PS3 Emulator??

Status
Not open for further replies.

enanthate

What are you saying? a PS3 emulator? haha that's funny ,it has a Cell Broadband Processor

Has a whopping 8 cores that run at 3.2GHZ each

6 are for games
1 for security
one is not used.
3 times more powerful than XBOX360
Can you imagine a PC that will emulate it well right now???

Actually not..

3.2 GHz Cell Broadband Engine with 1 PPE & 7 SPEs

NOT 8 x 3.2ghz cpus!! Lol that would be insane.

My current laptop would kill a ps3 2 times over at least and it does not have 8cpu's :p

mozzaq

Well i would like to tell all people that in japan a computer technology is being built which is a million times faster than the normal computer.
emulation is not just hardware but also software.

hackboy

Wow! There's not a good PS2 emulator and you're already asking for a PS3 one? :confused:

[/QUOTE]yes lol u right ps2 emulator sucks only 1 of a thousand titles run on it.........Ps2 emulator is still in advancing state and is not compatible with games and sometimes is really really F**king Slow

Last edited:

SamHocevar

Actually not..

3.2 GHz Cell Broadband Engine with 1 PPE & 7 SPEs

NOT 8 x 3.2ghz cpus!! Lol that would be insane.

My current laptop would kill a ps3 2 times over at least and it does not have 8cpu's :p

The PS3 PPU is actually multithreaded, it needs to be seen as two CPUs. And the SPUs are actually more powerful than the CPU, thanks to their 128 registers. So talking about 8 CPUs is factually incorrect, but quite close to the reality.

There is no way your laptop's CPU is more powerful than a Cell. If PC games are better-looking nowadays than their PS3 counterparts, it's because PCs have more memory (the PS3 only has 256MB of RAM) so they are able to store more textures, more complex meshes, and more precomputed data, and because they have better GPUs with more memory (the PS3 only has 256MB of VRAM), allowing to render more textures, run more complex shaders, display more particles, in a higher resolution, with antialiasing etc. But for pure number crunching, the Cell outperforms any laptop CPU I know.

Now in terms of emulation, the Cell is a nightmare. The PPU is not a problem, OS X is the proof that an X86 CPU can run PowerPC binaries efficiently. But for a given SPU program, even if there is a way to do the same task on a PC, you can't simply do the task the PC way: you need to emulate code that was specifically written for the SPUs, taking advantage of the super-fast local memory and 128 vector registers.

Last edited:

enanthate

The PS3 PPU is actually multithreaded, it needs to be seen as two CPUs. And the SPUs are actually more powerful than the CPU, thanks to their 128 registers. So talking about 8 CPUs is factually incorrect, but quite close to the reality.

There is no way your laptop's CPU is more powerful than a Cell. If PC games are better-looking nowadays than their PS3 counterparts, it's because PCs have more memory (the PS3 only has 256MB of RAM) so they are able to store more textures, more complex meshes, and more precomputed data, and because they have better GPUs with more memory (the PS3 only has 256MB of VRAM), allowing to render more textures, run more complex shaders, display more particles, in a higher resolution, with antialiasing etc. But for pure number crunching, the Cell outperforms any laptop CPU I know.

Now in terms of emulation, the Cell is a nightmare. The PPU is not a problem, OS X is the proof that an X86 CPU can run PowerPC binaries efficiently. But for a given SPU program, even if there is a way to do the same task on a PC, you can't simply do the task the PC way: you need to emulate code that was specifically written for the SPUs, taking advantage of the super-fast local memory and 128 vector registers.

I really do think my laptop is more powerfull than the ps3 :p

specs:

Intel? Core? i7-975 Processor Extreme Edition ( 8MB L3 Cache, 3.33GHz, 6.4GT/sec QPI )

Nvidia GeForce GTX 280M Graphics with 1GB DDR3 Video Memory

12GB Triple Channel DDR3 SDRAM at 1333MHz - 3 X 4GB

3x 160GB Intel SATA2 Solid State Disk Drive - Raid-0

Sager notebooks :)

Jale

You can't compare a PS3 hardware with laptop/PC or other hardware's specs.

Last edited:

SamHocevar

I really do think my laptop is more powerfull than the ps3 :p

specs:

Intel? Core? i7-975 Processor Extreme Edition ( 8MB L3 Cache, 3.33GHz, 6.4GT/sec QPI )

The i7-975 provides 55.36 GFLOPS in double precision (intel.com figures), which means about twice as much (111 GFLOPS) in single precision (my personal estimation, I couldn't find any figures, but that's usually how it works).

Both the PS3's PPU and SPUs provide around 25.6 single precision GFLOPS. Ignoring the hypervisor SPU, this accounts for a theoretical max of 179 GFLOPS.

There is no denying your video card is far better than the PS3's, your laptop will multitask better, and will humiliate a PS3 trying to do double precision number crunching. But what most games do is single-precision computing, and as of now the PS3 is better at that.

soleda26

Hi,

I just got a PS3 and it looks and works great. Too bad there are not real games yet which will pull me away from Halo3...

Using it basically as a blu ray player and dvd upscaler (which it does surprisingly well, better than my denon upscaling dvd player)

I am just wondering if anyone knows if the PS3 can read and play burned blu ray disc, ie. movies?

I know that basically no one has a blu ray burner but I can see in a year or two that they will be cheaper and more mainstream. Then I can see how pissed the movie heads will be when they figure out that blu ray isn't hack proof.

Thanks in advance

FatTrucker

Abusus non tollit usum
Hi,

I just got a PS3 and it looks and works great. Too bad there are not real games yet which will pull me away from Halo3...

