Can't seem to setup my controller with mame/emuloader

mikerom

I'm using the latest build of mame, with the latest build of emu loaded, and i cant seem to find anyway to configure my controller to use it. (I have an xbox 360 controller for my pc).

I'm sure the answer is right in front of me, but any help would be appreciated!

FatTrucker

Abusus non tollit usum
When you run a game, hit the TAB key, and select 'Input general'. Now you can select each control you want to map, hit the return key, push the button or directional control you want to map it to. Repeat for all controls.

Input general will remap the controls for all games not just the one you are playing.

mikerom

It doesn't seem to register my controller at all - even tho it works in other programs (nestopia, visual boy advance and znes), and I've turned it on before starting up mame. I also tried just mame32 (perhaps an unofficial 'plus' version), but it doesn't register any input from it.

mikerom

I've looked around online, and found someone who seemed to have a similar problem diagnosed, and this was the issue:

"I seem to recall that it stopped working when they changed mame to use raw_input.

But to be sure, download an old mame, such as 0.113, and see if it works with that. If it does, then it won't work with the current version."

I'll have to try it when I get home.

FatTrucker

Abusus non tollit usum
It should be fine. I know a number of people using 360 pads without issue with current mame. Have you made sure joystick is enabled in the mame.ini and/or mameui options?.

mikerom

It should be fine. I know a number of people using 360 pads without issue with current mame. Have you made sure joystick is enabled in the mame.ini and/or mameui options?.

Nope! That would probably solve it, ay? I was looking for info on setting up the ini files, but was likely blind. Any tutorials/guides on doing that? (sorry for being one of those "ask questions first, look for answers later" kinda of guys)

mikerom

On another side-note, is Mame able to run outside of launching into full screen mode?

I have dual monitors, and have set it up so i can play games in one and still observe other things if need be, but MAME always launches into full screen mode, and doesnt allow any outside management, without quitting a game.

jpcline004

Gaijin
On another side-note, is Mame able to run outside of launching into full screen mode?

I have dual monitors, and have set it up so i can play games in one and still observe other things if need be, but MAME always launches into full screen mode, and doesnt allow any outside management, without quitting a game.

yep its in the default game options of MAMEUI. there are tons of video settings.

FatTrucker

Abusus non tollit usum
If you're using commandline mame, then open the mame.ini file and scroll down to core input options, find the enable koystick option and change the 0 to a 1. Similarly if you want mame to launch in a window scroll down to Windows Vidoe Options and change the Window entry from 0 to a 1.

If you're using mameUI its under click the options tab and select default game options and use the tabs there to enable the controller and windowed mode.

As a final note, if you're using commandline mame (not MameUI) and your first question was 'Whats a mame.ini?' then you need to generate one using a commandline.

Click the windows 'Start' button on the desktop, then click 'run' and type 'cmd' (without the quotes).

You should get a box showing:
C:>

First change it to the drive letter where you have mame installed e.g. F: (if its in C then you're ok)

Now change it to the directory where mame is installed. You need to do this incrementally for each folder between mame and the core drive so for example if mame is directly in C: you would simply type:

cd C:\mame

If its in C:\emulators\mame you would type

cd C:\emulators <hit return>
cd C:\emulators\mame <hit return>

Once the command prompt is showing the correct path to the folder your mame .exe is in, then type:

mame -cc (including the space between mame and -cc).

You now have a mame ini.

Last edited: