Genesis USB controller

RiderLeangle

Is it possible to make a Sega Genesis USB controller, By using a Genesis Controller (Duh), a broken (the wires inside, not the port) USB extender (cutting the plug part off), scisors, and hopefully electrical tape (I don't know how to solder)

ulaoulao

Controller Man
Staff member
with out soldering sure, I would not recommend it but here is how..

you get a usb controller and gut it out, then convert the buttons from the gen to the usb "inereds" of the usb controller.

Making a gen 2 usb is not all that hard but the best way is to get the components and solder it together.

the reason you can't just tape and tie wires is that a usb need an ID chip to tell the computer what it is. then you must use a USB protocol to talk to the computer. So you either a) build one or b) steel from another usb device.

And,, no a mouse usb chip wont work...

ulaoulao

Controller Man
Staff member
Most people do this because they want the original joystick not because they are cheep. All usb devices joysticks and mice alike will require a usb Identifier chip, no if's and's or but's about it.

If you want a cheep usb joystick look to ebay or flee markets.

ulaoulao

Controller Man
Staff member
Why wouldn't I just buy one of those wired 360 controllers?
how is that different from
Well if I was going to buy a USB controller why wouldn't I just use that!?

To each their own. Personally I want the original joystick for my emulation. If a 360 controller to suffice for you then buy it. If it is too much, then converting a gen controller (no soldering) to usb is out since it costs the same. It all depends on what your are really looking to do here. My guess is that your trying to save a buck, and in this case i would advise you to get the cheapest usb controller you can find whatever it may be.

Last edited:

ulaoulao

Controller Man
Staff member
yes as I said before, any xbox "corded" controller.

the cable colors are practically the same, match them up. Cut twist tie, what ever you wish..

wiremod_020.jpg
I would recommend reading up on it so you dont mess it up, there is no guaranty I can give you based on your skill level. I have done over 20 my self. start here..

Last edited:

ulaoulao

Controller Man
Staff member
worth, being what one decides is justifiable of cost over time. To me H@LL YES! but then again I just justified buying a 50 inch plasma..

IF 20 bucks ait cheep you may want to consider an occupation change, though i gather you may still be in school.

Moral here is to each there own. For me to make an usb controller out of a joystick of any kind wireless or not, I will only spend time and about 3 bucks. This is because I'm one with the ways of a soldiering iron and electronic skills. Before this I would pay 20$ an adapters.. Currently I'm making a usb to any joystick box (see my link in my sig). Though this is all just a hobby to me. Whatever you diced, the "worth" is measured in the eye of the beholder, and not a generalization.

Last edited: