Lemmings help?

The Lord of War

Hey guys I'm new but I haven't been able to solve this on my own. Last time I tried I almost killed my comp. Anyways, I was wondering if anyone could help name or link a good lemmings emulator. Thanks guys.

FatTrucker

Abusus non tollit usum
Lemmings came out on a lot of Platforms so it depends what version you want to play. All of the following emulators can be downloaded from this sites main emulators page.

For Amiga, try downloading WinUAE along with the excellent Lemonade front-end from Lemon Amiga

For Atari ST use STeeM (my favourite) or STella

For Megadrive/Genesis use Gens or Fusion

For Snes use Snes9x or Zsnes

Or there's a PC remake Here

Hope that helps.

Remember though, rom requests are not allowed here, so we can help with the emulator but you will need to source the game roms on your own using some kind of search engine like google.

The Lord of War

Thanks for all the help man, i really appreciate it. I downloaded the pc one tho and whenever i try and play a level it gives me an error message that says "Memory Access Violation". I was wondering you or anyone knew what that meant. I have some skill when it comes to computers so ill try and figure it out for myself until some one can help. Thanks guys

Zach

PC versions of Lemmings are an entire topic of their own.

But basically it comes down to this.. I don't know if there is a windows port of any lemmings game available, so keeping that in mind I'll talk about the older stuff.

Lemmings was released for the DOS operating system, like a lot of games back in the early 90's. However getting DOS games to run in windows is notoriously difficult unless you luck out with a particular game.

It's not use trying to go into the technical details, but it is worth stating that on modern systems like XP and Vista, DOS games are a lost cause.

You need to get a DOS emulator, the most popular is DOSBox. It has a sourceforge page and it's own page (they may be shared I dunno) where things are updated and kept track of.

Basically what DOSBox does is emulate an entire 286/386/486 machine depending on what you need. The keyboard, video, sound, etc all respond like hardware from the DOS days so if you already remember how to use DOS it's not much different. Although you do have to become familiar with setting things up and ideas such as mounting disks, etc.. There are a LOT of front ends out there that help automate the process and set up a default profile for you, so you can just boot up DOSBox and you arrive at a C prompt with a virtual hard drive all ready to go with whatever you may have installed on it from the last session. Virtual drives are just directories on one of your normal drive that the program uses as a base directory to mimic a drive structure. Even better some front-ends allow you to make profiles for every individual game or program you want to run, if its already installed you can just link to its directory and executable file, or you can even run the profile in setup more, where it does its best to start DOSBox with the profile specifications you input (what resolution, refresh, soundblaster, etc) and runs the setup program so you can install it on your DOSBox drive/directory.

So in dosbox you might have a C:\ drive and have windows installed and some games. In Windows XP/Vista explorer it will look like any other file/directory structure and won't interfere with your actual windows install either. so your drive might be on your D:\ drive on your PC and it would look like

D:\dosdrive\
d:\dosdrive\windows
D:\dosdrive\games\doom

etc, in your windows file explorer. that all probably sounds confusing, but you'll understand once you use it. You can also mount CD rom drives so you have CD-ROM access in dos, and you can either use a Daemon-Tools or other CD utiliies virtual drive to mount a disc image of an old game, or use your physical drive and stick an old games CD-ROM in it, having access.

http://www.dosbox.com/

It's really easy to learn and understand, so don't be frightened.. Although it is NOT perfect they work hard on it and make updates all the time, and a large majority of dos games run just fine, even some 3D games like DOOM or Descent, etc. Lemmings should surely run if you have a copy of a DOS version

Last edited:

retroguiden

Man of Many Talents
As christmas is coming up I feel the need to remind everyone that there were 2 special holiday versions of Lemmings released for the Amiga and PC for free. They can be found here! I prefer the Amiga versions to any PC version so I suggest you try that one. I haven't checked, but I assume that WinUAE is linked on this site...

Zach

Hey that is a GREAT site. A real example of what true Abandonware sites SHOULD be.

I remember Christmas Lemmings, I had a copy, fun times

JoshM22

Is this game worth getting?

FatTrucker

Abusus non tollit usum
Lemmings is an absolutely classic puzzle game. If you've not tried it then I would definitely recommend giving it a go.

The Amiga and ST versions are probably the better ones to go for.

Jadybaby

hey Im new at this stuff and I just downloaded the lemmings game for my computer. Ive configured the controls to be what I want them on my keyboard but the only thing I dont know how to figure out are what the controls actually function in the game... Where do I find out the information on "how" to play the game and what each control does??? HELP!

Zach

Without knowing which specific game you are asking about, it will likely be hard to help you exactly.

But you should try to google for things, like a manual.. e.g "title of your lemmings game, pc, user manual" and stuff like that. Or look for a site that has archive scans of actual manuals.

edit:

http://www.gamefaqs.com/computer/doswin/file/564576/18338

Try this and see if its relevant. Do a search for "how to play" in your browser, and it should take you to the How To Play section.

Last edited:

GASIYAT

Banned
Hey guys I'm new but I haven't been able to solve this on my own. Last time I tried I almost killed my comp. Anyways, I was wondering if anyone could help name or link a good lemmings emulator. Thanks guys.

I downloaded the pc one tho and whenever i try and play a level it gives me an error message that says "Memory Access Violation". I was wondering you or anyone knew what that meant. I have some skill when it comes to computers so ill try and figure it out for myself until some one can help. Thanks guys

GASIYAT

Banned
I downloaded the pc one tho and whenever i try and play a level it gives me an error message that says "Memory Access Violation". I was wondering you or anyone knew what that meant. I have some skill when it comes to computers so ill try and figure it audacity find my iphone origin out for myself until some one can help. Thanks guys

I downloaded the pc one tho and whenever i try and play a level it gives me an error message that says "Memory Access Violation". I was wondering you or anyone knew what that meant. I have some skill when it comes to computers so ill try and figure it out for myself until some one can help. Thanks guys