Test Level 29
No No No Yes Yes No No No Yes No
Test Level 30
No Yes No No No No Yes No No No

Final Fantasy 7 and 9 are better...
Maybe be a little more specific?

Mystic

Banned
There's nothing that you really need to know to play it, turn it on and go. If you have a problem(black scree, emu crashes, ect...), that's where we come in.

ganjafarmer1

iight well to play it i have to download it in parts first do i need to download all the parts to play or can i just start with disc 1?

Mystic

Banned
No way Squall was a pussy compared to Cloud and Zidane.

Besides, you don't even update your weapons in 8. You get 1 and just add junk to it. You can get Squall's final weapon in disc one... fail...

notanemuexpert

Cloud was a pussy. Remember disc 1 after he gave Meteor to Sephiroth and you had to watch him whine about how afraid he was? I sure do because I just replayed 7 a few weeks ago in HD.

Squall was a good character because you watched as his character and personality contradicted each other. By the end of the game you noted incremental changes in his character as opposed to other main characters in the series.

I bet you're one of those fools who also thinks Sephiroth was more badass than Kefka, aren't you?

Newbie#1337

I gotta go with Mystic. 8 was garbage. There was no point in lvling up in that game. I would get squall really high lvl then monsters were his lvl but everyone els sucked. It was retarded. Was the plot good? Eh it was so so. Were the graphics good? Yes. Did the game still suck? Yes.

I am truly hoping for good things from FF XIII and Versus. But thats gonna be another gazillion years in the making so I'll be an old man by then and probably wont care about games as much then.

notanemuexpert

I gotta go with Mystic. 8 was garbage. There was no point in lvling up in that game. I would get squall really high lvl then monsters were his lvl but everyone els sucked. It was retarded. Was the plot good? Eh it was so so. Were the graphics good? Yes. Did the game still suck? Yes.

I am truly hoping for good things from FF XIII and Versus. But thats gonna be another gazillion years in the making so I'll be an old man by then and probably wont care about games as much then.

Wait, you leveled up in VIII? That only shows you no had clue how the game worked.

The game was amazing because of the fact it was unique. The game had the most in-depth character stat building system and actually expected you understand that you were supposed to stay as low as a level possible. Maybe dumbing down the series like they did with IX was a good thing; sorry you didn't understand VIII.

I also forgot to mention the fact VIII had the best musical score in the series.

Mystic

Banned
Newbie is completely right. Every RPG in the world works on the basis the higher lvl you are the stronger you are. So at some point in ever FF game you had to grind out a few lvls to progress. In 8 you can just haul ass through the story (which wasn't very good anyway, "Our summonz are stealing our memorys... oh noz!")

It just seems to me that Final Fantasy VIII was made for little kids who don't have the patients grind out lvls, and do all the side shit. FFVII had tons of side stuff you could do, plus it had all the weapons that let you test your skill.

Edit : Yes Sephiroth was a complete hard ass, did you see his big ass sword? You don't fuck with that :p

Last edited:

Newbie#1337

Again, Mystic is correct. I have replayed FF7 about 40+ times and it never gets boring. In truth I prefer playing games on the actual console rather than use an emulator. However there have not been many good RPGs lately. Unless you count the new RPG (Last Remnant i think?) for the 360 (which I dont own) so most of the good ones are the old ones for ps1/2. And naturally those are difficult to track down. But downloading roms online is illegal so I wouldnt dare do something like that. <.<;

In FF9 you had massive side quests and bosses/normal monsters that blew the final game boss out of the water. Such as Osmos.

In FF7 you have Emerald and Ruby Weapon. For me the fun part of this game is beating Emerald and Ruby weapon before reaching lvl 99 and without Knights of the round. It can be quit challenging without Omnislash or Knighs of round.

In FF8 alls you do is zoom through the storyline. I put that game down shortly after reaching disc2 and went and sold it at gamestop.

Mystic, what are your views on "The Legend of Dragoon" for the ps1? I rather enjoyed it although the graphics are a bit lacking the storyline is decent. And the attack technique deployment was very unique. I havnt seen an attack style such as that in a long time.

