burning dvds

seether9111

ummmm i forget
ok, i have avi files that i re-enoded using nero7.then burned to dvd.I know 4 a fact that the source avi files were good cause i watched/listened to them.
but when i burn them with nero, the disc freezes up at the same point every time, like i said the soure files are good though??
i burned them with nero as well.I have burned plenty of dvd rips in my day, but never avi- converted files.
Is nero just a shitty program????Someone pleeeeze help as I am tired of throwing away sony dvd-r discs!!!!
thanks for any input!:D

Zach

You're probably burning them too fast. Burn them at a slower speed than you have tried, or the slowest speed possible by your drive.

If the file plays fine on your PC, and slower burning still doesn't help, you for some reason have bad discs, discs not suited for the job, or your player just doesn't like that file on those brand discs..

Zach

If it were a program bug, then it would likely be a widely known issue.

I've had plenty of videos that showed up fine on my PC but when I used a bad disc or burned them too fast, showed artifacts/skipping/lockups in my player.

Anyway if you are re-ecoding your source files, it doesn't matter if THEY are good on your PC.. You need to check the files Nero itself produced.. If you are encoding to new files that are out of spec for your player, it can also be the cause of errors..

That's why I only buy players that will play MPEG/AVI files natively.. Since my player is divx certified I can just download DivX encoded videos and not worry about it.

Last edited:

spotanjo3

Yes, the lowest speed and the better it come out perfect. I had been around burnt programs for over 7 years with burning many games and don't have a problem at all. :p

seether9111

ummmm i forget
i am trying to play this disc on xbox 360. it plays dvd-videos fine from rips.onlly freezes up with the re-coded files.sine it plays the majority of the disc i am assuming that the problem is with the encoding/burning process. i am going to try the slowest speed next. let u guys know thanks a lot!!

Zach

I never use nero, personally, anyway..

When I want to produce DVD movie discs, I do it in a real encoding suite. TMPGenc has several tools which do the job nicely.. Pretty easy to find on the torrent circuits..

spotanjo3

Try ImgBurn .. Starting with speed X8 for better burning. It's awesome program and very small file to download. Much better than Nero. :)

Mavtak

i am trying to play this disc on xbox 360. it plays dvd-videos fine from rips.onlly freezes up with the re-coded files.sine it plays the majority of the disc i am assuming that the problem is with the encoding/burning process. i am going to try the slowest speed next. let u guys know thanks a lot!!

If they are DivX files, then you're in luck! The Xbox 360 can play those natively now after an update.

Also, if you happen to be using Windows Vista, it has a wonderful DVD-burning program built in, called... Windows DVD Maker. Go figure! :p

seether9111

ummmm i forget
If they are DivX files, then you're in luck! The Xbox 360 can play those natively now after an update.

Also, if you happen to be using Windows Vista, it has a wonderful DVD-burning program built in, called... Windows DVD Maker. Go figure! :p

ok the files are labeled as avi files. i was told this is divx format??is this the case?
also, how can i be sure that i have the proper update?i do have XBOXLIVE
:D

Mavtak

ok the files are labeled as avi files. i was told this is divx format??is this the case?
also, how can i be sure that i have the proper update?i do have XBOXLIVE
:D

I think it's weird the way Microsoft decided to do this: In order to get the update you have to try to open a DivX file on the Xbox. Then it tells you that there's an update available and goes and gets it.
After that, though, DivX videos play just fine. (Not though the Media Center Exdenter, though. They still don't work there.)