Kubuntu - Ubuntu

cibomatto2002

Windows 10
I'm going to download Ubuntu when 8.04 comes out you can install this one in windows :) Anyway what I need to know is can Ubuntu run all Linux programs out there also can it run all Kubuntu programs.

Here is a video of Ubuntu 8.04 Installing in windows

http://video.google.com/videoplay?d...23&start=0&num=100&so=0&type=search&plindex=1

I think this may get alot of people to use Linux

Lets hope it is easy to uninstall

I hope you do not need to have windows to install it

Deezbeez

Hail to the King
As a past computer tech I can speak on the awesomeness of Unbuntu. You don't even need a hard drive to run it(or at least you didn't use to). As far as I know you don't need windows to install it as long as you have the disc of course.

Jale

Running Linux on CD is a lot slower than running it on a HDD, so I'd rather have it installed.

Zach

Not the first version of Linux to do this. Anyway it's not gonna make anyone switch..

Linux has too many distributions, and no centralized agreed upon flagship distribution that everyone should get.. While this is not really an issue, as most applications will run on any distro, except for when its compiled for KDE vs another desktop kernal thingy, or simply made for a particular kernal period (seems rare enough) it still confuses tons of people.

File organization also confuses a lot of people, as they are used to the windows hierarchy.. The most important reason many people will not switch is they don't want to give up their favorite applications.

That's a big problem for me.. Sure I can run a couple games, and apps via Wine or whatever but its not the same.. installing can be a bitch, there can be glitches, etc.. Until major application and gaming companies give real, dedicated support to Linux ports of their software - this mass user conversion, much like the second coming of christ, will NEVER happen.

Hardcore Linux nerds always preach about how "soon everyone will see".. Well that's a lot of talk and no action.. They shouldn't mistake corporations slowly migrating to Linux as some gateway to the common user converting..

It just won't happen, not until everyone gets to keep their favorite applications, and Linux gets serious game support.. Plus there are still ease of use issues to be sorted out with configuring certain hardware, etc..

Linux has come a long way, but I'm not holding my breath, and neither should anyone else.

cibomatto2002

Windows 10
Thanks Zach maybe if someone made a Direct X Emulator that may make people switch just kidding about the emulator I do not think it can be done because it would of allready been made. Also people say it is safe I do not see how it is open source how can it be safe. I think anything that is open source can not be safe.

I say that and I use Firefox LOL :)

Zach

It doesn't matter whether a program is open source or closed source. No program or platform is completely safe..

All these myths about Mac's and Linux PC's not getting viruses are just that - myths.. Windows is the #1 Operating System in the world, 99% of the computers in the World run one for or another of Windows, so naturally it is the OS of choice to develop all the virus/trojan/spyware programs for..

I will be laughing so hard the day Linux or OSX or other platforms start getting popular enough for people to develop serious viruses for.. All the dumb Apple customers in particular will be crying "omg wat happen 2 my 'puter!111", thinking they were invincible or something.

As far as DirectX goes.. You don't really need an emulator. For one emulation layers are slower. Secondly, they already have applications such as Wine and Cedega to allow Windows / DirectX games to run on Linux.

They are not emulators however, they are compatability layers.. They have found ways to get windows programs to run and pass the functions on to software on the Linux side, designed to handle the API calls. It is a very long and drawn out process though, but it has resulted in games such as World of Warcraft and other popular titles & Software suites being able to run on Linux at either 100%, or at least an acceptable level

cibomatto2002

Windows 10
Do you need Windows Installed to run Wine or can I Just have Ubuntu Installed

I did not know if Wine would use Windows to let Ubuntu run Windows programs :)

If Wine will let me use Winamp, MAME, and most Emulators on the site then I will be happy.

Also I guess there is no Antivirus programs out for Linux like you said who would care to make a Virus LOL.

I still think Ubuntu is better than MAC do you think you can find more Programs for Linux than MAC.

Also why do they not make Wine for MAC

One more thing in Ubuntu can I get to my Windows music files or any file I need from Windows from Ubuntu I do not want to copy all my music to Ubuntu if windows has it allready.

Zach

You don't need windows installed.. That's the whole point of WINE/Cedega..
Just google them up and you can read all the info about them..

I have no idea if they would run on Linux running on a Mac though, for instance.. (maybe an intel mac)

But the normal Mac by itself, I would say no.. It is a completely different CPU architecture than x86 and calculates things in a completely different manner.. Whereas PC's use x86 based CPU's, MAC's use RISC CPU's..

You should be able to read from any windows partition in Linux if you have the right software installed.. Some offer read/write for FAT16/32, and most offer read only for NTSF.. I think there may be write support for NTFS also but I can't remember clearly