Using Gamepad to Emulate N64's control stick?

mussash9

Hi,
I bought a Logitech Dual action controller, hoping I could use it for an n64 emulator. Most games, like Mario, use the n64 controller for 360 degree movement, and there is also different sensitivity (like if you just barely push the control stick in Super Mario, it causes Mario to walk- but if you push it all the way, he runs).

So is there any way I can get the 360 degree movement (instead of just up, down, left, right) and perhaps the sensitivity from my gamepad?
If o, what plugins/emulator should I use?
Thanks for the help

ulaoulao

Controller Man
Staff member
most if not all gamepad plugins have controls for analog sensitivity. There should be deadzone and like settings. Also make sure you joystick has a complete range (calibrated) in you logitech software, and in the emu.

for example

controls.png

see the analog stick range? This is the NRage pluging.

Last edited:

mussash9

I appreciate the help, and the screen ulaoulao. I have downloaded the Logitech Driver and calibrated the joystick using it. I also am using Project64 and that exact plugin. But still, it's the same thing. When I adjust the Range while playing Mario, for example, I can get him to walk when I push the joystick... but then he can't run (he seems limited to one speed only). In other words the emulator is only registering one kind of push of the joystick in the four directions still.

This is hard to explain, but let me clarify just in case: when I slightly push the joystick to the upper left, Mario SHOULD walk slowly in that direction. Then when I push harder, Mario SHOULD run. But now, it doesn't matter whether I push slightly or push hard- Mario does the same thing- he either walks or runs depending on how I set the Range.

Last edited:

ulaoulao

Controller Man
Staff member
This is hard to explain,
- No need i had that happen once. I had to do 3 things. One of witch was to use a different plug in. I may be able to get it later for you.. Also had to check my calb in my joystick panel and make sure I get full range. the little + had to touch the edges of the calibration box. Then I had to play with my dead zones and some other setting I forget. I don't see them in this plugin, but I know its in another. It took me 20 minutes to get it right.

Last edited:

mussash9

I figured out my problem. My joystick has two analog sticks- and I have been using the left one. The right one actually uses 360 degree movement and sensitivity.

From playing on an n64 controller, Im used to using my left hand for the analog stick. Is there some way I can reverse them wit project64? Again, when I simply try to assign the left analog stick for analog controls, it doesn't allow for sensitivity nor 360 degree movement.
Thanks again

nasman3188

i did some messing around with this using a logitech ps3 controller, but it should work with whatever gamepad.

go to control panel ----> game controllers

click properties

go to the settings tab and click calibrate.

when it tells you to use the four corners on the d-pad, just use the left analog stick instead.

after that you calibrate the right joystick, then finish. then go to your emu... im using pj64 with the nrage controller plugin, and remap the controls.

i think what this does is trick the computer into reading the joystick as an analog pad, which has 360 range of motion and push sensitivity? idk, but after i did this pj64 started reading the left stick as how it used to read the dpad, and vice versa, and it started working just how i (and i believe you as well) wanted.