PCSX2 And Dual Core

geoplanta

Hello,

I've downloaded PCSX2 and all related plugins and also PAL Bios. I am a bit disappointed from the performance I can have with 3d games only 17 fps and my computer has Intel Centrino Duo (Dual Core on laptop) and graphics card is ATI Radeon 2400. I've Elder Scrolls IV Oblivion (if you know the game), which requires a very high performance with beautiful graphics. With my PC it works smoothly so I wonder shy PCSX2 is so slow... I've checked all Dual Core checkboxes in CPU configuration. Can you help me?

spotanjo3

You should be disappoint with your computer and not pcsx2 emulator. The ATI Radeon 2400 is not that powerful. The PCSX2 can run most games above 30 fps. Your is not that powerful enough. What is your processor?

Geforce 8800 GT 512mb or above and ATI Radeon HD 3650 512mb or above are the better results.

Intel Core 2 Duo Processor E6750 (2x 2.66GHz/4MB L2 Cache/1333FSB)

Intel Core 2 Duo Processor E6850 (2x 3.0GHz/4MB L2 Cache/1333FSB)

[=== Quad Core ===] Intel Core 2 Quad Processor Q6600 (4x 2.4GHz/8MB L2 Cache/1066FSB)

or above

They are better for pcsx2

Last edited:

geoplanta

Hi,

well as I said in my previous post, games like Oblivion (and think about it, this game is published on Playstation 3!!) and other 3d games that require a very high performance from CPU and Graphics Card run smoothly on my computer, no I am NOT disappointed with my computer. I noticed that when I disable Dual Core feature in PCSX2 or enable it, there is no difference in FPS rate. I am only wondering is PCSX2 really taking advantage of my Dual Core CPU. Yes, I agree the CPU:s you mentioned are better, but still mine is not that far. it's Intel Centrino Duo (1.7 Ghz x 2).
Anyway, thanks for your reply. :)

Zach

Geo,

You need to understand a few things..

First and foremost, although gaming on laptop computers has really advanced by leaps and bounds these past fiv eor ten years, it is not always going to be perfect.. In order to get the best performance you gotta run your CPU at full speed - something that can still be a challenge for a lot of laptops and their GPU's when running that kind of hardware in small confined spaces.. If you truly are getting sub-par performance from your machine even with dual-core options forced on in the emulator your machine may be throttling itself. This is a protection method to guard against your machine become unstable or worse (meltdown).. Even tho today's mobile CPUs and GPUs are tailored for the task, they are still gonna have heat issues. If your system is throttling there isn't anything you can do except find a way to disable the feature with either some kind of software, or by changing BIOS settings, or something like that...

Secondly.. You can not compare PC games to Console games running in an emulator.. The whole point of using an emulator is that you are configuring your computer to imitate the gaming machine you desire to use. When it came to simple 8-bit machines and even 16-bit machines, this wasn't a huge problem. People's home PC's kept up with the power demands easily with a little help from Moor's Law.

However Playstation,N64, Saturn and every game console since has turned emulation into an entirely NEW ballgame. Modern game consoles are complex machines in their own right. They have very powerful CPU's that in most, if not all cases, are custom made. They do not speak the same language as x86 and x64 CPU's that we use in home PC's today..

It takes power to emulate powerful machines. The math probably involves variables that multiply enormously. It took a LONG time to perfect and understand PlayStation 1 emulation, as well as the best way to design future emulators and so on and so forth.. We still do not have a state of near perfect emulation, like the older and first emulators have been able to achieve. Mostly because it takes a lot of time and effort, and also it takes a lot of trial and error, and willingness to explore and exploit and reserve engineer every nook and cranny of a machine. People hit walls, they get bored, they reach the limit of their technical skills, etc..

This all influences how soon and how fast we can emulate new machines. It will take MANY years yet, for a set of PC parts to come out, powerful enough to fully emulate the consoles we have today..

