows own firewall is so bad that you might as well turn it off and use comodo or zone alarm firewall....

I use it for years now and it works fine for me. I had Zonealarm (free edition), but I don't think that's much better.