Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Command line MAME

Default Re: Command line MAME

Ok, I'll give this stuff a try. I'm still confused why the scanlines don't show up. Hmmm...

Crazy Frog

Just wondering.. what does MAMEWAH do to "beefy" up the look, that the standard Win32 MAME w/GUI can't? it supports cabinet art, flyers, screenshots of games on the selection menu, etc..

Or is MAMEWAH simply way more customizable from the GUI perspective so you can make it look like anything, even on standard display screens (like the game select list), etc ?

Also I found a Wiki on it for you, has links to setup guide, etc..

http://wiki.arcadecontrols.com/wiki/Mamewah
    Last edited by Zach; June 22nd, 2008 at 20:08.

Abusus non tollit usum FatTrucker's Avatar

Mamewah does nothing in terms of the actual emulator, its simply a commandline launcher and doesn't provide any additional functions or enhancements to whichever emulator its launching.
    It does however make browsing your game lists more attractive and user friendly (once you've set it up) but its basically just an alternative to Mame32 or any other emulator GUI.
    In terms of extra functions, it supports things like CPViewer, AVI screenshots (as opposed to normal static ones), music, custom sounds, startup and sutdown movies....all sorts. And of course you can make the skin look like anything you want.
    Last edited by FatTrucker; June 22nd, 2008 at 20:17.

Zach, MAMEWAH allows the user to select from other emmulators, such as sega genesis or super nintendo, instead of having to shut down one emmulator manually, and restarting another. It has a great GUI program that allows you to customize the backdrop image and place the list where you what it to appear on the screen.

http://wiki.arcadecontrols.com/wiki/Mamewah

there is a link.

Crazy Frog

I just found this through google

http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/inde...c,33163.0.html

It is an MAMEWAH config utility that gives you a GUI interface to help setup your settings. I didn't read the whole thread, but it looked like it was a little buggy, but some were responded to as fixed in new version releases, so its probably a pretty stable program worth trying out.

I would say make a new directory and unzip fresh MAMEWAH files into it, to see if that helps any.. Sometimes starting from scratch with your config files can fix a lot of things that have gone wrong from earlier troubleshooting attempts.

Also worth nothing, I did some more googling and found a statement suggesting you can still pass command-line arguments to MAMEUI (the GUI version of mame).. So you could potentially download MAMEUI instead, run it and setup your config for your scanlines and other graphic options, and then simply tell your MAMEWAH config to use the MAMEUI executable, with the ONLY command line tag being the path to and name of the ROM you want to play.. I haven't tested this yet but plan to some time in the future.

This would likely solve a lot of your issues. I don't see why it wouldn't work, seeing as MAMEWAH can also load Kega Fusion, and ZSNES, among other GUI based emulators
    Last edited by Zach; June 22nd, 2008 at 20:31.

I got the scanlines to work. I was scrolling through some games and noticed that one game I played had scanlines. So, I went in to the mame.ini and changed scan50 to rgb3, and sure enough, I was able to see a definite change. I was happy. However, it seems that the game that I was trying to get the scanlines in, Time Pilot 84, does not support it in command line mame, or something else is preventing the scanlines from showing up. This is why I thought the scanlines were not working. The funny thing is, when I play Time Pilot 84 through MAME32, the scanlines are there. So, it cannot be that the game does not support it. Something else must be preventing the scanlines from showing up. I looked at the cfg file for tp84 and I don't see any options as far as video. It's all controller related.

Note that I am still using the old mame92.

I just looked again and I found the tp84.ini file in the ini folder. I changed d3d from 1 to 0 and the scanlines are now there. Cool. One thing I noticed though...the picture seems 'crunched' and not as stretched to fit the screen properly. One problem solved, another pops up...lol

Come to think of it, MAME command line doesn't even have an ini folder. I actually copied it from the MAME32 version thinking it may do something, but never seemed to. It's really weird that the ini actually DID do something when I changed the d3d variable. Strange huh?
    Last edited by fabianscorpio; June 23rd, 2008 at 18:38.

Well, I kept a log of what I've been doing...

mame.ini file was changed...

1. - hwstretch was set to 1 after I noticed some of the games were being 'smushed' because of the scanline effect being applied. The screen needed to be stretched. Scanline effect needs to be adjusted because now the scanlines are stretched too. Toying around with settings seems to be the only solution.

2. - When I changed ddraw to 0 and d3d back to 1, the screen (time pilot) was stretched 'W I D E', but displayed in the correct orientation. The speed of the game was also increased.

3. - I noticed that some variable could be set inside the games ini file in the ini folder. This folder shouldn't be here but I noticed they seem to over ride the default mame.ini settings. This could be useful. I'm using the MAME32.ini as a reference guide to commands but this is just a guess if it can be accurately used as such. So far it seems to work.

4. - MsPacMan seems to run fine as long as scan25,scan50,scan75 are used. If I try to use any 'rgb' constant, the rgb 'overlay' is not displayed at all.
    -hwstretch, 1 or 0,does not effect this display problem.
    -FIXED! I used the command 'effect scan75' inside the mspacman.ini file and it worked! SWEET!

NOTE: According to the windows.txt file found in the docs folder, MAME checks the 'GAMENAME.INI' file. So this tells me that MAME does indeed check an ini file. So I guess an ini file would need to be setup for each game!!! CHRIST!

I noticed that my mame.ini file did not even have an ini path specified.
    The line read...

# inipath <NULL> (not set)

But yet it still defaulted to look for a folder named 'ini' and do a file search. Strange that it was not setup for an ini search.

...Now I guess I have to fiddle around with separate ini files and the options to really see what I can 'tweak' for each game.

This stuff I 'discovered' may have been common knowledge, but it just proved that more documentation needs to be available, or at least more 'clear' for the novice emu user. It would have been nice to know I could create an ini folder, and create ini's for each game when the defaults don't work out so well for games such as Ms Pac Man.

Thanks, FatTrucker, for the help. Any thoughts on this stuff?
    Last edited by fabianscorpio; June 23rd, 2008 at 21:04.

Abusus non tollit usum FatTrucker's Avatar

Just about all the mame functionality is documented in the windows.txt file. Of course the documentation you're using is obsolete because you're running a 4 or 5 year old version of mame.

You can set any global changes in the mame.ini but if there are game specific settings that need to be used then thats what the .ini folder is for - this is mainly used by people running on arcade hardware who need custom resolutions for all their games.

Hwstretch is recommended to be set to off with scanline effects because as you found it stretches the image and makes it look weird. Using the keep aspect setting is good as it will display games in their correct orientation without making them look squashed/stretched.

These are all problems largely absent in new versions of mame using the new video and artwork system. Due to lack of ongoing support for theold system I would still recommend taking the time to upgrade your roms and artwork to the new version of mame (lots more games working properly, Hi Res artwork, better screen filters, better sound - the list goes on and on).

Its probably worth noting that Mame has probably the most comprehensive, detailed and complete help file of just about any emulator. It does however require a degree of trial and error from the end user to find out what settings you prefer and are most comfortable with.
    Last edited by FatTrucker; June 23rd, 2008 at 21:19.

Yeah, I'll probably get things exactly how I want them, and then decide to 'check out' the new version. This of course will lead to more work...

lol

Thanks for the help, and advice.

I'm using MAMEui. lol I like it already and the roms I've tried all work. I just wanted to know what effect you use that you think gives the best 'arcade look'. I like the one MAME32 uses. I'm asking so I don't have to try them all. lol

Thread Information