mamewah help

jox43w

i cant get mamwah to generate my games list heres the ini any ideas?

### mame.ini (mamewah v1.62) ###

emulator_title Arcade

### List Generation Settings ###
rom_path C:\Documents and Settings\ME\Desktop\MameUI32\roms
rom_extension zip
dat_file
nms_file
catver_ini_file [emuexepath]\catver.ini
list_generation_method rom_folder_vs_listxml

### Execution Settings ###
pre_emulator_app_commandlines
emulator_commandline C:\Documents and Settings\ME\Desktop\MameUI32\MameUI32.exe[name]{nodosbox}{nosafelaunch}
post_emulator_app_commandlines
general_app_commandlines

### Artwork Settings ###
artwork_image_paths [emuexepath]\snap
movie_preview_path [emuexepath]\previews
movie_artwork_no 1
enable_fuzzy_search 0
history_dat_file
history_dat_artwork_no 2

### Screen-Saver Settings ###
enable_music_in_screensaver 1
select_random_game 0
saver_type gamelist_slideshow
movie_path
movie_fullscreen 1
quit_delay 0
saver_commandline

### Additional Settings ###
music_path
lcd_display_file_path
description_display [description]{scroll}

### Settings used by MAMEWAH ###
current_list 0

jox43w

ok iv got the hang of it now iv configuerd it all to work and load games but. there pictures is not centered on the screen its sligtly over to the rith aboout 2 inches! any ideas how to fix this? p.s mame wah is awsome!

FatTrucker

Abusus non tollit usum
If you're talking about the skin then you can use the Layout Designer that comes with the Mamewah download to load the layout and background image for the skin and adjust its position and resolution. Sounds most likely that the skin is either off centre or displaying at a different res to your monitor (most likely if you are using an LCD display). Just take the background image (main.jpg) open it in an image manipulation tool (paint will do) re-save it at a suitable res for your desktop, then make the necessary changes using the layout designer.

If that doesn't fix it then post a copy of the last dozen or so lines from your mamewah.log file.

Last edited:

jox43w

the both the game select screen and the actual game play is set to the right about 2 inches mameui runs fine, i noticed it was set to the right the 1st time i loaded mamewah so i i dont think its something ive done cant work out what it is or how i can adjust it?

heres the log file

/2008 6:29:39 PM Commandline run: C:\Documents and Settings\ME\Desktop\mam\mame.exe simpsn2p {flags=201}
5/25/2008 6:30:32 PM Application quit: C:\Documents and Settings\ME\Desktop\mam\mame.exe simpsn2p
5/25/2008 6:30:33 PM Mode 640 x 480 @ 60Hz, 16bit colour selected after 2 attempt(s) at 1/2 second intervals.
5/25/2008 6:30:35 PM Mode 640 x 480 @ 60Hz, 16bit colour selected after 2 attempt(s) at 1/2 second intervals.
5/25/2008 6:31:20 PM Mode 640 x 480 @ 60Hz, 16bit colour selected after 2 attempt(s) at 1/2 second intervals.
5/25/2008 6:31:20 PM Layout selected: C:\Documents and Settings\ME\Desktop\New Folder\config\layout.lay
5/25/2008 6:31:20 PM Games list read: winuae-1.lst
5/25/2008 6:31:28 PM Games list read: winuae-1.lst
5/25/2008 6:31:58 PM Games list read: winuae-0.lst
5/25/2008 6:32:00 PM emulator_executable: \winuae\winuaeloader\winuaeloader.exe does not exist in RunGame!
5/25/2008 6:32:09 PM Mode 640 x 480 @ 60Hz, 16bit colour selected after 2 attempt(s) at 1/2 second intervals.
5/25/2008 6:32:09 PM Layout selected: C:\Documents and Settings\ME\Desktop\New Folder\config\mame\\layout.lay
5/25/2008 6:32:09 PM Games list read: mame-0.lst
5/25/2008 6:32:24 PM Mode 640 x 480 @ 60Hz, 16bit colour selected after 2 attempt(s) at 1/2 second intervals.
5/25/2008 6:32:24 PM Layout selected: C:\Documents and Settings\ME\Desktop\New Folder\config\layout.lay
5/25/2008 6:32:24 PM Games list read: winuae-0.lst
5/25/2008 6:32:28 PM Mode 1024 x 768 @ 75Hz, 32bit colour selected after 1 attempt(s) at 1/2 second intervals.
5/25/2008 6:32:30 PM MAMEWAH quit

FatTrucker

Abusus non tollit usum
Definitely looks like a res mismatch between mamewah and your desktop. mamewah can and usually does switch res but this can sometimes cause effects like the one you're describing. Try changing your desktop to 640x480 16 bit colour and run mamewah again. If the problem stops occurring then you need to change the res of your mamewah skin to match your desktop res. 1024x768 is probably your best bet.

Also your folder structure seems a little strange. Are your mamewah layouts not in the mamewah/config folder?. I would definitely recommend simplifying both your mamewah and emulator paths to be directly in something like C:\ so:

C:\mame
C:\mamewah
C:\[otheremulator]

Rather than C:\documentsandsettings\[folder]\[folder]\desktop\[folder] etc.

jox43w

iv changed my resolution to 800x600 and its sorted now. im new to the commandline mame iv got it all running but have no idea how to change the settings can you tell me how to add scanlines?

oh and my folder directorys are all dogey as i was just testing out mamewah and mala when i put them on my mame rig ill do it all propley.

FatTrucker

Abusus non tollit usum
If you've set mame up properly then you should have a file called mame.ini in your mame folder. One of the entries in the mame.ini is called 'effects'. You can download the various effects files like scanlines from HERE (you can also get all the bezel and other artwork at that site.
Put the effects files into the mame\artwork folder.
Open your mame.ini and next the the effects entry, type the name of the name of the effect you want it to activate from the artwork folder for example:

effects scanlines

Click 'file' and 'save' the new ini.

Now your games will display with scanlines.

jox43w

cheers mate! you sure know your stuff, i just want some scanlines so i can mame on my pc untill my cab is sorted.

iv tryed mamewah and mala so far and for now im going to stick with mamewah so tonight im going to try and set it all up propley with other emmulators, one thing thats popped into my head is that mamewah runs commandline programs iv never come across a comandline emulator except mame :confused:

theese are the emus i want to run

mame ( already got this running obv)
super nintendo
nes
megadrive
master system
nintendo 64

i have no idea which emulaters are the best and furthuer more which are command line? can anyone give me any info on which emus to download that are compatible with mamewah i dont want to download a bunch and have problems in the fucture if they arnt commandline :confused:

thanks for all the help really apriciate it!

FatTrucker

Abusus non tollit usum
This site is invaluable when setting up mamewah with multiple emu's. It has downloadable example .ini's for just about every system you might want to emulate and by default the emulators to use. It also has links to the few systems that need wrappers or other launchers to launch from mamewah (Pinmame, ScummVM etc) as well as hacked versions of emu's to exit with the Escape key.

CPViewer.

Should save you a few hours. All you need to do is download the inis and their related emus and change the ini paths to match yours. There are also some nice themed skins there for using various different emulators with mamewah although some of the best can be found at Marcianitos' site linked to from cpviewer and the links section at the mamewah homepage.

You might also want to check This site for all the screenshots, cart pics and boxart scans your'e going to need to set off your game lists. They're all archived into downloadable packs per system so you can grab the full set of screens for each console in one hit.

Hope that helps.

Note: The vast majority of emulators can be launched from the commandline.

For reference the one's I'm using with mamewah for the systems you mentioned are:

Snes - Zsnesw

Nes - Nestopia (FCEU is ok too)

Megadrive, Master System, MegaCD - Fusion

Nintendo 64 - Project 64 (might require wrapper available from the cpviewer site above) other than that 1964 is pretty good too.

If you get stuck or need any other advice feel free to post again or PM.

There's a link to my Mamewah setup Here. Just scroll down about 6 posts for the pics.

Last edited:

fabianscorpio

Did anyone have any success in getting Project 1.6 to work with mamewah?

I'm using MAMEwah 1.62 and Project64 1.6. I've tried the wrapper program I DLed from the link you provided. When I choose a game, the screen flickers as if it did something, and then nothing happens. There I am staring at the MAMEWah list. Nothing freezes up or anything like that, it just flickers once and then it's done. I have the n64 ini (mamewah) executing the wrapper.

fabianscorpio

Nevermind. All I did was DL the hacked 1.6, replace the exe, and it worked!!! Awesome! I don't think I even need the wrapper to use it either. Sweet! Now to DL some games. :)

Any clues as to how to setup the controls for an arcade machine? I'm not familiar with the N64, but I played it before. Does it have L1 and L2 and stuff, or am I thinking of the Playstation? lol

Thanks.