Stuff like the PS3 is going to be a truly monumental undertaking, I assure you!
Try running a virtual machine on your computer, and installing windows to it and everything.. then run it and see how slow it runs. That's the same problem with emulation.. although we can cheat when emulating other x86 based computers, because we can write shortcuts for the emulator to use the atualy x86 features that still exist on modern CPU's.. That luxury is not available for home consoles.

Sorry this took so long, but I started typing and couldn't stop... Figured I might as well get the big picture across :excl:

FatTrucker

Abusus non tollit usum
As others have said the Centrino Duo isn't the same as a decent Core 2 Duo (which is what you need to run PCSX2 stably). The GPU is ok but nothing special.
As Zach pointed out emulation is an entirely different ball game to running on dedicated hardware. To emulate a system in software is a similar concept to your PC or Laptop not having a physical graphics card and 'emulating' all the functions performed by a GeForce card using just the processor. (Try getting Oblivion running on your PC like that).

In short mate your PC or Laptop simply isn't equipped to meet the current demands of PCSX2.

spotanjo3

Laptop can if your laptop is worth over 2 thousand dollars with better equipment, yes. However, desktop is much better and more cheaper. :)

Last edited:

obeanjoebean

I have question about configuration for final fantasy 12

I have the bought retail version of FF12, having a PC that outclasses a ps2 in proformance and graphics I was curious about playing FF12 on my PC

I was searching for various of configs for the game, but all the threads I found were 1-2 years old and wanted to know if there's a more updated version for pcsx2 .9.4 and 9.5 versions...

The game plays 60-400 FPS depending on frame limiter.
But I'm having a problems with the logos and in gameplay being upside down and the starting intro and sound being jumpy and glitches out alot. I expirimented with various of plugins and with no avail.....

my PC specs is
Running Windows 32 bit vista
Quad core 64-bit 2x intel Q6600
RAM 4.0 gigs
Nividia 8600 GTS

thanks,
Untitled-4.jpg

Untitled-3.jpg

Untitled-5.jpg

Last edited:

spotanjo3

try the latest GSdx version. I think it's GSdx10 0.1.4.

Make sure you have PCSX2 0.9.5 SVN Rev. 343 -- Here:

http://forums.emulator-zone.com/showthread.php?t=12512

.Use the latest GSDX plugin (get it in its thread in the plugin section).
.Download the latest beta off pcsx2.net and enable its speed hacks.
.Make sure you have DC options enabled in the cpu settings of PCSX2

Last edited:

obeanjoebean

I finally got the Final fantasy game work perfectly, (almost perfectly)
The framerate is always around 50-56 FPS and sound, movies run smoothly.

But now a problem has arised.

Through the game, finalfantasy comes to a certain point where it forces you to save your game through game and not through emulator... Well it saves fine but every time I exit from save screen the game crashes.

I've tried multiple of graphic configurations but no avail.

Wondering if somone out there has the answer to my problem

thanks,

obeanjoebean

problem1.jpg

problem2.jpg

problem3.jpg

spotanjo3

Good question.. Show your screenshots at http://www.pcsx2.net/ forum. They are the developers and they are able to help you. :)

Edit: Also Laptop is not very powerful for PCSX2 that I was told. The desktop is the best one for it. Yes, I mean Core 2 Duo or above with better video card like you have or geforce 8800 gt 512mb. They told me that it is better than laptop.

Last edited:

obeanjoebean

Yes, Probally would have to take it to the actual forums, thanks for your feedbacks :)

The only problem is that on their offical forum I am unable to post nor create a thred of my own.

Sad when I cant even reply to other posts :(

Last edited:

spotanjo3

You are welcome.

What's the problem ? What did the message say about your unable to post nor create a thread of your own ?

obeanjoebean

Yea, it says

You are unable to create, and/or post in threads because either the Admins have disabled your account or you are trying to post in a private thread....