Emulator Problem: Need Help Really Bad

duckmiesta

Hello, I am new to this website and emulators in general.

The problem I have is I am completley new to emulators, I did use the megadrive one 'Gens' a lot and found that really easy and simple to use, the playstation 1 one however is a different story.

Ive been trying for ages to find a decent begginer tutorial on how to set up and configure these emulators, the one ive downloaded is called 'ePSXe' and seems to be the most popular one.

I don't know what 'BIOS' means and what all these 'plugins' are, and im still confused on what exactly you have to do.

Also once it is inevitbly configured, what do I need to play games on it? Roms? ISO images burned in Deamon tools? or just ISO files downloaded from torrents ect..

If somebody could give me a basic step by step guide on what I have to do to get things rolling I would hugeley appriciate it :)

I am a noob with all this I admit it but I just want to play :)

Mystic

Banned

retroguiden

Man of Many Talents
The only legal way to play is to dump games yourself, downloading games is illegal.

GL

That's a bunch of crap. It really doesn't matter who makes the dump as long as you have the original! There are even companies that makes backups.

So, Duckmiesta... you need a bios file from your Playstation for the emulator to work. If you can't dump the Bios file yourself it can probably be found through a Google search. We can however not tell you where to get either Bios or any games since this forum could get into legal trouble over it.

Mystic

Banned
There's a reason providing a link to Bios / ISOs is illegal. DOWNLOADING GAMES / BIOS IS ILLEGAL.

Recently I looked it up, even if you have the originals downloading games is illegal.

Khmer

Calm down. You don't need torrents to download ISOs. There's an ePSXe tutorial here. If you can't get it to work, you can always try this emulator: http://emulator-zone.com/doc.php/psx/psx_em.html

Pretty good, doesn't require plug-ins. If you ever run across .mdf/.mds files, pSX can't run them, I can tell you how to convert them to the right format. Takes less than 10 minutes.

Terminology:

Emulator
Basic: A console on your PC
Advanced: Something that uses another OS system to duplicate its own.

ROMs/ISOs
Basic: Games for your emulators
Advanced: A file that contains the whole of a CD/Cartridge.

BIOS
Basic: Bootloaders for your emulators
Advanced: Something you need to make emulators work

Google is your friend.
Common Bios

PSX: scph1001.bin
Sega CD: us_scd1_9210.bin
GBA: gba_bios.bin

There are 20+ BIOS for almost every emulator that requires one. You'll probably end up only needed 3: One for USA/Canada Games, one for European Games and one for Japanese/Korean games. Why are there 20+? There all different, some are for US, some are for Europe, some are for Japan, some are better, some are worse. I suggest you use the ones I just listed. Want ROMs/ISOs or need more help? AIM: brajan4558

Last edited:

retroguiden

Man of Many Talents
BIOS
Basic: Bootloaders for your emulators
Advanced: Something you need to make emulators work

Hmm, shouldn't it be the other way around? :happy:

Want ROMs/ISOs or need more help? AIM: brajan4558

Don't want to be a party pooper here but I think that is against forum rules. You have just provided us with a potential location of proprietary material. Maybe you should re-phrase?

Khmer

Hmm, shouldn't it be the other way around? :happy:

Don't want to be a party pooper here but I think that is against forum rules. You have just provided us with a potential location of proprietary material. Maybe you should re-phrase?

I cant edit it

Yes... Yes it should be the other way around.