Using it basically as a blu ray player and dvd upscaler (which it does surprisingly well, better than my denon upscaling dvd player)

I am just wondering if anyone knows if the PS3 can read and play burned blu ray disc, ie. movies?

I know that basically no one has a blu ray burner but I can see in a year or two that they will be cheaper and more mainstream. Then I can see how pissed the movie heads will be when they figure out that blu ray isn't hack proof.

Thanks in advance

This is an emulation site, not an information portal for people that want to rip off commercial goods. The links in your sig also breach the forums AUP. Take it elsewhere please.

Last edited:

Ravernomina

This Thread seams old but i think i can shed a little light. PowerMacs have the Same CPU Architecture as the PS3, PowerPC. Now there are some PowerMac G5 floating around on Ebay that have 3.0 ghz and quad CPUs.... not sure if it will work but its an Idea... hope this helps a bit

darkvision

i think one of the big things missing in this is..who cares about the hardware!!!!! This system untill a few days ago hasnt even been partially cracked. thats 3 years of hundreds if not thousands of ppl trying. and they still dont have it fully opened up and the hard part is ahead..10-20 years is right...but we arnt talking for hardware to catch up. :)

PCGAMINGRULES

For anyone that thinks its just because the programmers are lazy or crap, they obviously haven't actually tried to do it themselves.

For the record the OS has relatively nothing to do with the machines ability to emulate in terms of the resources it uses.

So has nothing to do right? Then Why IBM used RISC Processor for their AS/400 OS instead of CISC? The only reason why Windows exist is because of CISC and Vice versa. Even thoug, like I said before, CISC architecture is not 100% exploded due to Windows philosophy, and yes Linux makes CISC faster.

FatTrucker

Abusus non tollit usum
So has nothing to do right? Then Why IBM used RISC Processor for their AS/400 OS instead of CISC? The only reason why Windows exist is because of CISC and Vice versa. Even thoug, like I said before, CISC architecture is not 100% exploded due to Windows philosophy, and yes Linux makes CISC faster.

Its still got no real impact on the systems ability to emulate or not. Are you saying that an equivalent system running linux will magically improve its number crunching abilities by the significant amounts needed for faithful emulation of current gen hardware?....of course it won't. Why muddy the waters and try to confuse people?. If you want to champion Linux, or any other kind of software environment then go right ahead but lets not make it out to be something its not eh?.

PCGAMINGRULES

FatTrucker

I am shocked with your statements. First of all, absolutely, software affects the output of your hardware, there is a basic: garbage in, garbage out. That is why tools like AMD Fusion for gaming exists, (and just for the record it has nothing to do with software like Game Booster). AMD Fusion maximizes the good usage of every bit in your hardware by shutting down services, policies, and processes that adds no value (garbage) to the specific purpose of gaming. So if a simple tool can do that imagine what a whole different software can do. Even in windows you can see that difference in a 32-bit version vs. a 64 bit. What good could be to have 64 bit hardware if software is only using 32 to transfer data?
Also let me tell you that I trying to help people who has questions about how software and hardware works and how they interact each other without going too into detail and technical. They gotta do their own home work and decide what is best for them since there is a world of software and hardware that you can put togheter in several ways.
So who ever wanting to get the maximum out their system for emulations purposes, needs some understanding of using different combinations of software and hardware.
That is why some people go the overcloking-tweaking way (for maximum performance). Some people go with factory settings.

Ravernomina

FatTrucker

I am shocked with your statements. First of all, absolutely, software affects the output of your hardware, there is a basic: garbage in, garbage out. That is why tools like AMD Fusion for gaming exists, (and just for the record it has nothing to do with software like Game Booster). AMD Fusion maximizes the good usage of every bit in your hardware by shutting down services, policies, and processes that adds no value (garbage) to the specific purpose of gaming. So if a simple tool can do that imagine what a whole different software can do. Even in windows you can see that difference in a 32-bit version vs. a 64 bit. What good could be to have 64 bit hardware if software is only using 32 to transfer data?
Also let me tell you that I trying to help people who has questions about how software and hardware works and how they interact each other without going too into detail and technical. They gotta do their own home work and decide what is best for them since there is a world of software and hardware that you can put togheter in several ways.
So who ever wanting to get the maximum out their system for emulations purposes, needs some understanding of using different combinations of software and hardware.
That is why some people go the overcloking-tweaking way (for maximum performance). Some people go with factory settings.

Thats Great my Mac Can run that 2... Its called Grand Central Dispatch, Which AMD got the Source from Apple Because Apple made it an Open Source Project

PCGAMINGRULES

Thats Great my Mac Can run that 2... Its called Grand Central Dispatch, Which AMD got the Source from Apple Because Apple made it an Open Source Project

I did not know that. It is a little bit hard for me to believe it but I will research on it since AMD Fusion for Gaming was designed primarily for Dragon Platform, meaning their hardware which still is ruled by Windows (mainly) but Mac (Thanks God for Mac) is based on Unix, pretty much like Linux. Thats is why a Mac is so powerful even compared to a higher system based on Windows. PS3 emulation would work smoother and stable on Mac than Windows.If a Mac would not come so loaded with software that you can get for free but is charged for your Mac, I will probably buy one expecting to have a cut on the price by the cut on the software.
My Laptop
Core 2Duo T6600
4GB DDR3
400GB
NVIDIA GT230M with HDMI
E/Sata Port and FireWire
Price (New): $700 You see what I mean?

Last edited:

ulaoulao

Controller Man
Staff member
PS3 emulation would work smoother and stable on Mac than Windows
Yes it would, but dont count on seeing a playable ps3 any time soon.

If a Mac would not come so loaded with software
- You could try yellow dog.. and recompile the os yourself. It increases the os by at most 25% even better if you tweak it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.