Mystic

Banned
Omg, I havn't played LoD in years. It's a great game though, Dart is a bad ass through and through.

notanemuexpert

Wait, you guys are seriously knocking on 8 because it was too complex for you? I mean I can understand why younger gamers like 7 and 9 more, but I'm not, so I don't.

The reason VIII is so great is because Square had the balls to do something different. It was crafted to be a more intelligent game than 7 and it succeeded in every way possible. VII had a terribly cliche, linear storyline that you could see from a mile away and the Materia system was crap compared to Junctions (again, in this case VIII had a really fleshed out, complex system and VII's was as basic as they come)

If your only excuse as to why the system sucked was because it was different than the others than you're what's wrong with gaming. Seriously? You condone improvement in quality? Maybe Square should just keep putting out piece of crap spin-offs like Crisis Core and Dirge of Cerberus then? Last time I checked, the majority of people like it when games pull off new game mechanics extremely well and that's exactly what VIII did.

One last thing, nobody likes level-grinding. It's been a major target for the Final Fantasy series ever since the beginning, it's called repetition; no one likes it. Which is probably why everyone hated Assassin's Creed when it came out (let's not go there, one of the worst games I ever bought)

So... let's review:

-FFVIII is more complex than VII
-FFVIII is harder than VII
-FFVIII is less repetitive than VII
-FFVIII is less linear than VII
-FFVIII has a less predictable story than VII
-FFVIII looks better than VII
-FFVIII has a better soundtrack than VII

Did I miss anything?

Newbie#1337

Um hi, did you ever notice that FF8 is the ONLY FF game that is done that way? Did you ever stop to wonder why it was the only one? Maybe cause it sucked? And if your only defense is "its unique" look at FF tactics, FFX, FFXI, FFXII, each of these are totally different from the standard RPGs. In Tactics its more about strategy and learning new skills with AP points. In X you have a grid where you can only learn a certain # of the skills on the grid and you have to choose wisely. In FFXI the entire freagin game is based on Teamwork and strategy rather than just lvling. I was able to get 3 max lvl jobs in FFXI with lots of God gear and all my gear and lvling and meriting equaled nothing. I could maybe almost if i was lucky kill something that was about 20 lvls weaker than me.

Please come back when you have a better argument. kthxbai

Mystic

Banned
How is FF8 harder and more complex? Running through the story line as fast as you can is hard and complex? I'll give you that it's less repetitive, because there was nothing to repeat. There's no need to lvl because no matter what lvl you are the game stays the same difficulty, so in reality if you could go straight to the last boss you could kill him at lvl 1... Dumb? Yes.

IMO it kinda defeats the purpose of a "role playing game" if your roll is just to kill the last boss as fast as you can. Seriously, no point to lvling + getting main chars final weapon upgrade in disc 1 = failed Final Fantasy.

Lastly, the story-line was just awful. At first you're going after that "which". Come to find out she's good, and was just being possessed, and holy shit every character has known her and each other their whole lives and just forgot?!?!?!
That's a huge stretch for a story line, and to top it all off on the beach they realize that it must be the summons that steal their memory (they pull that conclusion out of their ass, because they don't really talk it through), and yet they continue to use the summons...

There wasn't even any good memorable characters in 8. At least 7 had Cid and 9 had Vivi. The best character 8 had was Zell and he was a complete douche bag.

Did I miss anything?

notanemuexpert

Um hi, did you ever notice that FF8 is the ONLY FF game that is done that way? Did you ever stop to wonder why it was the only one? Maybe cause it sucked? And if your only defense is "its unique" look at FF tactics, FFX, FFXI, FFXII, each of these are totally different from the standard RPGs. In Tactics its more about strategy and learning new skills with AP points. In X you have a grid where you can only learn a certain # of the skills on the grid and you have to choose wisely. In FFXI the entire freagin game is based on Teamwork and strategy rather than just lvling. I was able to get 3 max lvl jobs in FFXI with lots of God gear and all my gear and lvling and meriting equaled nothing. I could maybe almost if i was lucky kill something that was about 20 lvls weaker than me.

Wait? Are you implying Square learned their lesson and chose not to do it because they knew VIII was a mistake? Hmm...

http://www.square-enix.com/jp/ir/e/explanatory/download/0404-200402090000-01.pdf#page=27

According to Square's financial records, Final Fantasy VIII is the second most sucessful game in the series... hmm.. Maybe it's because Final Fantasy is the RPG series notorious for completely re-working the style and gameplay of its predecessors in a unique way with each new installment.

You tried though, I can give you credit for trying.

How is FF8 harder and more complex? Running through the story line as fast as you can is hard and complex? I'll give you that it's less repetitive, because there was nothing to repeat. There's no need to lvl because no matter what lvl you are the game stays the same difficulty, so in reality if you could go straight to the last boss you could kill him at lvl 1... Dumb? Yes.

It's more complex because unlike the other games in the series there are several layers that affect the battles. Instead of being a basic RPG like 7 that required you to do nothing but gain levels for fighting, there was the principle of level scaling, levels AND junctioning. See how there's 3 main battle factors compared to the 1 in FF7?

Oh, and you seem to be operating under the impression that being able to beat the main boss at a low level is a bad thing, where as that's what makes FF8 so unique. The game was more about using your head and figuring out what junctions to use and trying to beat the game at a low as level as possible; after all that was Squaresoft's plan.

It's completely fine if you dislike new ideas in games, maybe you should pick up a Sega Saturn and stick with it, because I for one enjoy improving formulas and new ideas in gameplay. It's unique, interesting and most of all, it's simply requires more thought than spending 3 hours walking in circles and pressing the X button.

IMO it kinda defeats the purpose of a "role playing game" if your roll is just to kill the last boss as fast as you can. Seriously, no point to lvling + getting main chars final weapon upgrade in disc 1 = failed Final Fantasy.

Again, you're the type of person who hates innovation and originality. Might I suggest the Dragon Quest series? That way, you can stay as casual and basic as possible.

Lastly, the story-line was just awful. At first you're going after that "which". Come to find out she's good, and was just being possessed, and holy shit every character has known her and each other their whole lives and just forgot?!?!?!
That's a huge stretch for a story line, and to top it all off on the beach they realize that it must be the summons that steal their memory (they pull that conclusion out of their ass, because they don't really talk it through), and yet they continue to use the summons...

So you hated it because it was unpredictable and original? No wonder you love linearity and cliches as found in FF7. Thank god this thread wasn't made about a Metal Gear game (your head would explode just thinking about it - we should stick you on something a little slower like Sesame Street or something)

There wasn't even any good memorable characters in 8. At least 7 had Cid and 9 had Vivi. The best character 8 had was Zell and he was a complete douche bag.

Seifer was more memorable than anyone in 7 or 9. Besides, comparing 7 to 8 is always a chore when it comes down to the main characters, but I can boil it down for you:

Cloud turned out to be a static character
Squall turned out to be a dynamic character; moreso than any other in the franchise

Mystic

Banned
Almost nothing you said made any sense at all. I said it wasn't hard or complex so you call it unique?

Yea, that chart says FFVIII is the 2nd most successful game. Did you look to see what #1 was? Yea, FFVII.

Junction was the worst idea ever. You get 100 remedies and throw it on your armor and you're immune to sleep, poison, ect... how hard is that? It doesn't take any sort of strategy to find the 1 item that makes you immune to everything and get 100 of them.

I'm a person who "hates innovation and originality"? Lol, it's not my fault you have no tastes in games. FFX had a completely new leveling system and it worked. You know what? I do like Dragon Warrior and the old Final Fantasies too. You can't go wrong with the classics. My favorite game to date is FFIV for the old Snes. My guess is you're one of those people whos first system was a PS and you refuse to play the older systems.

Just because FFVIII "Looks better" doesn't make it better. Deal with it.

Last edited: