about ram

memphiz_zero88

i've been wondering.....
is there a limit to install ram to your laptop?
for example, you can only install 3 gb of ram with windows xp.
i just want to know.

Zach

There are two limits when it comes to RAM.

The first is a hardware limit, where your Laptops motherboard will only support up to a certain amount of RAM. This info has to be gotten from the board manufacturer, or the company the sold you the Laptop.

The second is an OS limitation.. All 32 bit versions of Windows can only address up to 4GB of RAM (they don't even use the full 4gb usually).

64 bit versions of windows can address over 4GB of RAM but I'm not sure what the upper limit is.. I think something like 128GB

memphiz_zero88

so, if i install xp on my laptop, i can put max 4 gb ram if the mother support it?
because my brother asked me if i want to add more ram and i not know about this limit.
thanks a lot.

seether9111

ummmm i forget
I do believe that it also varies depending on your specific pc.For example, I have a Vaio laptop, that came factory with 2 gig ram.When I checked on buying 2 more gig I found out that it wont take any more ram!

I used to have a Gateway laptop bout 1 yr ago that was factory 512 mb ram, however it WAS upgradable to a max of 2 gig!!

But I am not sure if these limitations only apply to laptops due to their structure, or if it applies to desktop pc's as well.

Hope this helps

Zach

It had nothing to do with laptops vs desktops. What you are talking about is what I already mentioned, about the motherboard limitation.

Mavtak

so, if i install xp on my laptop, i can put max 4 gb ram if the mother support it?
because my brother asked me if i want to add more ram and i not know about this limit.
thanks a lot.

To find out what kind of RAM and how much RAM your computer can hold, go to crucial.com, which is a RAM manufactuer's website, and use their Memory Adviser Tool. After you get that information, either buy the RAM from that company, or go to another website like NewEgg.com to buy the RAM that you need.