Chankast + Core 2 Duo = suckage?!

mapzilla

My brand new laptop can run many of the latest game demos as smooth as silk on the highest settings. The specs:

1.8 GHz Core 2 Duo
2 GB RAM
256 MB 8600 geforce card
Windows XP SP2

However, Chankast still runs like crap. In fact it barely runs faster than on my old laptop:

1 GHZ Pentium 3
256 RAM
32 MB geforce card
Windows XP SP1

HOW THE HELL IS THIS POSSIBLE???!

I have seen Chankast fly on "lesser" chips than my Core 2 Duo. I tried Nulldc but it just gives me missing file messages. Any suggestions? Thanks.

FatTrucker

Abusus non tollit usum
If Chankast doesn't have specific support for dual cored processors (which I'm pretty sure it doesn't) then as far as its concerned you're running it with a fairly run of the mill 1.8Ghz processor....thats probably why as without utilising the multiple cores even a lowly 2.5Ghz P4 will out run it.

Its important to remember that a PC's ability to run software designed to work with PC hardware is completely irrelevant in terms of emulation. Even the best PC's on the market still aren't fast enough to deal with some old emulated systems architecture because every task a system did with dedicated chips in hardware has to be done in software on the PC emulating it (a bit like you taking the graphics card out of your PC and then emulating everything it does just using the processor).

NullDC has eclipsed chankast now so I would recommend persevering with getting that working. If its giving you missing file errors a quick google should tell you what you need, or using the search function here might yield results from previous threads on getting it working.

Last edited:

FatTrucker

Abusus non tollit usum
Tired of lecture and blah blah ? Simple words.. Get either one:

NullDC
Makaron

Simple, huh ? ;)

Do you even read peoples posts?. He was asking why it was slower on his dual core system than older systems and stated he couldn't get NullDC to work. So it wasn't a lecture, I was giving him the advice he was asking for....you can be incredibly rude Rockman. I sometimes think you lose sight of the fact that the vast majority of users who come here are novices who need help and advice, even if that help and advice are things that we tell to new users ad nauseum. Everyone starts at the beginning at some point.

I would suggest taking some of the advice you dish out to others so regularly and try to avoid posting in threads unecessarily repeating information they've already been given.

Not very helpful mate.

Last edited:

Jale

In short, if Chankast is not multi-thread compliant, it'd run like a Pentium 4 at 1.8 GHz. Having a Core 2 Duo processor doesn't always mean it's faster than the good old Pentium 4.

onewecallgod

In short, if Chankast is not multi-thread compliant, it'd run like a Pentium 4 at 1.8 GHz. Having a Core 2 Duo processor doesn't always mean it's faster than the good old Pentium 4.
No, this is absolutely incorrect. A Core 2 Solo, which is just a single cored Core 2 Duo would absolutely rape a Netburst (P4 architecture) chip at any speed, especially at things that run best on short execution piplined architectures (IE games). A 1.6ghz Core Solo would easily outrun a 3.2ghz P4.

spotanjo3

minimum requirements:

Intel Pentium 4, AMD Athlon XP or any other processor that supports SSE (2 Ghz or faster recommended)
ATI Radeon or Nvidia GeForce video card (or any other card that supports hardware T&L)
DirectX 9c
Windows XP, 2003 or 2K (other Windows versions will not work)

Note that you must also have the two necessary Dreamcast bios files called "dc_bios.bin" and "dc_flash.bin" in order to run this emulator.
If your PC does not meet all the above requirements the emulator will not work correctly or even not at all.

Last edited: