mame not running in full screen

jox43w

i cant seem to get mameui or mame commandline to run full screen it always runs in a window evern though iv unchecked " run in window" it ran in full screen on my old pc!

FatTrucker

Abusus non tollit usum
Make sure you've also checked start out maximised and in the 'screen' tab make sure the resolution setting is set to auto so it will run at the same screen res as your desktop. This doesn't make the games run in higher resolutions as mame will scale them.

jox43w

iv set it to start out maximised too not sure if i set the resolution to auto tho ill give it a try after jo jos bizzar adventure finaly loads im 1st booting it, iv also beeen using a program called quickres to set me resolutions really low maby this is casuing some kind on conflict im not sure illl try it without.

FatTrucker

Abusus non tollit usum
iv set it to start out maximised too not sure if i set the resolution to auto tho ill give it a try after jo jos bizzar adventure finaly loads im 1st booting it, iv also beeen using a program called quickres to set me resolutions really low maby this is casuing some kind on conflict im not sure illl try it without.

Yes it will. Not a lot of point in using res tools unless you are playing on a TV or Arcade monitor as on a CRT or LCD monitor mame will just scale the image anyway.

Last edited:

jox43w

Yes it will. Not a lot of point in using res tools unless you are playing on a TV or Arcade monitor as on a CRT or LCD monitor mame will just scale the image anyway.

you where rite i uninstalle the program now mame runs full speed yay :D

on another note do you know anything about soft15khz? i really dont want to pay £90 for a card thats priced 70 more than retail because its had its bios flashed! and isnt very powerfull for anything else.

iv heard of people using quite powerfull cards with soft15khz what im after is something for my media pc iv got a media case which i play to put under my telly and connect it up via scart but want to know what cards will work with it or not i know you have to wait for windows to boot before you can connect it its just i dont know what cards will work for deffiante

FatTrucker

Abusus non tollit usum
you where rite i uninstalle the program now mame runs full speed yay :D

on another note do you know anything about soft15khz? i really dont want to pay £90 for a card thats priced 70 more than retail because its had its bios flashed! and isnt very powerfull for anything else.

iv heard of people using quite powerfull cards with soft15khz what im after is something for my media pc iv got a media case which i play to put under my telly and connect it up via scart but want to know what cards will work with it or not i know you have to wait for windows to boot before you can connect it its just i dont know what cards will work for deffiante

If you visit the soft15khz site its got a fairly extensive list of drivers it will work with. I think the most recent Nvidia driver thats its been tested as compatible with is 93. something which was out around 2 years ago. If you have anything better/later than a GeForce 6 series then its possible it will be no good. I have no idea if it works on DX10 machines running Vista as it was designed for drivers running on Win98 and XP.

If its one of those dedicated slimline media centre jobbies that are about the same size and shape as a DVD player, then there's a good chance it will already contain software and hardware to allow connection to a standard TV. There's also a good chance it will have a ropey integrated graphics chip running through onboard PCIE rather than having a dedicated graphics card port which will make buying an aftermarket card impossible anyway.

Definitely worth checking inside the case before splashing out on any hardware.

Other considerations are if you go for a meaty graphics card, stick it in a space restricted case on or under a TV cabinet you're probably looking at 6 to 8 months before your PC dies from heat exhaustion decent graphics cards need lots of cooling.
Most beefy graphics cards require an equally meaty PSU and for a lot of off the shelf systems that will need to be upgraded too if you're putting a decent graphics card in the machine.

There really is no good solution to having a box that does all things. A decent gaming spec PC, simply by nature of the components inside it is unsuitable for sticking in a small case and its fairly pointless using with a standard def TV.
Far better to have a dedicated rig for emulation on the TV made from suitable components and a proper PC for everything else. Its quicker, easier and cheaper in the long run too.

If you don't want to shell out for an AVGA, try looking for one of the Radeon series All-in-Wonder models of graphics cards which come with things like TV-out and TV compatible graphics modes as standard. You might be able to find an early PCI-E one cheap or secondhand.

Last edited:

jox43w

this is the case i have

front.jpg

this was my 1st time building a pc it arrived yestaday and yo me about 3 hours to build. its a 2.4ghz core2due with 2gb ram because it only uses matx mobos i had to get one with intergrated graphics but i tryed my old pci card which is actualy less powerfull than the onboard but it disabled the onboard automaticaly so no problems theeir.

iwhat would mame look like via s-video? the only cards with tv-out i can find are hd which i dont have a hd telly and s-video

FatTrucker

Abusus non tollit usum
Thats a smart looking unit, very nice.

Looking at that case I would definitely steer clear of any kind of large graphics card as it probably won't fit in the box and even if it does it will melt in fairly short order due to the lack of cooling.

Mame should look ok through S-Video (scart is the best choice as it basically turns the TV into an arcade monitor).

Honestly though, if you're using a standard def TV then I would still go for the AVGA, its a custom designed card with specific drivers for using with non-hd, non-standard PC displays.

I understand what you mean about its cost relative to its performance, but to put it into context, my Lorry costs more than a new BMW M5 even though its not as fast, and doesn't have as many clever gadgets and gizmos but it does the job I need it to do better than a sports car....same thing with the AVGA, its there to do a specific job. And there's little point worrying about its performance for PC games (perfectly OK by the way) because a low def TV is pretty much completely unsuitable for playing high-def PC games.

Last edited:

jox43w

hmm thats a good point youve made,im not really intrested in the pc games but i do want to be able to run dreamcast emulation will the avga be able to handle that?

the main reason i bought the pc was for mame and other emus but because i used the hardrive and dvd drive from my old pc iv got to use it as my main pc at the moe but eventualy it will go under the tv and just run games with a front end.

i think ill just save and get the avga im absoultly broke after buyying the pc.

the only thing i dont like about the acvga is i will have to make a vga to scart which im DREADING iv read up on it and evern got some diagrams for the wireing but i still am unsure about it.

just out of intrest what type of lorry driving do? i was intrested in doing a hgv course but i looks kind of hard lol

FatTrucker

Abusus non tollit usum
I drive an articulated lorry delivering beer (Fosters, K1664, John Smiths and Strongbow mainly). Its expensive to do the tests now, doing the Class 2 (driving rigid HGV's) is pretty simple, but the jump up to Articulated lorries is quite a bit more technical.

Re the VGA to scart cable. If you email Andy at Ultimarc he will probably be able to help you out. He's a very approachable fella and if he hasn't got one he can sell you he will be able to direct you to someone who can or give you assistance in making your own.

The X550 will be fine for any emulator including dreamcast, its a better dedicated card than any on-board chipset thats for sure. Onboard chipsets are misleading because they are branded to sound the same as their dedicated counterparts but the architecture is different and the performance is significantly lower.

Hope that helps.

ValterUK

Hello! This might be a bit off topic but, still I will have a go at it. I am trying to play MAME in window mode, not full screen. I just downloaded a 64-bit version of the emulator and it works fine in full screen. As soon you open the .exe file it goes straight to full screen.

I tried to look inside the emulator menus for options to play it windowed but had no luck. I remember in the past the emulator was like a program with tabs in a window where you have all the options to it.

Should I try to download another version of MAME? Would it be a time waste? Am I missing something? Help would be much appreciated cause I really need to play batman (1990) game to make a review for my blog but really is making my life hard having it in Full Screen.

If you know a link for an MAME that works windowed please let me know here. Kinds regards

VUK

Last edited:

KAISY

Make sure you've also checked start out maximised and in the 'screen' tab make sure the resolution setting is set to auto so it will run at the same screen res as your desktop. This doesn't make the games run in higher resolutions as mame will scale them.

to auto so it will run at the same screen res as your desktop. This doesn't make the games run in higher resolutions as mame will scale them.

KAISY

to auto so it will run filezilla uc browser rufus at the same screen res as your desktop. This doesn't make the games run in higher resolutions as mame will scale them.

Last edited: