controller input differences...

cathor

Hi!
This post is not a question nor does it contain a problem that needs to be solved, merely a thought from my side that have arisen during my many years of emulator use.
I have noticed that some emulators have way better input programming than other emulators. if you compare different emulators for the NES platform you can find that FCEU(X) have far superior input handling than say Nestopia. I am not saying that FCEU is a better emulator, I actually prefer Nestopia. But when it comes to playing games that need a tight controller response i certanly choose FCEU.
Look at ZSNES, In my opinion one of the best and most accurate emulators regardless platform. Playing fast moving platform games is a real hassle as you can detect a few milliseconds input lag. I have tried many different controllers and on many different computers so this does not have to do with my specific rig. This input lag seem to be present in SNES9X as well sadly.

Any comments on this matter?

ulaoulao

Controller Man
Staff member
cathor, this is just a matter of the author. Some authors focus strong on other issues, and some do pay attention to input. It’s just the nature of development. This does show the need for plug-in systems, as we have seen become more and more popular. Interesting topic, but not much to say on the matter as there is little resolution or satisfaction to be found. It’s just as it is..

retroguiden

Man of Many Talents
I have played a lot of emulators over the years and I can't remember a single emulator that has experienced this "input lag" you're talking about. Super Mario plays just fine on every emulator I try. So is every other game.

Just how long would you estimate this lag to be?