Question regaurding emulator builds

Maholix

Nomad
Greetings, I'm brand new here, so I do hope this is the right place to put this. I have some questions.

First a bit about why I'm asking. I used to have a few emulators and several games. Which I do actually own; I kinda collect old school games, so I'm not practicing anything illegal. I play the games I own on the computer, so that the hard copies stay in good condition. However, my computer went on meltdown awhile back and I just now got another up and running. In the process I lost all my data though. Emulators, ROMS, Pictures, text docs, everything.

So the question is:

What are the emulators that are compatible with most the ROMS these days? I used to have znes but as I do not recall the version number and it goes through changes every so often, I am trying to avoid getting an emulator that does not work with most ROMS. I know that many ROMS are coded in a way that makes the emulator a major choice you see.

In particular, what builds of the emulators is best? (Say "Znes ver 4.56" or something) All builds will accept ROMS, but I am looking for the build that accepts the majority of roms. (which is not always the newest one) I have a lot of games being a collector and all, and I really want to minize incapabilites. It can be hard enough to find a clean, well working ROM without worrying if it will run on your program.

I also used to have an emulator for NES and Gameboy ROMS and will be looking to replace those as well, so any advice on those is glady accepted.

Thank you in advance.

P.S. I thought it would say that on my user info to the side, but it only says it in my profile, so I thought you may need to know that I am using windows XP.

Last edited: