Black Screen

SirLee

Hiya. I downloaded the ePSXe emulator v.1.7.0, the SPCH1001 BIOS file, the GPU plugin D3D Pete and I'm using the built in CD-ROM plugin and sound plugin. My issue is I can't get anything but a black screen when I put in FF7. I did File>Run CD-ROM and File>Run BIOS in the ePSXe menu, and only get a blank screen for the 'Run CD-ROM' option. When I do the BIOS one, it goes to the normal Sony entrance screen for Playstation 1, but then goes straight to the menu with 'Memory Card' and 'CD player'. Any thoughts?

Mystic

Banned
Try using Pete's OpenGL2 Driver 2.9 it fixes most black screen problems.

SirLee

Well, maybe we made a little bit of progress. I downloaded that GPU plugin, but now I'm receiving 2 errors, one saying that "Missing render texture-extension" and then "No pixel format available!" before the program crashes. Any clue as to what settings need to be changed? Oh, and on a side note, I would like to create an ISO image file from my FF7 CD seeing as everyone says they run better than when using CD's.

However, I have downloaded various programs such as alcohol 120%, CloneCD, and ISOBuster, but it seems there's always one step that halts me from making a successful image. For instance, when I click the "Image Making Wizard" in alcohol 120% as instructed and select the Playstation Datatype, I'm not even able to click the "Next" button, which I'm guessing is because I didn't purchase their piece of crap.. Or when I use ISOBuster, I have to go into File System Settings>Communications> Interface and change it from SPTI to ASPI for it to even detect my DVD/CD-ROM RW drive with the FF7 disc in it, and when I right click the CD and extract the image file and try to use it with the emulator, it doesn't work, which makes sense seeing as its only 327KB big...

When I try to use CloneCD and do "Read to Image File" as was instructed by a tutorial and select my DVD/CD-ROM RW drive, it comes up with a new window with "Waiting for such and such drive..", and doesn't seem to go anywhere. So, I guess what I'm really asking is if there's anything out there that won't try to shove their fees at you just to use their shit or if anyone knows what I'm possibly doing wrong? Thanks in advance.

SirLee

New Edit: I don't think it is the GPU plugin at all. This new one is bringing up new errors that weren't there before. I was able to actually get into the playstation screen when doing "Run BIOS", now I can't even do that though. I think its been isolated down to the fact that I can't get ePSXe to read my CD/the fact I can't get a proper ISO(yet). Thanks again in advance for help.

SirLee

It has been confirmed. It was indeed my inability to get ePSXe to read from the CD-ROM drive as well as my inability to get a proper ISO extracted from my CD in the CD-ROM drive. I downloaded an FF7 ISO from google and ran that, works just fine. Got up to the first boss fight in FF7 =D I still want to trouble shoot my issue with not being able to read from the CD-ROM however and possibly find a program that actually can extract ISO's from my psx CD's. Btw, I am on a P-6301 Gateway laptop. Windows Vista, 130 GB HDD, dual core pentium 1.46 GHZ which I believe is actually the mobile(laptop) version of the core 2 duo due to CPUZ readings. Oh, and 1 GB of RAM(soon upgrading to 2), and of course an integrated intel graphics card with like 256 MB or something of memory(I think?), and the cd drive is an Optiarc DVD RW AD-7563A ATA Device(DVD/CD-ROM Drive).

Mystic

Banned
It sounds to me like you CD drive is faulty. When you get a decent comp use PowerISO to make your own ISOs it works very well. Also, you may see more problems in the future since you have an integrated GPU. Laptops fail.

FatTrucker

Abusus non tollit usum
Sounds most like an ASPI driver problem/mismatch. Try installing/reinstalling something like forceaspi.

SirLee

I tried using the "Compress" option with powerISO, not sure if that was the correct otpion for this program or not. Anywho, it detected 3 different drives. A CD drive(G), a DVD RW drive(E), and a DVD drive(F). All the same drive I'm assuming since I only have one physical CD/DVD drive on my computer. Anywho, tried the compression option with all 3, but it couldn't detect the FF7CD. I heard the drive actually spinning the CD inside my laptop, but to no avail. I am going to try using forceaspi. I think I recall trying something like that a while back but with no luck before I gave up the last time on this stuff. Pretty sure its no fault with my actual drive, its the software. Btw, powerISO should work properly for creating an image file for a game WITHOUT having to buy/register it, right?

SirLee

Okay, so I have come to the conclusion that I need FrogASPI, not ForceASPI. FrogASPI is compatible with Vista, seeing as Vista is origionally SPTI, not ASPI in the first place. I can't figure out what directory I need to install the FrogASPI file into, however. Any help?

Edit: I think I have just found the correct directory. It is C:\Windows\System32 on Vista. I took out the old wnaspi32.dll file and placed the new FrogASPI.dll in there. I think it may need to be renamed the same as the old wnaspi32.dll file, so I'm going to check into that. Thanks for the help so far guys, hopefully I'm getting closer to the bottom of this = )

Last edited:

SirLee

It seems I've hit another dead end. I replaced the old wnaspi32.dll with the new FrogASPI file(renamed as WnAspi32.dll) in the C:\Windows\System32 directory as I said before. I tried using ePSXe for FF7 from the CD in the drive, no luck. Tried to create an image file from the CD with CloneCD, Alcohol 120%, PowerISO, ISOBuster and MagicISO and encountered all of the afore mentioned issues. I restarted my computer, thinking maybe the DLL file didn't take effect or something, but still the same issue. The only possible issues I can think of at this point are:
A) I need to try a new disc, highly doubtful though seeing as FF7, disc one works just fine and is barely scratched.
B) I didn't correctly install the FrogASPI file. Doubtful, but maybe possible. I did all of the steps listed here- http://www.frogaspi.org/download.htm#frogrights. The only part I didn't really do was the 'compatibility mode' part mentioned. There is no compatibility mode option for DLL files when you right click them, it only works with .exe to my knowledge.
C) I am trying to solve my issue with the wrong solution and the ASPI layering has nothing to do with this..
D) Something really is wrong with my CD/DVD drive.. Again, I'm almost positive this is not the case.

So.. as you can see, I'm at a bit of a loss at this point. I'll look around here and there for possible solutions, but I really don't know what I'm going to do at this point. Hopefully someone knowledgable knows what my issue is.

SirLee

Yeah.. no luck at all = / I've trouble shooted this as best I could, it appears I r fail though. I s'pose I'll settle with getting my ISO images from.. other sources.. Though it would be damn nifty and awesome if I could rip my own ISO's for several reasons, one being just to say I did, though its not entirely nessecary I guess. Thanks again for all of your help guys! Still willing to try stuff out if anyone thinks they know whats up, other than that, though, I'm just going to enjoy my emulator now = )

Last thing, though, does anyone know anything about PS2 to USB adapters? I found one here at- http://www.hartsunlimited.com/supdualboxwi.html. Hoping to find an adapter to hook up to my laptop for when I play games like Midnight Club 3 (maybe..) and Street Fighter. Not sure if that above mentioned PS2 to USB converter works with regular controllers or not. If anyone knows of any others that I could use, though, that would be great. Not sure if I can just buy an adapter or if I have to buy the controller itself specially for PC.

Last edited:

Mystic

Banned
My ps2 usb converter is just like that, but it was only $6 on eBay. Also, yea, it does work with regular controllers. However, the ps1 controller won't work with a lot of the newer games or a ps2 emu.

FatTrucker

Abusus non tollit usum
One little word of advice. When replacing .dll's or registry items, create a folder somewhere and keep a copy of the items you are replacing. That way if it all goes tit's up you can quickly and easily put things back to normal.

SirLee

Wow, that just made me remember that I'm missing that .dll file... shit >.,< Can't believe I deleted it, lol. Guess its time to google it and try to redl it = /

SirLee

Heya. Just curious if anyone might know what the overall best GPU plugin/settings might be as well as mayhap sound plugin/settings. My hardware is a 1.46GHz Dual Core Pentium processor, 1GB of RAM, Vista Home Premium and Mobile Intel(R) 965 Express integrated video card with 256MB of memory. I've been playing Final Fantasy 9 and I've noticed a few things, such as the characters out of battle look wavey.. Its a hard thing to describe, but I s'pose if you have no clue at all as to what I'm talking about, you probably aren't going to know.

I also just noticed something else. When I go to 'Config> Video', there is Select/Config Main Video Plugin and then below that is Config Soft Video Plugin. What is the difference? And one last thing.. again.. lol. Does hardware even really effect this much?.. I mean, it sounds kind of like an idiotic question, but I remember reading in a thread somewhere about how ePSXe functions heavily on the software because of how the data is read and then converted for the games to work.. or some such sort.

Last edited:

Mystic

Banned
To my knowledge the best GPU plug-in is Pete's OpenGL2 Driver 2.9. I have mine set up like this.

The SPU I use is ePSXe SPU core 1.7.0. Idk if there is a better one, this one has always worked fine for me.

Lastly, I'm not sure what the minimum reqs are for ePSXe, but I know it's not much. Psx is an older machine and wouldn't take that much hardware to run anyway. If you tried to run PCSX2 with your current specs, you wouldn't get anywhere near playable speeds.

SirLee

Mmk, sounds fine to me = ) I'll try it out in the morning. Just curious though, what does MDEC mean and why would you want an FPS limit?

Solis

Hello SirLee,

For a regular psx looking image use peopsoft it has the best compatibility.

P.E.Op.S. Psx Direct Draw Soft Renderer 1.18b

1024*768@60hz Color Depth 32 bit

Strecthed To Full Window Size -On

Dithering -On

Transparent FPS Display -On

Use FPS Limit With Auto-Detect -On

Vsync - On

BTW FPS Limits the speed of the frames to a certain level. For US-NTSC it's 60. You
want that on because if it's not on the emulation is going to be too fast or too slow.
MDEC - I think it stands for movie decoder.

Last edited:

SirLee

Okay, cool = ) I tried it out, and all the 2D graphics look soooo much better(i.e- wording/portraits). However.. Now the 3D character animtions look like pixalated 2D animations, lol. Anywho, thanks for the help, I'll tinker with it some more tommorrow.