epsxe controller not working

Torrentgeek

I just bought a radio shack playstation to usb cord and I installed it and plugged in a sony dualshock controller and it will not play any of my games....can anyone help me?

ulaoulao

Controller Man
Staff member
First wallmart now radio shack, what next....

Ok I'm going to assume its a normal psx2usb. In that case it should be an HID and auto detected on you computer with no drivers. First step is to go to "game controllers" (if you have vista I have no idea what its called) and make sure its working there. If It does, then tell us the emulator you're using and how you tried to set the controller up.

Last edited:

Torrentgeek

I am using epsxe and where is the "game controllers" file I should be looking for? I used the manual that was included to install it properly

Last edited:

ulaoulao

Controller Man
Staff member
"game controllers" depends on your os, remember the more info you give us the better. My "assumption" is you have xp. The "file"(is an icon) and located in control panel. control panel can be found on your start menu.

Torrentgeek

Okay....I found the icon and it is showing up as "USB Dual Vibration Joystick". Now I opened up 2 different games and tried to same technique for both. The games were marvel vs. capcom and wwf In Your House. I pressed F5 for them both and then if that didn't work I tried with F6 and F7. F5 sayed the controller was on but it wasn't working. My computer is an xp from my knowledge

ulaoulao

Controller Man
Staff member
If your start menu is green , chances are its xp.

I have never heard of that controller, and it certainly is not an HID.

We need to get to the basics here, first what emulator, epsxe?

Since its one of the best out there, I'm going to help assuming that for now.

Open up the menu to configure the controller , should look like this depending on the plugin you choose.
PSX04Control.jpg

Now select the controller you have in the top right. check your sony joystick for the model. Set up each button, and the analogs can be tricky but it will work.

report back.

Last edited:

ulaoulao

Controller Man
Staff member
No, not at all.

Click on the button you want to assign and press that button on the controller. It may take two people because you may have to click on the button you want , press and hold the button on the controller down , then click on the next button you want to assign. Do that for all and then try the analogs. The mapped button will apear in that box.. Open up a game you know well and make sure its all correct.

Torrentgeek

I held every button down for 5 seconds or so and then let so and went to another one....the only thing I noticed was that nothing changed in the boxes. Also, when I pressed F5 and then F6 the game let me press start but wouldn't let me move my cursor in the character select screen. Like when I pressed F5 and F6 on and off really quick it let me move down one.

Last edited:

ulaoulao

Controller Man
Staff member
Forget about f5 during game. If you can config your buttons it wont completely work.

When your in a box hitting a button has to register, if it does not then epsxe will not work with your controller.

If you are sure hitting buttons does noting you have to remove your drivers and reinstall as just a HID. This requires a bit of an above average computer user as it could cause problems.

Personally I would take it back and buy a normal one like this.

Last edited:

Torrentgeek

I would buy a new adaptor but all the ones I need are available only online and I cannot use paypal so I will just try to use psxeven or something. Thank you for your help it is really appreciated.