a problem with chankast

Alon32

well, i downloaded chankast and a soul calibur bios in a cdi format and when i mounted it on daemon tools chankast said it cant read the bios dc or something like that.
so then i converted the cdi to iso and it didnt help. so then i thought its something with my computer (pent 3 800 mhz, geforce fx 5200, 256 RAM and windows XP, yeah it sux), so i tried to work it on another computer which have pent 4 with i think 2 ghz but im not sure what was the graphic card but i dont think that it matters too much...
and with the 2nd computer, it went black screen for like a second and and then returned and said that chankast can read the bios dc again...
i think its also important to add that the 2nd cant finish the daemon tools installation due to the fact that the comp has a magic card (this thing that format and reinstall windows on c drive) so when it askes me to reboot i just choose the "later" option and activate daemon tools.

camn, i wrote too much... well, do u guys have any suggestions?

spotanjo3

Your best bet is nullDC. It's the best emulator out there and more active and update newer version. The chankast didnt update at all and it is in deep sleep or official dead. Dont know.

spotanjo3

nullDC is much better. I tried with chankast and it was an okay emulator. nullDC rocks and best emulator.

Alon32

but that means chankast worked for you, to me it doesnt and thats the problem.
i'll download and try this nullDC emulator, but i dont think that the emulator was the problem.

spotanjo3

you need sega dreamcast bios. It worked for me but I disliked chankast very much. nullDC is much better, great graphic, update all the time and fast.

spotanjo3

Wait... You need to be specifically.. Have dreamcast bios ? Show your screenshot of the folder.. And your computer specs is not clear... Yes, it is strict to know what video card because nulldC is like PCSX2 sorta. Please be specially

Alon32

it is all written in the 1st post. o.o
i have the bios and i have pentium 3 800 Mhz processor, Nvidia GeForce FX 5200 graphic card and 256 RAM.

spotanjo3

I know but I want you to write it again. :)

nullDC ----

Recomended System Requirements:
----------------------------------

- CPU: AMD Athlon XP/64/Turion at 2GHz or Intel Pentium 4 at 2.6GHz or equivalent.
- Video Card: Nvidia GeForce 4 TI or ATi Radeon 8500.
- RAM: 512MB
- Operating System: Windows 2000/XP/2003
- December Redistributable of DirectX 9c

If your PC does not meet all the above requirements the emulator will not work correctly or even not at all.

The Chankast and nullDC have different ways for bios to run properly.

Once you have them, rename dc_bios to dc_boot.bin and copy both this and dc_flash into the /data directory of nullDC.

Chankast ----

recommended system requirements:
Intel Pentium 4, AMD Athlon XP or any other processor that supports SSE (2 Ghz or faster recommended)
ATI Radeon or Nvidia GeForce video card (or any other card that supports hardware T&L)
DirectX 9b
Windows XP, 2003 or 2K (other Windows versions will not work)

Bios:

Note that you must also have the two necessary Dreamcast bios files called "dc_bios.bin" and "dc_flash.bin" in order to run this emulator.

If your PC does not meet all the above requirements the emulator will not work correctly or even not at all.

Hope I can help you with that. :)

Last edited:

Alon32

well, apperantly i didnt have the dc_bios. bin and the other one.
but after i download them, what do i need to do?
the site which i downloaded the game from also said the game is self boot, so how do i boot it?
i also downloaded a "boot disc downloaded" which was on the game's page, what should i do with this thing?

sorry for all the questions, its just that i couldnt find any guides.

spotanjo3

You sure are confuse. oO

For dc bios --- what do you need to do ? Follow the instruction again in page 1 which I mentioned already.

The game is already self boot which mean that you can burn it on CDR and run on your real dreamcast console right away but for emulator it doesn't matter. Just run it with this emulator. Oh yeah, you dont need boot disc downlaoded, ok.

Alon32

nullDC's requirements are too high so i guess ill go with chankast.
but i still dont understand what to do with the dc_bios and dc_flash, like in where to put them and how are they going to make the game work?
do i still need to mount the cdi on daemon tools?

btw, yeah i know im a noob.

spotanjo3

chankast is not good.. you can try it and it is not good enough, thought.

You still must have bios .. unzip them and put into chankast folder.

Yes, daemon tool but you must have 3.47 because it is only one that will work with chankast emulator. Be warn that this emulator didnt update at all so far.. so it still have some bugs.

I know that you cannot run nullDC emulator but nullDC is only one that is update often and almost flawless.. most games are perfectly and some are just little bit glitches but playable fine!!!! :)

Alon32

well, i did what u told me, and chankast worked! i even saw the dreamcast logo.
but for some reason the logo was gray and this thingy under the logo was gray as well and a minute after the whole computer was very laggy.

can u tell me how to fix it?

appearantly the computer here is pentium 4 2.80 ghz, 512 RAM and Nvidia Vanta LT graphic card.

well, after a second try the game went on alittle, still with no clear picture and suddenly, after he reached a certain point, the windows "send/dont send" error went up which means the chankast closed.

Last edited:

Alon32

where do i check if my graphic card supports hardware T&L?
also, i dont have DirectX 9b, but can i use directx 9c instead? or is it have to be 9b?
where can i check if the graphic card even supports dx9?

spotanjo3

where do i check if my graphic card supports hardware T&L?
also, i dont have DirectX 9b, but can i use directx 9c instead? or is it have to be 9b?
where can i check if the graphic card even supports dx9?

No, you can update to directx 9c. First use directx 9c to see if it will work good on your emulator.

Alon32

i downloaded dx9c but im not sure its working.
i dont even think the graphic card supports it, i s there a way i can know for sure if it supports it?
does chankast even works with this graphic card?