I got modded at GameFAQs for linking to this site...

akadewboy

All I did was link to the Visual Boy Advance emulator because I knew that talking about emulators on GameFAQs was ok. I was surprised to find that I had got modded for it because of the "affiliates" links on the site. That's pretty stupid if you ask me, Gamefaqs has the worst modding team in the entire world.

You're right, emulators themselves aren't illegal, that's not what I hit you for however. The link you provided gives access to other ROM sites *though from what I saw, fairly poor ones* and other links which are against the ToS. You've been around the site long enough to know not to link to things that give easy access to other things that break the ToS. Which is why this was a warning instead of a 3KL. A quick search of affiliates and some of the other links would give a person an easy stepping stone to ROMs, MP3s and other things which are considered copyrighted material. I'm not sure how you could link to an emulator download without also linking to other things which are against the ToS however. Also, you are thinking of appealing this to a lead mod: The site itself, from what I saw, doesn't have links to ROMs *well, it does, but they're public domain* or anything ToS worthy that I saw. It was the affiliates on the site that gave easy access to the illegal stuff. *That's* why you were hit. In any case, this was a learning experience for the both of us. Just be more careful in the future on what you link to, alright? - SF

It's ironic, because I remember leaving this board years ago because it didn't allow talking about roms, so I figured linking to this site would be completely safe. I guess I wont be linking to this site anymore.

Last edited:

AnAutisticDog

Such Coin. Many Doge.
PWNED!!!​

Zach

Sounds like overkill. Quite frankly I don't care what the rules are, that kind of reactionary BS is what leads to total censorship on the net.

What's next, being banned for breaking the rules because 30 affiliates "deep" into a chain of affiliates, there was a site selling ROMS on CD's? I mean come on... Who decides what cutoff point is acceptable, why one site is safe and another iisn't, etc.

For the most part EZ offers Emulators and Public Domain ROMS for download. Our forums don't encourage the use of illegal material, or where to obtain them. If that's not good enough for some, too bad I guess.

This is a personal opinion, not the opinion of EZ Staff

Last edited:

Zach

Then there are gems like this one.. http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-24.html

these are the same Highly Intellectual individuals who modded me for posting a link to IGN freeboard's-- saying that it was illegal pirated IGN content -- AND I WAS AN IGN MOD AT THE TIME!

I even linked them to my username there so they could p.m. me to prove my identity if it was such an issue-- also modded"LOL"

so I went to their version of board issues asking why it was against the terms of service of gamefaqs to be an IGN mod, and just when I thought the circus freak show was over, several users informed me that gamefaqs mods are not required to read what they delete because it would take too much time LMAO!

after pointing out what would happen to any mod who pulled the same stunt on IGN, I just let it go........it was just silly to argue about something so petty, when it was far more fun to make fun of them over it ;-)