Mame rom dvds

jox43w

Iv stumbled upon a couple of uk sites selling complete rom sets for mame. Has anyone used any of the sites that could recomend them and verify they are legit and complete it would save me alot of time when putting my cab together

jpcline004

Gaijin
DO NOT, I repeat DO NOT buy those DVDs. The person selling them is breaking the law. Obviously we all play ROMs, but its one thing to download/share them online and its a whole other thing when people start selling them on DVDs and making huge profits off copyrighted materials. Thats not what the scene is about.

Besides, all of those ROMs can be found elsewhere for free. There are torrent sites that soley have fullsets. Don't ask here where they are, use google.

*edit* sorry but this is one of my biggest pet peeves. The game companies have pretty much left the MAME scene to itself but the more pirates we get selling ROMs the more likely they will put the squeeze on us all and shut it down.

Last edited:

Zach

Really though... MAME is not going to get shut down because people sell ROM CD's..

I don't know how many times it needs to be said.. Emulators are completely legal and there is no law in existance that can shut them down. An emulator is no different than a competitor reverse engineering a product and selling it on their own. Only Emulators are software for PC's and not physical hardware.

Feel free to tell people not to buy illegal copyrighted ROMS, or ask for links, or provide links. That's perfectly fine.. But I hate it when people try to guilt each other by claiming an emulator project is going to be shutdown because someone bought a ROM CD, or people keep asking when the next version is gonna be out and piss off the programmer(s)..

That's all.. Carry on.

jpcline004

Gaijin
Really though... MAME is not going to get shut down because people sell ROM CD's..

I don't know how many times it needs to be said.. Emulators are completely legal and there is no law in existance that can shut them down. An emulator is no different than a competitor reverse engineering a product and selling it on their own. Only Emulators are software for PC's and not physical hardware.

Feel free to tell people not to buy illegal copyrighted ROMS, or ask for links, or provide links. That's perfectly fine.. But I hate it when people try to guilt each other by claiming an emulator project is going to be shutdown because someone bought a ROM CD, or people keep asking when the next version is gonna be out and piss off the programmer(s)..

That's all.. Carry on.

I said the scene not the emulator itself. And by scene I mean ROM sites. There is nothing they can do to shut an emulator down because like you said its legal. MAME isn't going anywhere anytime soon.

Game companies have pretty much left ROM sites alone, with the exception of Nintendo and some companies, and I would like to keep it that way. When people are selling full sets its no longer file sharing, its pirating and that just makes the rest of the scene look bad. It not like I am coming out of left field with this, I think everyone can agree that people who sell stuff that is easily available for free online are doing something wrong.

Last edited:

jox43w

Thats the impresion i was under considering the price of 15 dvds with cases printed covers and postage i cant evern see how they make a profit also some say if you send them the dvds they will send them back loaded with roms fref

Zach

Charging for the time you spent putting the DVD's together is not going to save anyone from being prosecuted.. Flimsy arguments like that would be destroyed by any competent lawyer.

Here is an interesting situation from a few years ago, in which some stupid company tried to sue Mythic Entertainment (Dark Age of Camelot) over the issue of selling game items and characters outside of the game world.

http://virtual-economy.org/blog/blacksnow_interactive_the_docu

As far as I know, there has never been a ruling in the USA that clarifies what rights users have with regards to characters and items sales via MMO's - and this relates to this thread because most of these morons try to hide behind the clause they are recouping their "time & investment" (or "services" depending on how you look at it) in playing in the game, not selling the items themselves for money.

Personally I don't see how this will ever fly in court until copyright laws are changes, or ELUA's everywhere are ruled illegal and rights violating.

As far as I know the only legal services in this case, are paying a company to play your character for you, to meet specific level/ equipment/money requirements. So no product change of hands takes place.. So at least that can never really transfer to the ROMS distribution scene either.

Last edited: