Game Problem: Problems with Neo Geo

Paul

:( My problem is that certain Neo Geo emulators such as Nebula, Raine, Kawaks, and Neo Rage won't work, so therefore I can't play Neo Geo games on them. Do you know how I can get those Neo Geo emulators to work so I can use one of them?

megamanx41

You need the neo-geo bios since later versions of kawaks don't come with them. look it up on youtube there's a video with step by step instructions.

Paul

I don't see any videos on YouTube that have Step by Step instructions on how to download the Neo Geo Bios. Can you provide me with all the step by step instructions?

FatTrucker

Abusus non tollit usum
Its called Neogeo.zip you put it in the rom folder along with any game roms. Pretty sure we already covered this in one of your other threads. No NeoGeo games will work without the bios present in your rom folder whether you are using Mame, Kawaks or anything else.

Googling for neogeo.zip should get you a source for it without any problem.

Last edited:

Paul

I've tried putting the NeoGeo.zip bios rom in the rom folder for a Neo Geo Emulator along with some games that I want to play. Also I tried googling for all this and I've been unsuccessful lately. Even YouTube is no help at all.

Paul

I did what the youtube video said and I downloaded the roms I want to play and the bios rom zipped folder and put them in the kawaks rom folder but the roms are still not working. I'm thinking they're not up to date but I don't know what to do about that. Can you help me out further with this?

Zach

There's not much we can do beyond what we have already.. Since we don't give out or allow rom requests, or allow links to sites with roms, you have to hone your own google skills and try to find a torrent site or some other place that'll let you get the most recent versions of games.

If you can manage to setup MAME you can run audits on your rom sets (a set is a single zip file with multiple rom files required for the game to run) to see if they are missing any files and at that point either look for another set, or try to find the individual files through google as well.

cibomatto2002

Windows 10
Try mame

FatTrucker

Abusus non tollit usum
The problem still seems to be that your source for roms is no good. I know its not much help but emulation does have a degree of learning and trial and error involved. At some point everyone involved in the use of emulators has had to do some research to find the things they want and how to make them work.

Sites like this can help you get things running when you run into problems but to get support you need to be more detailed in your requests, by listing what system you are running the emulators on (PC specs), what emulators you are using, what actions you've taken, and what error messages or behaviour is causing you a problem so people can identify the type of problem you have.

So far you've only really said that Kawaks is reporting missing files which indicates that your roms are old or broken.

Just stating 'emulator (a), (b), or (c) doesn't work' doesn't give people any idea about what you've tried, what version of the emulator you're using, what game you're having problems with, the name of the rom thats not working, what if any error the emulator is reporting or causing, what PC you are trying to run it on. All of this is relevant info to post to help people identify your problem and give you a solution that will fix it.

You need to help us to help you. :)

As for your out of date roms issue, there isn't really any way around that on this site, the rules are explicit that discussion of romsites is prohibited so that is something you will need to research and find a solution for on your own.

Paul

I just tried to run Calice but it says to switch my desktop to 16 bpp (65536 colors) or 15 bpp (32768 colors) and I have no idea how to do that. And the version of Calice I'm trying to run is Calice-0.6.4-win32.zip. Plus the roms I'm trying to get to work are Alpha Mission 2, Blue's Journey, Cyber-Lip, Ghost Pilots, Last Resort, Magician Lord, and Robo Army. I hope this will help you help me with this.

FatTrucker

Abusus non tollit usum
Calice is very old and outdated. Seems strange you are trying all these old arcade emulators when everything you want ot run works in Mame.

Download mameUI from Here. It comes with a built in windows interface so no messing about with commandlines. You want to download the 32bit version not the source version.

Download and install 7zip from Here. (you want the 32 bit windows version).

Unzip the MameUI file you downloaded using 7zip.

Put your game roms and any bios roms into the mame roms folder.

Double click the mameui.exe

Select file from the toolbar, then select audit all. It will now check your game roms. If your roms are ok you can now double click the game you want to play from the game list and it will run. If your roms aren't ok then you need to find up to date ones.

If you follow this step by step from the beginning, and your roms are ok then it will work.

Paul

I'm doing just what you said but I'm having trouble figuring out what icon in the 7zip folder I have to click on to unzip the MameUI32 file. Can you tell me what icon to click on for that so I can keep doing what you're telling me to do?

FatTrucker

Abusus non tollit usum
If you've installed 7zip from the link in my previous post, just right click the mameui 7zip icon and click unzip using 7zip.

Paul

I right clicked on the MameUi 7zip icon but I don't see unzip as one of the options. What should I do now?

Robert

This has got to be one of the most drawn-out painful topics i've seen lately.

Firstly NeoRageX: Very old, uses non-standard sets. Don't bother.

Calice and Callus: Very old, don't bother

Nebula and WinKawaks are ok, use the menu to set your rom paths (usually .\roms), then put all your downloaded zipfiles into the roms folder. Don't unzip anything.

FBA is good, although I haven't used it for a long time.

Raine: I get lots of problems with the sound on it, don't bother.

MAME32: download it, make a folder called C:\MAME and put MAME32 in there. Then make a subfolder called ROMS and stick all zipped-up romzies in it. (same idea as Nebula)

Lastly, there is the concept of parent and child sets. For example, before you can run kof98a, you must have also downloaded the parent, in this case, kof98.

Last edited:

Paul

I downloaded Mame32, made a folder called CMame and put Mame32 in it, made a subfolder called Roms and put games I want to play in it, but it still won't work. What can I do?

FatTrucker

Abusus non tollit usum
This has got to be one of the most drawn-out painful topics i've seen lately.

I think this one is a lost cause. Over this and a few other threads we've covered pretty much everything than needs to be done to get Mame or one of the other emu's working....at length, and nothing seems to be happening.

Either his roms are bad or he's not following the advice he's been given properly, it certainly sounds like he's sticking the MameUI32 7zip file into the mame folder and trying to launch it with that without unzipping it first.

Either way there really isn't much further we can take it from here.

Last edited:

Paul

I've been doing what you've been telling me but in your previous post you said to right click on the MameUi 7zip icon but like I said I don't see unzip as one of my options. What can I do about that?