vaio drive takes a dump!!!

seether9111

ummmm i forget
ok check this out.came home from work today with several movies i needed to burn.started ripping the first and then it asked for my dvd-r disc.i popped in a memorex dvd-r and waited but the drive never recognized the disc!

i assumed this was a bad disc, tried another and another ......all bad.

having had the laptop only 7 weeks, i returned to BB w/receipt in hand.after geeksquad kept it for an hour, they told me 3 weeks to replace my drive under warranty.so i made the decision to keep my pc and go external for the drive.what you guys think would you wait 3 weeks to get it back if it was your only pc?

anyways, i am looking at http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/LG-E...85288/catOid/-17223/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

is this a good burner?give me some advice!thanks:eek:

Zach

Looks like a decent drive to me..

But what happens if you ever need to wipe your machine? if your internal is busted, is it gonna at least recognize your discs ?

FatTrucker

Abusus non tollit usum
I would definitely go for an external drive for burning through a Laptop anyway. They have enough thermal issues without the extra heat created by a DVD burner.

seether9111

ummmm i forget
Looks like a decent drive to me..

But what happens if you ever need to wipe your machine? if your internal is busted, is it gonna at least recognize your discs ?

i just recovered my machine just before posting, the drive will read a dvd fine-just not burn one faster than 2x(and its not playable on any players)dunno?

like i said though, reads dvds fine.wont write them.

btw cant i read cd/dvd rom software from my external??plus cant you recover from the recovery partition on the HDD??i mean at least to factory specs?

Last edited:

Zach

Provided your machine has a recovery partition setup, then yeah I am guessing that will work fine..

I don't know if you can do a full recovery from an external only drive tho.. But if your internal at least reads then I guess its OK.

seether9111

ummmm i forget
ok, just to update.i bought a stack of cheap-ass HP DVD-R discs @ CC today.
would you believe that my internal drive will write to these??it stopped recognizing/burning my memorex discs halfway through a 50 pack.

memorex 50 pack DVD-R's cost me about $22.00
HP DVD-R's cost me $9.00

WTF is going on

I will stay away from memorex and continue to burn @2x or 4x.

thanks for all the help:eek:

seether9111

ummmm i forget
check this out though. if i burn @ 2x i get a nice drink coaster.but 4x or better gets me a good movie!!