Playstation 3 emulator aren't done yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lil Sonic95

Emulating since 11
Nope, Sorry
PS3 emulators won't be on for the next about 2-4 years ( and even then it will be very slow to play properly) but I HAVE HEARD* about a WII EMULATOR named dolphin that can play SOME Wii games PERFECTLY on the most advanced computers. So PS3 and XBox360 Emus won't be long for now.
* heard, I don't know it really is true

The best advice, get a real PS3 if you want to play it so badly:p (no offence intended on that tongue)

Last edited:

FatTrucker

Abusus non tollit usum
Yep technologically the Wii is running last gen hardware so sits in the bracket with the PS2 and GC, they are only just getting to grips with the emulation of these systems and they are getting on for 8 or 9 years old.

PS3 emulation won't happen for a number of years, if at all. Processor speeds have reached a plateau now so there won't be the exponential growth that we have seen previously. The future is in multiple cores and it seems unlikely the hardware manufacturers will want to roll it out too quickly if they want a sustainable revenue stream for the next decade or so.

AnAutisticDog

Such Coin. Many Doge.
Im sorry, I had to bring this up.
Spoiler »

xstasy2fm0.jpg

xstasy3zm5.jpg

xstasy4oz2.jpg

FatTrucker

Abusus non tollit usum
You realise thats not actually a working emulator right?. Someone chucked this up a while back and its fake.

Last edited:

Lil Sonic95

Emulating since 11
I heard that too, but understand that the Wii isn't near as advanced as Xbox360 or the PS3.

Yeah I do know that but they are starting to get the grip on next gen emulation aren't they? BTW and of course what would be harder to emulate the Wii controller or a PS3 controller? Controllers play a part in emulation too you know.

Nearin

Hey i know It is not possible but i was wondering if any could explain WHY they cant Partition a drive that runs the OS of PS3 and functions completely as a PS3 my computer has 4x2.4 Cores, (the graphics card might not be able to hang) but regardless of for me, the PS3's raw parts are outmatched by High end computers, I assume the need for more power is due to background programs and slightly inferrior programming, but the programming is unlikely to be that signifcantly inferior. If we are able to eliminate background programs by partitions, why cant this be done?

FatTrucker

Abusus non tollit usum
Because you don't have the first clue how emulation works. The comparative spec of the host PC is irrelevant as a comparison to the hardware in the console.

The console does everything using dedicated chips and hardware with architecture that's designed for a specific purpose.

Any PC running emulation has to duplicate everything that hardware is doing, a bit like not installing a graphics card in your PC and trying to emulate a GeForce 8800GT using just your processor.

Background tasks have absolutely nothing to do with it. In order for your PC to emulate a PS3 in the way you describe your PC would need to have all the PS3 hardware inside it.....just like a PS3.

Last edited:

Nearin

Didn't realize there Where Signifficant difference in th hardware based on being able to trun them into computers.

I didn't think that was actaullly possible or some one would have done it, i just wanted to know why it wasn't.

Zach

Think of it this way..

Pick 10 different cars, even some from the same manufacturer and you will find parts in one car that cannot be used in the other.

Things are made different, different sizes, different ways of functioning, different connections, etc.. Just like buying an air filter for your car. Have to get the right model, made to work with your car..

PC's are the same way.. Just like you can't run Apple software on an Intel/AMD based system (Apple now sells PCs that use Intel CPU's so its now possible to do both, only on those specific Apple computers). Their chips are built differently, process data differently, and communicate differently. They can't talk to software coded for another platform.

Just like you can't take an NES game and run it on a PS3, without an emulator.. It's all different hardware. Just isn't gonna work.

PC's emulate other systems by software. A programmer emulates the function of the console CPU/GPU and other hardware, via a software platform. This takes enemormous processing power, even when you have plugins that allow you to use your own graphics card for 3D acceleration. It has to be tweaked to be extremely efficient, and accurate. Which is why emulators take years to develop into a truly stable and playable product.

I'm sure it is possible with an Intel Quad Core to maybe get a rudimentary PS3 emulator going, but it won't be near powerful enough to actually play games or anything like that.. The programmer would also have to be experienced in programming multi-threaded, multi-cpu applications, to understand how to best use the resources and distribute the workload across multiple cores.

It's really a lot of work.. It takes something like a 100Mhz 486 to fully emulate an NES system, running at a puny 1 or 2 Mhz.

On top of all that, Emulators are developed using a process called Reverse Engineering. R.E is an extremely expensive and time consuming process, and that is for corporations that actually employ people to do it and have millions of dollars.. Emulator programmers have to emulate the hardware using NO original code from the actual system because otherwise it would be copyright infringement. So they have to design their software functions, design an OS/BIOS system that communicates with the hardware, allows the hardware to communicate with each other, handle input, output, and understands the language the games are written in, and then run it. Using NO original code. So it takes a long time and dedicated programmers to do this

Last edited:

houdini

The Mac OSX argument doesn't hold anymore really. They're selling a PC box which you can buy with OSX or install it yourself from a disk.

How?

The company had a look at Mac's and found that now they're really just using PC bits, albeit with some custom firmware to make it Mac like. So this company bought the same bits off the shelf, hacked up the firmware (flashing isn't that hard) and lo and behold you can install OSX on the box because it thinks it's mac hardware.

I believe the same concept holds true for PS3 and Xbox. It's all just hardware and software. To my mind there's no reason you can't hunt around and buy the same bits (easier in an xbox) and with some clever programmers you can make the PC you've just built look like an xbox to the xbox OS. You can even buy the Cell engine chip from the PS3, you can buy the Xbox 360 bits, jeeze you can flash the firware on DVD drives and swap them out in the 360.

It's doable.

houdini

More:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/4242447.stm
The new processor is set to ignite a fresh battle between Intel and the Cell consortium over which processor sits at the centre of digital products.

The PlayStation 3 is expected in 2006, while Toshiba plans to incorporate it into high-end televisions next year.

IBM has said it will sell a workstation with the chip starting later this year.
IBM said Cell was "OS neutral" and would support multiple operating systems simultaneously but designers would not confirm if Microsoft's Windows was among those tested with the chip.

FatTrucker

Abusus non tollit usum
A lot of what people miss though is that a PS3 emulator can't access the cell processor and its functions the same way that a PS3 does. Because that wouldn't be reverse engineered and would breach copyright. Any emulator has to be able to emulate what the PS3 does but without using any of the same processes or code that the PS3 does, making the prospect of a working emulator quite a bit more complicated than simply having compatible technology.

houdini

...Because that wouldn't be reverse engineered and would breach copyright. Any emulator has to be able to emulate what the PS3 does but without using any of the same processes or code that the PS3 does, making the prospect of a working emulator quite a bit more complicated than simply having compatible technology.

Yes fair point.

alcoatjez

Capo di Tutti Capi
Any PC running emulation has to duplicate everything that hardware is doing, a bit like not installing a graphics card in your PC and trying to emulate a GeForce 8800GT using just your processor.

Saved for future use. This is the sentence that will save me a lot of "blah, this emu is so slow..." discussions ;)

smashin85

What do they make the games on for the PS3? Isn't it a computer based system with a special emulator? I could be wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.