RedHat Linux Fedora Core8 DVD ISO burning problem!

leon_belmont

Killer of all evil
Hi i downloaded the file FEDORA8.ISO which is 3.19GB and i want to burn it in a DVD.

I tried alcohol 120 and after it said it was succesful ,when i enter the disc it' doesn't come up at the Welcome screen ,like it should,but just show the real files of the operating system,but i have no idea how to start the installation.
When i installed Mandrake Linux it was much easier.

I tried with nero ,and nero only show me the same file on DVD FEDORA8.ISO

I just want to install it for fun in my Harddisk D without ruining my Windows installation ,so any help is greatly appreciated.Thanks in advance

leon_belmont

Killer of all evil
Are you saying that i just need to make Boot from CD and enter my DVD to start installation ????

Zach

A live disc is a self booting disc, that boots from the DVD/CD drive before windows loads, as long as your system is setup to check the drive before your hard disk. It also contains a complete copy of the OS so you can try it out and see if you like it..

Then you can run setup from a setup disc, or in some cases from the livecd too.

leon_belmont

Killer of all evil
Zach you were right ,i installed it in my laptop ,but it was not able to detect my modem ,nor video codecs,so i uninstalled it ,cause it was not as practic as WINDOWS. Now i have a problem with Windows ,it has known some drivers but i am missing the most important which are:
1ETHERNET CONTROLLER
2MULTIMEDIA AUDIO CONTROLLER
3PCI MODEM
4VIDEO CONTROLLER
5VIDEO CONTROLLER(VGA COMPATIBLE)

My problem is that i have not the systemboard disc which i didn't get from the store where i bought it ,and the guy there tells me 48 Dollars are needed for him to install the drivers.
I think he is insane :)
Any idea where to download them?
My Laptop is Intel Celeron M processor.

Thanks.

Zach

It's hard to say what specific drivers you need, without knowing your exact laptop model (just the specs will not do). You have to know what brand it is, and the model number, so you can look it up on the manufacturers web site.

Then it will tell you.

Why is he charging money for that anyway? Did you buy the laptop from him? If the place you bought it from was worth anything, it should have included some kind of recovery disc with your purchase..

Also.. was it the liveCD that didn't see your stuff? Usually an actual install disc set (sometimes 1 or more) will have a lot more drivers, etc because it has more room, since the livecd OS is not taking up a lot of space..

It also depends on the distro you get, there are a lot more user-friendly / home user oriented distro's out there.. Ubunto, Gentoo, Mandrake, etc.

You may want to check them out too.

Otherwise you need to find out your laptop model and go to the manufacturers site to see what hardware is in it.. Sometimes, if it is a dell for instance, you can download all the drivers you need off the web site too.

When you fool around with OS's like this you gotta be prepared before hand, as you have now found out.. It's better to split your drive into partitions and dual-boot, instead of wiping the whole thing out, also. Recovering the windows boot loader is a lot easier than reinstalling everything.

You may end up biting the bullet and paying the guy tho, if it becomes a hassel to try and sort everything out now, since you were unprepared. In the future you should use backup software to image your entire hard disc, and save the backup image(or images) to CD/DVDs. For example, Norton Ghost. The latest version is pretty easy to use. Acronis makes software too, I think it's called True Image or something like that (I could be way off.. but my bro uses Acronis).

If you make backups to be burned to CDs or DVDs it's easy to restore too. Most programs come with their main CD as a bootable disc that you can run outside of the windows environment, then you just point it to your backup and restore everything as it was before you began messing around.

Last edited:

leon_belmont

Killer of all evil
Thanks Zach ,but i already found out the Video drivers and Audio drivers,and i have downloaded a lot of internal modem drivers for Intel Celeron M processor,so i guess i will try them out,and i am sure one will be correct especially i got a lot of Hyperdata internal modem ,cause i know they do a lot of drivers just for my Laptop processor specification.
Many thanks for your help.
The place where i downloaded the drivers was a site which had universal drivers for Intel Celeron M-mobile processor so they worked great for me.

P.S: I lost all of the motherboard drivers disk and many disk since i bought it.
I bought it 3 years ago.

I deleted Linux and reinstall windows.

Fedora was not a live DVD but a Installer which i only could install from my BIOS.

I used Mandrake in the past 8.2 with 3 cd version and it work great ,but i uninstalled it because i could use only a few emulators on it.But it was stable to perfection that Mandrake Distro.

And now i am trying Ubuntu 7.10 from the live CD ,it's very similar to windows,great.

Last edited:

ulaoulao

Controller Man
Staff member
Last edited:

leon_belmont

Killer of all evil
I will see them. You know the thing i loved most about Mandrake was that it had by default the KDE desktop envoirment and to speak the truth for me it's the easiest and best to use.

ulaoulao

Controller Man
Staff member
This is a big misconception. All linux build can use either or. Once you install one you can install another. in DEB based you just apt-get it. Also most builds like Ubuntu give you both download. example.

Ubuntu gnome
zubuntu Xfce
kUbuntu KDE

and if you install all 3 you can switch at login.

dont ever think you can't change a desktop.

Some builds like zandros and linux-xp are made to look like a new OS. So they use KDE only. Getting rid of that would undo everything it had to offer.

but for the most part it really is not an issue, just need to lean what is going on.

Also: About desktops.

gnome - for mac and old school linux guys
KDE - for windows guys
Xfce - for X people. People that just want a simple gui on top of linux

I use KDE because i like a cool looking OS, and cluttered with options, but that just me. comically though I'm normally found in the console or Konsole.

Last edited:

Zach

I actually ran Kubuntu for about a week, a while back. The longest a distro has ever been on my system.

I thought it was pretty nice, but a few problems and quirks kept me from keeping it permanently. It was pretty nice though

leon_belmont

Killer of all evil
For me Ubuntu dured only a install and a few hours of life ,than came from me the sudden death of the Linux. The longest distro for me was Mandrake one month and a few days.