Will this work..?

gstorey

Well before i decide to run any PSX EMU games.. i was wondering would the game respond to me using a window controller (which you would use to play non-emu games)?

It is a :

Microsoft Side Winder Plug & play Game Pad

Any ideas?

I mean i ran the psx BIOS and it came up with the memory card and CD reading option.. but the BIOS was non responsive to the controller.. Ive configured the gamepad in the configuration menu and have selected it run under the DIRECTX version.. since in the test of the gamepad it seemed to say DirectX.

I have played FF7 for PC with the controller i am trying to play FF9 for PC with.. but that was Non-EMU .. This controller has no START or SELECT .. No R2 or L2 .. Does this matter? FF7 Non Emu Picked the controller up no problems and i used it all the way without any problems.. Will it be the same for FF9 EMU?

I will continue to try.. but am i doing it in vain?

Many thanks

Last edited:

galace

I enjoy the classics
first of all i didn't see whether or not you setup the controller in your emulator

I use a gamepad with epsxe and you can go into
"config>gamepad>port 1*>Pad 1"
*Port 1 interface is seen in V.1.7 of epsxe

and configure buttons and joysticks, you can also see if it really works here.

But you said you don't have an R2 or L2 start or select which could pose a problem...

But you can get creative by binding those to some easy reach buttons on the keyboard.

Technically if the controller should work if your computer responds to it. The only problem you might run into is playing games that require a joystick setup (ape escape).

gstorey

first of all i didn't see whether or not you setup the controller in your emulator

I use a gamepad with epsxe and you can go into
"config>gamepad>port 1*>Pad 1"
*Port 1 interface is seen in V.1.7 of epsxe

and configure buttons and joysticks, you can also see if it really works here.

But you said you don't have an R2 or L2 start or select which could pose a problem...

But you can get creative by binding those to some easy reach buttons on the keyboard.

Technically if the controller should work if your computer responds to it. The only problem you might run into is playing games that require a joystick setup (ape escape).

Well.. ive gone to config > Gamepad > Pad1

And since most of them wernt configured (like the UP arrow was UP on my keyboard) i changed it to UP on my gamepad (yes, it recognized that i was PRESSING up on my gamepad) (and it seemed to recognize every other one i was pressing to) so i changed them (i changed PAD 2 just in case) since my PAD is in slot 2 of my USB port.. dunno if that would make a different but you know :p
I also changed START and SELECT to keys : 1 and 2 respectively
i also changed R2 and L2 to keys : 3 and 4 respectively
Hehe

If it is detecting what i am pressing it.. it should work right?

galace

I enjoy the classics
in theory yes... it wouldn't hurt to test

and if it doesn't work

let me say that there is nothing wrong with using a keyboard to play, i beat many games with the keyboard.