vista compatibility

ulaoulao

Controller Man
Staff member
I wanted to open topic on the compatibility for vista. I don't have vista yet, but want to get dx10 since I have a dx10 card. One thing that scares me is the emulators. In my case I have a computer completely dedicated to emulation so if compatibility is an issue its not good for me. What I would like is a running list of emulators working or not working with vista. I would like to see this sticky, but I have yet to see a sticky request go through. So lets have it what have you found works or not..

Jale

Some emulators don't work with Vista, but as long as there are new versions coming, compatibility will improve.

Zach

The obvious solution is to not change your OS.. If it ain't broke and its running fine, don't fix it. Although a sticky would be nice, not really sure there is a lot of demand for one.

ulaoulao

Controller Man
Staff member
The obvious solution is to not change your OS.. If it ain't broke and its running fine, don't fix it. Although a sticky would be nice, not really sure there is a lot of demand for one.
This is a wonder full solution Zach and its what i have done, but is does not solve the DX10 problem. My 8800 DX10 card is losing out on a lot. The ndivia drivers suck and fail in some emulator methods like vga went full screening, snes9x craps out, and mame has issues.

I tried that dx10 port to windows xp but its not any good. Perhapses this tread was a poor suggestion..

Zach

I haven't had any problems with my 8800 GTS 512. I don't run emulators but I am run lots of other games and the drivers have been top notch, using Vista x64.

DX10 is a useless tool as it is, but even on XP I would doubt very much Nvidia has released "crappy" drivers. I haven't had any real problems with the emulators that I've toyed with tho and that includes MAME at some point or another.

That's been my experience with Vista.. not very concerned over compatability issues or anything. I'm not even sure you should be having that many problems on XP.. It may be something else buggering up your system

ulaoulao

Controller Man
Staff member
Yes but you run vista right? I have issues where XP cant take advantage of my x10 card. Over all its ok, but cretin emulators freek out. Specifically VBA full screen, and snes9x modes. Good to here viata is working for you, I cant wait until they release a non beta version of it..

Zach

Sounds like somebodies been watching too many Mac commercials ;)

Anyway, DirectX 10 isn't released for Windows XP. It's Vista only, so thats where your problem is. Sure there are some half baked hack project out there, but as far as I know, no official Microsoft release. They claim it isn't designed for XP. So really your only solution is to use emulators that don't use DX10. Just use older versions. It's unfair to blame it on anything, be it drivers or the OS when the issue is simply the emulators

Last edited:

ulaoulao

Controller Man
Staff member
Thx Zach but way off. Let me brake it down and apart for ya.

History of my dilemma
I wanted to open topic on the compatibility for vista. I don't have vista yet, but want to get dx10 since I have a dx10 card.
meaning I'm forced to use vista. My card causes a lot of problems because its not a true dx 9 card. I'm well aware of the fact dx10 is and will never be part of xp.

One thing that scares me is the emulators.In my case I have a computer completely dedicated to emulation so if compatibility is an issue its not good for me.
Vista is new and not even out of beta yet. So I'm doubtful that most emulators will even work on it.

My question.
What I would like is a running list of emulators working or not working with vista. I would like to see this sticky, but I have yet to see a sticky request go through. So lets have it what have you found works or not..
In other words can we put together a list of Yes work no does not?

Zach

Right well I just addressed whatever you brought up in your posts in the order they came... So, anyway..

Vista works fine.. I haven't seen a ton of threads around here about people having major problems, either because there are very few, or people are still using XP primarily.. So you're not going to get much of a better answer than that..

You just have to install Vista for yourself and see.. I don't know what this nonsense about Vista still being BETA is, if that's your personal opinion that's fine, but it is a retail product and I have had no issues with it for the emulation, gaming, and other programs I use. I've had the same install for months now. I don't get whacky crashes, and the only programs that haven't worked are the ones that needed a newer version updated to install and run on Vista.

Last edited:

ulaoulao

Controller Man
Staff member
Fair enough Zach. I just though this would be a helpful topic for many.

don't know what this nonsense about Vista still being BETA is, if that's your personal opinion that's fine, but it is a retail product
I'm referring to Steve Ballmer labeling Vista as “work in progress”

I dont want to make this a Vista debate, I'm glad you like it. Would be more helpful if you just gave a list of emulators you know work on it. I'm not just referring to running but any emulator you have ran and played a few games with. But ya, if everything works its not much good then. Most people dont have that much luck with newer products from Microsoft. For example I read a lot of complaints about HID's and Vista. This would be a good thread for that resolution. If anything else this could be a good thread to inspire others to try vista. Again I mean for this to help, not debate.

Here are a few more notes I read about.

ZSNES - either need to have administrator's privilage or check off the run in compatibility mode (XP) through good old right-clicked property. ( ZSNES NOTE: on vista home basic, whenever i start it up it drains all my memory and when i go in and out of it in windowed mode i get stopped for about 5-10 seconds.)

