Ubuntu 8.04 Out now !!

cibomatto2002

Windows 10
Ubuntu 8.04

Ubuntu is a community developed, Linux-based operating system that is perfect for laptops, desktops and servers. It contains all the applications you need - a web browser, presentation, document and spreadsheet software, instant messaging and much more.

The Ubuntu promise

* Ubuntu will always be free of charge, including enterprise releases and security updates.
* Ubuntu comes with full commercial support from Canonical and hundreds of companies around the world.
* Ubuntu includes the very best translations and accessibility infrastructure that the free software community has to offer.
* Ubuntu CDs contain only free software applications; we encourage you to use free and open source software, improve it and pass it on.

Our Philosophy

Our work is driven by a philosophy on software freedom that aims to spread and bring the benefits of software to all parts of the world. At the core of the Ubuntu Philosophy are these core philosophical ideals:

1. Every computer user should have the freedom to download, run, copy, distribute, study, share, change and improve their software for any purpose, without paying licensing fees.
2. Every computer user should be able to use their software in the language of their choice.
3. Every computer user should be given every opportunity to use software, even if they work under a disability.

Our philosophy is reflected in the software we produce and included in our distribution. As a result, the licensing terms of the software we distribute are measured against our philosophy, using the Ubuntu License Policy.

When you install Ubuntu almost all of the software installed already meets these ideals, and we are working to ensure that every single piece of software you need is available under a license that gives you those freedoms.

Currently, we make a specific exception for some "drivers" which are only available in binary form, without which many computers will not complete the Ubuntu installation. We place these in a restricted section of your system which makes them easy to remove if you do not need them.

Ok people I had some trouble downloading from Ubuntu so I found a Torrent file I would share it with you all but I do not know if I can anyways it is easy to find also you need to download wine it lets you run some windows programs like Winamp :)

http://www.ubuntu.com/

TchuBacha

I am the Stig
Holy sh!t, Hardy Heron is fnckin' sweet

Basically since ive install ubuntu 8.04 my internet speed as gone up 600%

In windows Xp im getting 1MB (Paying for 8MB) but in Ubuntu im getting 5/6MB.

Proof

Im thinking there maybe something wrong with my windows drivers. Anyone have any ideas?

Zach

600%?

Sorry but... maybe you got some messed up drivers or have your connection limited in its configuration for some reason...

also.. what does that prove? all I see is a speed test.. and I think you mean 8Mb.. nobody is gonna be having 8MB Internet..

How are you connected to the net... Whats your NiC model and driver version, who makes it..

Are you conduction your speed tests between OS's one after the other at least, and not different times of day, different days ?

Also do you notice a difference in your everyday download speeds, or just some speedtest speeds?

If you're paying for 8Mb and getting what looks like 5Mb then your pretty close to what the ISP is offering you.. they never guarantee the speeds they advertise, only claim that it is maximum potential speed.. You could affected by bandwidth hogs in your area, etc...

Need more info than you switch OS and your speedtest is faster.. Windows can be tweaked sure.. but it's not going to kill your Internet by the megabit unless you misconfigured something on your own

leon_belmont

Killer of all evil
Yeah ,me too i am having a superfast internet connection now.
Now i am writing from Linspire 6.0 Live Cd which is a commercial distribution and has firefox customized for its own distro and the web pages are opening at lightning speed. Wow i am amazed.

Anyway in WIndows i downloaded FULL SPEED which is the best program to bring the Windows settings to the maximum ,since(i assume you use XP) when XP was created internet was not as fast as now in 2001 ,with that program you get a significant raise of speed ,anyway it cannot absolutely compare to Linux.

Zach

Cable Internet, not to mention DSL lines, and University pipes were most certainly in existance and use back when XP came out...

:confused:

leon_belmont

Killer of all evil
I know , but i meant that they were using only 1/10 of their full power then.
At least that's how was here in my country. It's still this way in my country for Windows users ,as with Linux i see a big difference ,and i don't think missconfigured something in Windows ,cause the guys of my ISP , configured it to work at "max speed" they say.

Anyway Windows rocks ,for some other purposes ,so A DUAL BOOT ,is best for me , since i am becoming an addict to Linux.

Last edited:

Zach

I agree both have good uses..

But Linux is still too unrefined for my tastes, to even keep it on under dual-booting.. One day the applications I need, and maybe even Videos games will be available en mass for Linux systems.. Just like they are now with cross-console and PC releases coming out at the same time..

But its still gonna take a long time to happen

TchuBacha

I am the Stig
I need to look into this more, as the speeds I was quoting were taking at different times of the day (About an hour apart, in the mornings)

But it still seems strange that for 3 months solid all ive had is 1MB no matter what time of the day it is, yet on Ubuntu 8.04 I get 5/6MB most of the time as some times ive notice it drops back to 1/2MB.

Zach

Your ISP is probably just overselling their bandwidth and different times of day like peak hours in your area will lead to net congestion, speed loss, etc.

TchuBacha

I am the Stig
Off peak I seem to be getting high speeds using Ubuntu but with XP i only get 1MB max. Ill do a fair test during the weekend.

leon_belmont

Killer of all evil
I agree with you Zach that it is still undefined ,although they are doing a huge work to make it possible even for the most dummie person out there :) ,i like having dual boot cause once i get bored with windows ,i jump on Linux.

I use Linspire as it is a great fun installing from www.cnr.com a lot of software .

Last edited:

Zach

Weirdness... Gotta be some configuration issue..

Try downloading a broadband tweaker or something for windows?

Ana

I downloaded this and I must say ewww !! and I though windows ME was bad :glare:

Zach

Well, there is nothing wrong with Linux, but one of its fatal flaws is you have to know what you are doing..

Even though most distributions these days come with a graphical windows interface, and are good at setting up most hardware automatically, the file structure and the way things work is very different from windows..

Things are stored in different places, and you don't always get the polished look you do from Windows & Windows Applications..

I could never find a media player I was happy with either.. There was always something that wouldn't play, but another player would do.. But no all in one solutions that kept me happy, and sometimes even forgot my settings.

Linux will be successful en masse when it looks more like windows, acts more like windows, and is as easy to use and troubleshoot as windows. Not before. But I'm sorry to say, NOTHING is worse than Windows ME.

AnAutisticDog

Such Coin. Many Doge.
Im trying to install Ubuntu 8.04, but whenI boot off the CD I choose Install then my computer just sits at the Menu screen.I sat there for a good hour and nothing happened, so I just turned my laptop off.
Is this normal?

TchuBacha

I am the Stig
Well I've managed to fix this problem.

I created a slipstreamed version of XP SP3, reformatted my entire hard drive and reinstall XP and all my drivers. Now im getting the same speeds I was getting on Ubuntu. I guess there was either something wrong with the drivers or some settings got changed somehow..