windows vista?

darkspineslayer

yes, i'm new here

anyways, looks like i'm getting a laptop for school, and i would like to put project 64, Zsnes and visualboyadvance on, the question is will it work?

ulaoulao

Controller Man
Staff member
Seems this is a very opinionated question. You're going to get people that love vista and say everything works like a charm and others that say it's hit and miss. I see vista as just another windows eXPeriment Windows 7 should be much better. I dont think its going to play well with zsnes, but I'm sure there are people that have made it work. There is only really one way to find out, and that is to try it.

spotanjo3

You should stick with Windows XP Professional until Windows 7 come out because some emulators do not work with Vista and Vista is going to died after Windows 7 come out next year. Dont buy it.

darkspineslayer

ok, thanks for the help, but its already put in and i'm getting vista regardless, so if Zsnes won't play well with it, is there another i can use?

ulaoulao

Controller Man
Staff member
Dont quote me on it, just guessing. I tried to start a thread here to show known working emus with vista but it was shot down. supposedly no need for such a thing??? What ever.. Please report your findings..

FatTrucker

Abusus non tollit usum
I think most emu's can be made to work with Vista with varying degrees of effort. Its a bit of a marmite OS though, and in terms of emulation there's not much that has specific Vista support yet.

Ana

I got A friend and he plays all of his emulators on it they play 100% but Zsnes does not go fullscreen on his Vista computer.

MAME Plays 100%

Fceultra 98.15 Plays 100%

VisualBoyAdvance 1.8.0-S.V.N Plays 100%

spotanjo3

Yes but try EVERY EMULATORS which I doubt.. too many, isn't it ? LOL

Anyway, some emulators do not run on Vista at all but I dont know which one beacuse i was told some do not. that's why they said to stick with windows xp until windows 7 come out next year. :)

ulaoulao

Controller Man
Staff member
yugiohmaster, i think it will. Vista was only a beta anyways, just that m$ decided to release it for two reasons.

1) Admittedly, its damn stable..

2) to get the public ready for Windows 7 prematurely. ( or in lame terms: Force us to to use it)

Win-7 will be the true version and ready for use. but as always there will be some lag as software needs to ramp up, hence the early release of vista.

My thought.. (not official )

I think m$ uses a subliminal message in their names..

the original name for XP was eXPeriment not eXPeriences as some may think. And it was just that, an experiment that turned out quite well IMO.

Vista means view in Greek. And its just a view of what is to come.

Last edited:

darkspineslayer

ok, so visualboy advance and ZSNES seem to work without a hitch, haven't had the chance to test out PJ64 as i don't have admin privliges on my computor yet :(

Mupen64 Man

Big fan of Mupen64
Staff member
if project 64 doesnt work, you can always try mupen64, it works for most of the windows operating systems

Mavtak

if project 64 doesnt work, you can always try mupen64, it works for most of the windows operating systems

<--- Vista user

Project 64 works just fine. I don't understand why people like ZSNES, but whether or not it works in Vista, I recommend SNES9X, which works great and actually behaves like a Windows application. *shakes fist at weird ZSNES interface :msn_confu*

For what it's worth, for the Game Boys I use Visual Boy Advance.

Lv99 Slacker

I didn't know about Windows 7. I guess I'll stick with XP till it's released. I was on the fence on whether to get Vista Ultimate x64 or not for a new system build. I've been going down a list of programs that I frequently use and possible compatibility issues that I may or may not encounter.

Mupen64 Man

Big fan of Mupen64
Staff member
I got a slight problem. I recently tried to install the new updated version of Vista on my computer. (Computer Specs on my Signature) and when I put in the installation CD, it said that I need a certain Bios. I searched for the bios on the internet, but couldnt find a proper one. and then I gave up my search and kept Windows XP. Is my computer even capable of running Vista? Opinions are valued by me. Thanks to anyone who knows what the hell went on with my computer.:happy:

Zach

Ummm.. WHAT?

Exactly what told you, you needed a certain BIOS? That's not part of any Windows install I've EVER seen... You sure you didn't get some hacked up image or wherever you obtained it from, it's legit?

Gotta give more details on what led up to this..

FatTrucker

Abusus non tollit usum
Again this is pointless info that's already covered earlier in the thread. It also doesn't relate to the original question, (which is almost a year old BTW)....so whats the point?.