psx emulation for Japanese games

laxnsun13

Greetings,
Thank you for reading my post. I recently acquired the ROMs for games of the EVE series (EVE Zero, EVE The Lost One, and EVE The Fatal Attraction.) They are relatively obscure NTSC-J psx games (more like visual novels), but the English version of EVE Burst Error was wonderful and hooked me to the series. I'm even trying to learn a minimal amount of Japanese to get me through the Japanese-only sequels..
The ROM will load without issue, but when I get to a certain part of the games (which happens to be, for one of the games, on the second line of text/voice) the screen freezes. The music continues, but controller input does not advance the game any further.
I have tried this with eight different BIOS's (North American, Japanese, European), four different display plugins (Pete's soft, OpenGL, others), and a number of different emulators (ePSXe, PSXeven, adriPSX, PCSX, and psx). With each setup, no matter how I vary the BIOS, display, and emulator, the game will freeze at the same point. However, the one emulator that I was not able to get the game to display at all (and subsequently had to rely on sound to get to the part where the game would normally freeze) actually made it past the freezing point. This leads me to believe that the graphics plugin may be the issue here.
Am I missing something big here? Is there a special display plugin for Japanese psx games that I should be using? A special emulator? Any information from someone who has used NTSC-J psx ROMS successfully would be greatly appreciated.
One more quick question - is there any easy way to extract text from psx ROM files? I sincerely doubt it, but just thought I'd ask :)

Thanks in advance! Happy gaming!

Tomtaru

hitokiri battousai
Maybe its a bad image/ISO? have you tried "acquiring" them from a different source?

Solis

Hello laxnsun13,

You can try running it on Arbex. This is the link.

http://members.at.infoseek.co.jp/DrHell/ps1/index.html

Click on the picture to save the file, then extract it and click on
the Arbex.exe. Arbex does not need a bios and does not require
plugins.

Change Video Output located under "view".

check stretch with opengl
check stretch
cycle 1 to 0
cycle 2 to 0
cycle 3 to 0

configure the controller, change the width and height to what ever resolution you use.
select the game your going to play under File/Cdrom spti or Cdrom image. Then hit on
one of the run seletions under "Run". I use Run2.

ABout the text i'm not sure.

Last edited: