The Legalization of Cannabis

Buhutz

Cannabis = High = Low Conciousness = Do something horrible

People need conciousness to control themselves. Getting High is not a solution.

hitmonlee

Originally posted by Buhutz@Sep 18 2004, 11:44 PM
but its fun.

what's wrong with having fun?

i might dO SoMtHinG hOrrIbLe?

:lol:

ScotchGuy

Board Addict
Originally posted by Buhutz@Sep 18 2004, 08:44 AM
Cannabis = High = Low Conciousness = Do something horrible

Wait, let me guess, you've never been high?

If you had been, you'd realize how stupid you look, where did you get your drug information, you believe in the DARE program don't you?

I think it's funny that you make the jump from low conciousness to doing something horrible. When you're really tired do you go outside looking for people to murder, or jump in a car and start speeding?

Getting high is not a solution to what? That doesn't make sense. The only thing people are looking for when they get high is an answer to their boredom. Marijuana takes care of that quite well, and in a safe manner.

Right, so according to you, if I smoke, I lower my reaction time, so that means I think in my head, "MUST GO DO HORRIBLE AWFUL THINGS!" Newsflash, you don't lose anywhere near enough conciousness while high to do something you wouldn't normally. All those horror stories you hear about people thinking they can fly are untrue.

Generally when you get high, the following happens:
1. You laugh more.
2. You eat more.
3. Everything is fun.
4. You get a changed perspective on things.
5. You sometimes feel tired, depending on the type.

I suggest you get high, once, and then you'll understand how harmless it really is.

If you think being high is so terrible I'd hate to hear what you think about the legal drug, alcohol.

Corey4666

Originally posted by hitmonlee+Sep 20 2004, 03:13 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (hitmonlee @ Sep 20 2004, 03:13 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Buhutz@Sep 18 2004, 11:44 PM
but its fun.

what's wrong with having fun?

i might dO SoMtHinG hOrrIbLe?

:lol: [/b][/quote]
Theres nothin wrong with smoking pot

Buhutz

No, getting fun with the help of drugs or whatever is not good no matter what argument you give me. If it is, we will see marijuana and other kind of drugs everywhere. When you get low on conciousness, you will lose your reasoning, at least weaken it. It's the same as if you are really angry, you loose reasoning. And without a good reasoning you may think doing something just fine, even though it's horrible.

If you really want fun, go ahead smoke marijuana everyday and see what it brings you, it's up to you. And no, if you never smoke before it doesnt mean that you are a chicken or something. I never jump from a 20 stories building and yet, no one calls me a chicken.

hitmonlee

buhutz:

the way you choose to live your life, what makes you happy, etc. is bound to be different from everyone else.

all i am asking is that adults who are trusted to drive, drink, vote, have children, should also be trusted to make the decision as to whether they want to smoke marijuana or not.

El Fugitivo

You're a chicken.

Seriously, what people want to do to relax in their own time is no business of anyone else's, impaired judgement or not. Would you ban all unorthodox sex (i.e. non-missionary and more frequent than once a month) because there's a pedophile or an exhibitionist in your community? The drug laws are unreasonably restrictive, and they punish people who would be able to use drugs appropriately.

Buhutz

As long as they smoke marijuana and dont disturb anyone else, that's fine. But what makes such thing guaranteed to happen? That's why we need law, to protect other's people interest from other's people abusal.

Fugitivo : Using drugs appropiately? Come on, such people need stong self constitution and how many people do you think can use drugs (i mean illegal drugs) appropiately? Do you think you can be at the top of your mental condition forever, what if that appropiate guy someday feeling depresive and consume those drugs INAPPROPIATELY? Can you guarantee such a thing doesnt happen? No? Thats why the law is restrict.

Hitmonlee : Yes, like the first paragraph I wrote. They are free to make their own decision whether they'll use it or not but as long as they are not disturbing public interest.

This topic tends to continue to a flame war.

Originally posted by Buhutz@Sep 21 2004, 07:58 AM
As long as they smoke marijuana and dont disturb anyone else, that's fine. But what makes such thing guaranteed to happen? That's why we need law, to protect other's people interest from other's people abusal.

Why would a person high on marijuana want to disturb anyone?!? You know that most marijuana smokers like to be left alone, right? That most are extremely paranoid of cops? The last thing they would do is go out and try and disturb ANYONE. And sorry, but what abusal? You have to be kidding, or at least not very bright. Have you honestly ever heard a single case on the news about a guy who went around abusing people after he had some bong hits? I know I haven't. ;)

"how many people do you think can use drugs (i mean illegal drugs) appropiately?"

Lots. Illegal drug users do not have the luxuary of being able to use in the public in a bar or something. And if we get into more powerful drugs people are usually smart enough to get a trip sitter. However, when I say powerful drugs I mean stuff like Datura (which hilariously, is legal to cultivate and buy!), or high amount of mushrooms, or something like PCP or whatever. Not marijuana. I know tons, and tons, and tons, and tons of people who smoke mj at home by themselves everyday and don't go and disturb anyone.

"Do you think you can be at the top of your mental condition forever, what if that appropiate guy someday feeling depresive and consume those drugs INAPPROPIATELY? Can you guarantee such a thing doesnt happen? No? Thats why the law is restrict."

Right, because we all know this is only in the case of illegal drugs. No one ever consumes a bottle of whiskey after their girlfriend leaves them, and even if they did, they certainly wouldn't do anything stupid like acting INAPPROPIATELY and disturb anyone. Because the Government is always right and if alcohol is legal it must be a safe product that ensures the peoples safety from drunks under the influence of booze at all times. This includes drunk driving, no one ever dies of that. Ever.

ScotchGuy

Board Addict
When you get low on conciousness, you will lose your reasoning, at least weaken it. It's the same as if you are really angry, you loose reasoning. And without a good reasoning you may think doing something just fine, even though it's horrible.

See? This is the problem with talking to people about the effects drugs have with someone who has never tried them. If you actually do something you normally wouldn't while you're high, than it's not just the drug. Sort of like some people do things they regret later when they're angry. Should we make it illegal to be angry too, because of the possible problems it could cause?

Wake up, I don't know if you live in the US or not, but billions of tax dollars are going into a war that cannot be won. Drug use has not stopped, or even lessened. The prisons are full of first offense pot smokers who are nonviolent.

Who do you think is worse, someone who's high or someone who's drunk? Have you ever been disturbed by someone who was high, how about someone who was drunk? People get disturbed all the time, outlawing a drug to stop the possibility of someone being disturbed is completely absurd.

Alcohol kills thousands of people a year (not including accidents while driving) and people who are drunk are usually violent and belligerent.

Come on, such people need stong self constitution and how many people do you think can use drugs (i mean illegal drugs) appropiately?

How many people use legal drugs appropriately? Answer that, think of all the drunk driving incidents there are, that's not to say there are no incidents of people getting in accidents while high, but there's significantly less. Do you think that all illegal drugs are terrible and outlawed for good reason because they make you go crazy or what? Trust me, alcohol is much worse than cannabis.

Didn't the US learn anything from the attempt to prohibit alcohol? It ended up raising crime, and people didn't stop. If someone wants to smoke cannabis, they will, regardless of the law, should we really be spending money on trying to bust some 14 year old kid who wants to try it?

"So what's the solution? Legalization. By legalizing drugs the government can control the distribution and standardize dosages, thus preventing overdose deaths. The $400 billion now wasted on the war on drugs would easily fund clinics to distribute these drugs and to offer withdrawal programs for those who wish to break their habit.

Additionally, by eliminating the profit motive from the illegal sale of drugs, street crimes, including burglary, robbery and murder would plummet. Addicts would not have to steal to supply their habits and drug lord turf wars would end, just as they ended at the repeal of prohibition. Prison populations would also decline as non-violent offenders are released.

Currently, it is easier for a teenager to buy marijuana than to buy beer or tobacco. By selling marijuana through drug stores, teenagers would lose access to the drug and high taxes on the product would add to government coffers instead of draining them."

WellWellWell

Scotch Guy is most definitely right.

Marijuana is probably safer than alcohol. Mostly because I've never seen a person that was high on marijuana angry. Drunk people on the other hand get violent sometimes. Also most people that get high do so at their own homes. Meaning, they don't need to drive home to pass out like drunk people do. Plus a marijuana high doesn't really last that long anyway. So, if you're at a party and you smoke then you can wait it out so you can drive home.

I don't think that you should be able to walk into the super-market smoking a joint, but, then again, you can't walk into a store drinking a beer either. Therefore you should probably be allowed to smoke wherever you can drink (Marijuana bars maybe?) or in other designated places. I don't see how it can be any more dangerous than drinking.

Also, like ScotchGuy said, it could definately profit your government. I know I would probably smoke, on occassion, if I could pick it up from Wal-Mart. I would much rather do that than walk down the street and pick it up from some junkie that cut half of it with parsley. And now somebody is gonna say something stupid like, "SEE! That means that everyone will try it and get addicted!" That is just simply untrue. Most people have already tried it anyway. And the people that haven't most likely have strong beliefs against it. Beliefs that they are, most likely, not willing to go against just because the government says they can. It's just not for everyone. Just like alcohol and cigarettes aren't for everyone.

I would just like to sweetly add the following:

I was having a session (marijuana only) with some guys I knew at school. And they wanted money for coke, and they were talking about robbing a gas station. After they all decided they wern't going to rob it because people knew them there, etc....they asked ME to. They told me I should put my hair up and go and rob this god damn gas station! I was incredibly high at the time, so what did I do? I told them "No". There was no question about it. I was not going to rob a fucking gas station. Especially in this state.

But wait, acording to Buhutz, wasn't I suppesod to say: "YES, I WILL ROB THE GAS STATION BECAUSE THE CANNABIS HAS LOWERED MY CONSCIOUSNESS AND THEREFORE PREVENTED ME FROM MAKING A GOOD DECISION".

Oh right, he's never smoked it before and doesn't know what the fuck he's talking about. What a twat.