Joypad problems

twin78

Here is the problem that I have with my MAME controller:

I just bought a Logitech Precision control pad for my MAME games. I calibrated the control and everything, and yet it doesn't work for the games I downloaded. My laptop recognizes it, but my MAME games doesn't. Instead, I've been using my laptop to play my games, which I don't want to do. I have Windows Vista Home Premiun on my laptop, F.Y.I. Is there anybody out there that could help me so that I can start playing my games on my joypad instead of my keyboard in simpliest step by step terms? Pictures and/or photos would surely be of help. Please help! Thanks in advance!

twin78

twin_78@hotmail.com
www.myspace.com/twinsplace

Last edited:

ulaoulao

Controller Man
Staff member
If I had a dime for every time someone asked why wont my logitec joystick work on my X emulator.. Id be richer the gates him self. We need sticky on the main form page "DONT BUY LOGITECH JOYSTICKS FOR EMULATION" :D

Ok bottom line is Logitec joysticks (not all) give you grief because they like to go crazy with there drivers. Emulators like basic joysticks (i.e HID). The best joystick for any emulator is a usb->original (i.e. usb2psx).

If you want you can try some of those joy to keys apps. Map your buttons to keys and config it that way.

Last edited:

ulaoulao

Controller Man
Staff member
chances are its just a HID. Just open up mame go the the controller menu and push the buttons you want.

switchbladegaming is for keyboard mouse emulation mainly, you dont really need that for mame. Just plug it in and go.

Last edited:

spotanjo3

I am curious about joy2key because I cannot figure it out.. I am using psx adapter and how do I use my buttons and d-pad with joy2key ? I config them but nothing.. still "disable" and no response. Do I have to config them with keyboard for psx adapter to work ? I dont understand. This program is weird and confusion.

Last edited:

ulaoulao

Controller Man
Staff member
Yes you configure them to press keys. The best way to test it is to open up notepad and press buttons. 'You should see your keys getting pressed.

Tip: Dont use keys like shift ad ctrl. Use lame keys, q,w,e,r,t,y, etc...

ulaoulao

Controller Man
Staff member
Hmm from reading your post I think you got that backwards.

open a joy to key app
set buttons (for example : button a on you joystick to key "a")
open notepad
press the button a
the letter 'a" should appear on the screen

If the letter is not appearing you may need a new joy 2 key app.

Last edited:

spotanjo3

I just download a new joy 2 key app. :)

I am still confused.

My PSX Controller:

Square
X
Triangle
Circle
Up
Down
Left
Right
Select
Start

Now what ? I tried them with abc's onto joy2key and I got some
response but up down left right didnt response. Now I am confused.

Last edited:

ulaoulao

Controller Man
Staff member
First make sure to map to lame keys, IMO I would not suggest arrow keys. Since the keys you pick are irrelevant it wont matter anyways.

EXAMPLE:

Square - > a
X- > b
Triangle- > c
Circle- > d
Up- > e
Down- > f
Left- > g
Right- > h
Select- > i
Start- > j

I know it seem weird but its just for testing.

Now I'm going to assume you are using a dual shock. Make sure the analog button is red ( on ). In notepad your up should type "f". If it still wont work. I'm going to guess the joy to keys app you have wont support that button code (you can always try another ;P ).

Last edited:

spotanjo3

never heard of controlmk.

I already have the latest joy2key.

The buttons works fine for joy2key with psx controller but d-pad have no
response.

How do I use controlmk ? I see controller found then what ?

twin78

My xbox360 controller is STILL not working on MAME. Maybe 2nite u could help me. Just add me on Yahoo! Instant Messenger (tha_2N). I'll be online 11:00pm EST

Last edited:

ulaoulao

Controller Man
Staff member
Bad timing twin78, wifey home ;) Ill be able to comment on here possibly though. Also make sure to check the controller options in mame32. Even if you use mame. It will edit the same file.

never heard of controlmk.
How do I use controlmk ? I see controller found then what ?
I have only heard good things, never tried it.

The buttons works fine for joy2key with psx controller but d-pad have no
response.
- that is very strange. For S&G try with analog off. Those shoudl be the easy ones ?

update: I guess your not alone.

http://www.driverheaven.net/gaming-discussion/82491-anyone-know-program-remap-gamepad-buttons.html

Also; did you try, "use Axes other than X and Y" and "Use POV Switches" on the "Others" tab

Last edited:

spotanjo3

Please understand that I am using for PCSX2 emulator. Some joystick plugins have D-Pad response but only left and right but not up and down. oO

FatTrucker

Abusus non tollit usum
X-Padder is my current favourite absolutely hands down. It seems far more compatible and user friendly than Joy2Key.

For people having problems I would definitely recommend giving it a try.

http://xpadder.com/

twin78

Bad timing twin78, wifey home ;) Ill be able to comment on here possibly though. Also make sure to check the controller options in mame32. Even if you use mame. It will edit the same file.

Damn! I guess I'll be playin' my games on my keyboard. *sigh* Thanks n-e ways! Could some1 help me program my xbox360 controller 2 my MAME32 player even tho' it isn't recognizing it?