FakeNES - works with Vista Home Prem. I just had to set the compatibility mode for XP SP2

EPSXE - some issue with the aspi layer (vista doesn't have one)
Fusion - works!
Virtualboy - works!
Project64 1.6 - works!

other notes
The new Daemon Tools - reported to fail after reboot on vista 64.

Sometimes I think people are to worried about there personal opinions to use this forum that way it was intended.

Last edited:

Desert Drifter

Out From Under A Rock..
I wanted to open topic on the compatibility for vista. I don't have vista yet, but want to get dx10 since I have a dx10 card. One thing that scares me is the emulators. In my case I have a computer completely dedicated to emulation so if compatibility is an issue its not good for me. What I would like is a running list of emulators working or not working with vista.

Looking around for an older set of drivers for the card helps. Mine is an example, as being a DirectX 9 card but running with DirectX 8, thanks to Windows 2000, which using the newest drivers available pretty much give me a useless card (disabling parts of acceleration)...

Kind of agree with Zach on a point - "why fix it if it was already working for ya?". If it's that bad, try taking the card out and put the last working one back in there until yea can find a solution down the line to get it to work better - even waiting for Vista to become cheaper in price or maybe by then (with a billion requests) they might even release a different version of DirectX 10 for XP users, seeing our issue. As for my system, dare not to fool around with it - not even upgrading any drivers, to avoid the worst (conflicts), until install of a newer operating system...

About "availability", it's probably not going to be that big of a deal with Vista, though by the next two to three years, you may see a few games and applications "requiring" DirectX 10 to process them correctly, but as for now, it's still in first release. As for emulation, it shouldn't affect it much other then more as of the Gamecube and further PC gaming of the future that require of processing higher-end graphics and resolution...

Last edited:

ulaoulao

Controller Man
Staff member
Looking around for an older set of drivers for the card helps. Mine is an example, as being a DirectX 9 card but running with DirectX 8, thanks to Windows 2000, which using the newest drivers available pretty much give me a useless card (disabling parts of acceleration)...
- You wont find an old set for an 8800 card. There is no remedy for the xp troubles other then getting a dx9 card. The 8800 gives you dx9 emulation or backward compatibility which works but is not perfect. I appreciate the advice but thats not the question.

why fix it if it was already working for ya?
- I'm not looking for a fix?

I opened topic to talk about vista and to get some heads up on compatibility trouble and success. For my self, I'm happy with XP for the moment but as history suggests I will one day be forced to use vista. So lets leave to poor horse a loan, he has been beaten enough. I'm not looking for an XP fix, I'm looking for vista users experience.

Desert Drifter

Out From Under A Rock..
- You wont find an old set for an 8800 card. There is no remedy for the xp troubles other then getting a dx9 card. The 8800 gives you dx9 emulation or backward compatibility which works but is not perfect. I appreciate the advice but thats not the question.

- I'm not looking for a fix?

I opened topic to talk about vista and to get some heads up on compatibility trouble and success. For my self, I'm happy with XP for the moment but as history suggests I will one day be forced to use vista. So lets leave to poor horse a loan, he has been beaten enough. I'm not looking for an XP fix, I'm looking for vista users experience.

Sorry to hear that - hey, I have 1.536 GB of memory sitting around (512MBs each), but due to my chipset, it will never detect it for use, leaving me to upgrade while holding on to them as dust collectors...

Wasn't trying to give ya a fix, just suggesting to use something that else other then what your using now for the time being... As for XP, it's still here to stay, even Windows 2000, so let's not panic yet, though yeah, they will force us to "switch" down the line in a few years, though maybe by then we'll have more "knowledge" of the issue at hand...

Other then that, sounds like a "project" for ya here, so have fun testing around pal - I mean: "Controller Man". ;)

Last edited:

ulaoulao

Controller Man
Staff member
Wasn't trying to give ya a fix, just suggesting to use something that else other then what your using now for the time being... As for XP, it's still here to stay, even Windows 2000, so let's not panic yet, though yeah, they will force us to "switch" down the line in a few years, though maybe by then we'll have more "knowledge" of the issue at hand...
- On the topic of XP, yes i love it. Always have loved that OS, and i can easily get over the 8800 dx9 bugs. I rememebr when it first came out I was not a bit skeptical. I figured it was the "ME" redemption. And it was redeemed... Xp was the first nt based os for home users. Not that 2000 was bad, just not aimed for home users. Vista is the first real upgrade to XP, and I look forward to it. Just trying to get some interest stirred up.

Desert Drifter

Out From Under A Rock..
ulaoulao said:
- On the topic of XP, yes i love it. Always have loved that OS, and i can easily get over the 8800 dx9 bugs. I rememebr when it first came out I was not a bit skeptical. I figured it was the "ME" redemption. And it was redeemed...

Yeah - "guilty" of that also, as making quote: "Windows Xtra Problems" and writting a humourous topic of how it's "filled" and "packed" with Micro$oft Bull$hit v6.66... ;)

I take it back though - with already "kicking" self in "backside"...

Last edited: