Question concerning Namco System 12 games

tekken_master

Hello. I'm new to this forum. I just have a question here about namco system 12 games on mame. As of now, tekken and tekken 2 run perfectly, with very minor imperfections which rarely occur. Both of those games I think run on the namco system 11 board. Two years ago, tekken three ran so slow it would take about 15 seconds for a basic punch to be thrown. Right now, the game runs at about 75% the normal speed (I'm running this on the same computer I used two years eariler). Heck, I even beat the game twice at that speed perfectly fine. Back then, tekken tag tournament and soul calibur were 100% not working, you couldn't even get in the game. Now it'll take you all the way to the versus screen and past that into the actual game, where it is glitchy to the max, and virtually unplayable from then on. In order to run tekken tag, you must have tekken 3 rom installed. Here's where my question comes in. Since tekken tag is running off of tekken three (as they use the same board), about how long would it take for the game to actually be in tekken 3's state as it is currently? As you can tell, the tekken series is my favoritie series of arcade games having been playing them since I was 9 years old. I am grateful for all the work and hard effort all membere of the mame team have contributed in making this all possible. So far, of the four original tekkens, two are perfectly working, one is about 85% percent there (sound and speed are just a little off), and tekken tag is well on its way. I'm just really excited right now, sorry to make this post so long, thanks for your answers and time!

FatTrucker

Abusus non tollit usum
While it runs on a variant of the same system 12 hardware Tekken Tag has different encryption which to date hasn't been fully cracked, this is why its in a far less playable state than Tekken 3.

As with all things in mame, it will be done when one of the devs feels the need to get around to having a look at it and/or someone breaks the unemulated encryption.

So it could be next week or 5 years away, you just never know with mame. A sure fire way to get them to avoid looking at it though is to email mamedev asking them to do it, so the best advice is just to wait until they get around to it.

tekken_master

Thanks! I'm not one of those people that begs for people to release certain things. I'm pretty patient so no worries there lol. However, I do find it exciting that they seem to be making good progress. Like you say, best thing to do is let them do what they do, and it'll all be good. Again, thanks!