TGB Dual - .sav/.sa2?

AnthonyR48

I want to trade pokemon between my pokemon gold and pokemon silver ROM.

However when I try to load them both at the same time GB1 loads the sav file fine but GB2 does not. Now I read that GB2 can only read a sa2 file and so I checked that the GB2 ROM has that extention and it did.

I then tried to load them and again I had the same problem, GB1 loaded great but GB2 did not read the save file.

I then thought it might just be my computer so I copied the files to my brothers pc but no joy.

Is there something obvious I am missing?

Any help would be appreciated :)

alexxi

back from hell
i think....
the first vba loads .sa1, the second vba loads .sa2
..you could try making copies of both gold and silver to make sure it works...
example: Pokemon_g.sa1 and Pokemon_g.sa2 on the same folder, and do the same for the other one.
..one last thing, i don't think vba can link two GBC games.:spam:

Zelda Cable

I'm having this same exact problem and almost found the solution but it doesn't work yet. Here's the files I have:

Pokemon Gold.sav (File I want to trade with)
Pokemon Silver.sav (Other file I want to trade with)
Pokemon Gold.sa2 (Blank file for GB2)
Pokemon Silver.sa2 (Blank file for GB2)

Basically, I need to make Pokemon Silver.sa2 the other file I want to trade with.

Here's what I did: (On a Windows XP)

- I opened Notepad and went to File > Open
- I went to the folder where the TGB Dual program is located.
- In the folder, there's another folder labeled "save" I went into there.
- In the dropdown box at the bottom that says "File Type" I changed it to "All Files"
- I opened the file "Pokemon Silver.sav" then clicked File > Save As
- In the dropdown box at the bottom that says "File Type" I changed it to "All Files"
- In the box where you name the file, I named it "Pokemon Silver.sa2"
- A box appears that says "Pokemon Silver.sa2 already exists. Would you like to replace it?" I clicked "Yes"
- I opened TGB Dual and opened Pokemon Gold first. Then I opened Pokemon Silver.

Here's where the problem came in. The save file was there and allowed me to continue, but once I clicked continue, it read "The save file is corrupted" The save file works fine on GB1, but for some reason is corrupted on GB2. What did I do wrong?

Last edited:

Zelda Cable

Nevermind I figured it out! It turns out that you have to change the .sav file to .sa2 while in the "save" folder. I don't know why, but for some reason the file gets corrupted if you save it while in Notepad. (Which is the way I convert all other files I have.) The only way to do this though is to go to Tools > Folder Options > View and uncheck "Hide Extensions for Folder Types" Then when you rename the file, you'll be able to rename the extension also. If you are confused on what I'm saying (since it's hard to explain) just ask and I'll clarify.

Blah De Da

Nevermind I figured it out! It turns out that you have to change the .sav file to .sa2 while in the "save" folder. I don't know why, but for some reason the file gets corrupted if you save it while in Notepad. (Which is the way I convert all other files I have.) The only way to do this though is to go to Tools > Folder Options > View and uncheck "Hide Extensions for Folder Types" Then when you rename the file, you'll be able to rename the extension also. If you are confused on what I'm saying (since it's hard to explain) just ask and I'll clarify.

Here's my question. I got the .sa2 file configured in the "save" folder for pokemon yellow. However, for some reason, all it did was replace the old .sa2 file and is now blank. Luckily, I made a copy of the original save, so my game data hasn't been lost. But I want to convert that file so I can play it on the second emulator function instead of the primary one. Any suggestions?