MAME.INI?

UglyStick

I can't find a mame.ini file. I'm trying to activate my cheat.dat file. But no luck on finding said mame.ini file.

I downloaded MAME0126b. Perhaps a version dis-correlation?

Any help would be appreciated. I'm really new at this stuff.

FatTrucker

Abusus non tollit usum
If you're using commandline mame you need to generate one using the commandline.

Hit the Start button on your desktop, go to the run command and type cmd, this will open a command prompt.

Change the directory to your mame folder C:\mame or wherever you've put it.

type mame -cc (including the space between mame and -cc)

This will generate a mame.ini.

Alternatively download MameUI from http://mameui.classicgaming.gamespy.com/ and use that instead.

cemf81

Hey guys! I created a mame.ini with the command mame -cc, and i saw the rom path, so I created a floder with the name "roms" in the same folder, when I try to execute any game show me
sfix.sfix NOT FOUND
000-lo.lo WRONG LENGTH (expected: 00020000 found: 00010000)
000-lo.lo WRONG CHECKSUMS:
EXPECTED: CRC(5a86cff2) SHA1(5992277debadeb64d1c1c64b0a92d9293eaf7e4a)
FOUND: CRC(e09e253c) SHA1(xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

ERROR: requiered files are missing, the game cannot be run.

What i'm doing wrong? tks.

FatTrucker

Abusus non tollit usum
Either the game rom is missing, the game rom is out of date or incomplete or the game has a parent rom thats missing or the game requires a CHD (hard disk or CD image) that's missing. Looking at that error it looks like a missing CHD.

Basically mame is trying to launch a game and isn't finding the files it expects to in the rom folder.

All roms should remain zipped all CHD's should remain in an unzipped folder. So for example in the rom folder, Killer Instinct will have a zipped rom called Kinst.zip and a folder containing the CHD just called Kinst.

Many games with lots of different versions will have a single rom that has all the game files (called a parent) and all the other version will contain the few files that are different in that version (clones). In all cases the parent rom needs to be present for the clones to work. A lot of modern games like Street Fighter III, Killer Instinct etc had large storage devices inside the cab like a CD or Hard Disk, for these games mame needs the game roms (usually a few Mb) and the CHD image (usually a few GB) in the rom folder.

Also what version number of Mame are you using?. I can't find a romname relating to sfix so if you're using an older version of mame its possible the romname has changed. What game are you trying to launch?.

Last edited:

annabelinda

Hi, I downloaded the command line version of MAME and the MAME Classic... the latest versions of them, 0133 and the lastest version of the other... and, when it identified all of the setup programs, it couldn't find the mame.ini file. When I went into command prompt and typed in mame -cc, it said that Mame was not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file. I tried to change the directory, but I'm not sure how to do it in command prompt. Can someone clear what's up here, and why my computer is not recognizing MAME or mame? and I even type in -createconfig and that doesn't even work... am I doing something wrong? if so, what, and how do I correct it to doing the right thing (as in how do I fix it, in explaination detail, not as Do 'this', but do 'this' and 'this is how to do that' I hope I am clear at what I'm trying to get at... I'm not a very good explainator.)

annabelinda

actually,. I figured it out. Use CD and then quotes if your directory has a space if your using windows vista. Ex: CD "C:\Program Files (x86)\MAME\MAME32"

Mr. Slayer

If you're using commandline mame you need to generate one using the commandline.

Hit the Start button on your desktop, go to the run command and type cmd, this will open a command prompt.

Change the directory to your mame folder C:\mame or wherever you've put it.

type mame -cc (including the space between mame and -cc)

This will generate a mame.ini.

Thank you, FatTrucker :thumb_up: for Mike Utley